Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 01-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
My version of an independent clutch reservoir solution.

I'll start posting pictures when I get home, but I thought I'd start a thread for this.

2009 G8 GXP is the closest chassis to our cars that from GM had a separate reservoir. I know some of you have gone to the GTO reservoir (which I actually think is the same as the G8 GXP) and mounted it to the wheel well...this works, but I hate drilling holes in my car, especially in a steel part that can corrode.

I ordered a 2009 G8 GXP reservoir, cap, hose and bracket...when it all arrived I found out I could have just ordered the bracket, as it comes with all the other parts pre-attached.

I also ordered a new 2010+ Camaro brake master reservoir...I don't want a cap on there, I want the OEM plug not broken off yet.

In researching how to install all of this, I realized, I shouldn't have ordered the brake reservoir, I should have ordered a G8 GXP brake master AND it's corresponding reservoir...that master has a threaded hole that the bracket is intended to bolt to.

I'm trying to make SURE that the G8 GXP brake reservoir will work with our brake booster, not sure why it wouldn't, but once I can confirm that, I'll order one, bolt everything together, bleed the system, and be done, completely OEM, no holes drilled in my car, and a list of off the shelf part numbers that anyone can order right from the dealer.

Like I said, pics of what I have so far tonight, then the rest as I finish.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
MikeOD

For reference, this is an OEM G8 GXP setup. http://www.g8board.com/forums/showpo...36&postcount=4

Old 01-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
2012REDSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Very interested. I had to take my gto resi off because of where my vortech intake pipe sits. This might be the solution I was looking for.
2012REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
MA2010SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
I'll start posting pictures when I get home, but I thought I'd start a thread for this.

2009 G8 GXP is the closest chassis to our cars that from GM had a separate reservoir. I know some of you have gone to the GTO reservoir (which I actually think is the same as the G8 GXP) and mounted it to the wheel well...this works, but I hate drilling holes in my car, especially in a steel part that can corrode.

I ordered a 2009 G8 GXP reservoir, cap, hose and bracket...when it all arrived I found out I could have just ordered the bracket, as it comes with all the other parts pre-attached.

I also ordered a new 2010+ Camaro brake master reservoir...I don't want a cap on there, I want the OEM plug not broken off yet.

In researching how to install all of this, I realized, I shouldn't have ordered the brake reservoir, I should have ordered a G8 GXP brake master AND it's corresponding reservoir...that master has a threaded hole that the bracket is intended to bolt to.

I'm trying to make SURE that the G8 GXP brake reservoir will work with our brake booster, not sure why it wouldn't, but once I can confirm that, I'll order one, bolt everything together, bleed the system, and be done, completely OEM, no holes drilled in my car, and a list of off the shelf part numbers that anyone can order right from the dealer.

Like I said, pics of what I have so far tonight, then the rest as I finish.

I am with you on drilling into my car, I ended up using the gto resovoir and made a bracket that bolted onto my brake booster, it looks like a factory piece except for the plug on the brake master
2010 Camaro SS Whipple SC, CAI Inc Intake, TSP 1 7/8" LT headers no cats, 3" magnaflow exhaust, HPT, RX Catch Can, LSR Toe Rods, LSR Trailing Arms, ALKY Control Meth, McLeod RXT Twin Disc, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.73 ZL1 Differential Kit, BTR PDS Stage 2 Cam, Tuned by SLOWHAWK Performance Bridgewater MA
MA2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
MikeOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA2010SS View Post
I am with you on drilling into my car, I ended up using the gto resovoir and made a bracket that bolted onto my brake booster, it looks like a factory piece except for the plug on the brake master
Well, if it works I'll have a spare stock reservoir that doesn't need a plug that you can have for what I paid.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
MikeOD

Pictures will have to wait until weekend sorry, and the GXP master cylinder is a week out.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
MikeOD

Sorry for the delays. Brake master came in yesterday. Going to try to install it on the car this weekend...but I am going to the Bruins season opener, so I might not have enough time.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
2012REDSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Any progress Mike?
2012REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
MikeOD

Hi, sorry I never updated. The master bolts right up to the booster, and the distance from the rear flange to the plunger appears to be the same. The master is 1 mm smaller bore diameter than the Camaro (I think) so I expect the brakes to feel a little different. The GXP uses 12 x 1.0 mm fittings for 6mm bubble flare brake lines, and the Camaro uses 12 x 1.5 mm fittings for 6mm double inverted flare, so I had to cut and re-flare the hard lines (I'm worried one of the flares might leak and there's no more room to try again if it does, so if that's the case, I'll have to replace that hard line and try again, it will be much easier to re-flare outside of the car).

In order to obtain all of the GXP reservoir parts, just order the bracket. I ordered the bracket, the reservoir, the cap, the hose, and the nut to hold the reservoir on. Everything arrived, and when I opened the box for the bracket, low and behold, it is a complete assembly, including the FAG reservoir, with the cap screwed on, the line attached, and it's already held on the bracket with the nut...so I've got more spare parts .

The bolt that holds the bracket to the master cylinder is a separate part number, so I am waiting on it...I'll grab one at the hardware store if I have to, but I want it to appear OEM, I think it's just a very short M8 bolt.

Last edited by MikeOD; 04-16-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
MikeOD

Sorry this is taking me so long guys...I've been pulling the rear subframe out and replacing everything there that I can right now (only the diff and half shafts are left...not in the cards until I save up more cash). I've also been having Mike The Powdercoater do my calipers (they're GORGEOUS by the way, he's awesome), I sent the caliper bridge lines to Classic Tube in NY and had them duplicated in stainless, which I received back, and they're awesome (at this point, you could probably call and ask them to make you a set...they should have the patterns saved in their system), and I'm still waiting on my stainless steel bleeder screws to arrive...so I couldn't pressurize the system this weekend when I finished the flares, and now I'm a few states away until Friday night for work...I've also been replacing the stock clutch with an Exedy, and I replaced my original clutch pedal with a ZL1 pedal for the OEM return spring setup...and the clutch line with the TICK one...and the remote bleeder...taking me a while to get my car back together because I've been sorta stuck on a work project that's had me away from home almost all winter...but I actually expect to be driving it this weekend, even if I can only take it around the block because I'm sure the alignment is going to be such a nightmare that I'll need to trailer the car to the shop.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
MikeOD

OK, sorry I really suck at updates.

G8 GXP brake master cylinder and reservour setup work great. You have to cut the original ends off the stock brake lines, and swap to proper bubble flares and M12 x 1.0 fittings. I bought a 6" piece of 6mm bubble flare brake line at the parts store, and cut it in half and threw it out to get the right fittings. I also had to run a drill through the fittings as the Camaro lines are wrapped in a black coating that makes them a slightly larger OD.

I cut the lines off as close to the old flares as possible (you need a REALLY clean cut) then after clamping the flaring tool onto the lines, I used a wire wheel in a dremel to clean the black coating off the portion to be flared. I used a Mastercool hydraulic flare tool, the hand tools suck but work...the hydraulic one just makes it WAY easier.

After that, just bleed the brakes (mine bled fine with a hand vacuum pump on the calipers and then a minor amount of pressure bleeding with the brake pedal).

Buy the G8 GXP clutch reservoir bracket, and be happy that it also comes with the reservoir, cap and hose.

I also needed 1 M8 bolt to bolt the bracket to the brake master. Everything works great, and it's as OEM as you can get, and I didn't drill any holes in my car.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #12
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Couldn't you just drill and tap a hole into the Camaro master cylinder to mount the G8 bracket? Sounds like that would be less of a pain in the butt?
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:15 AM   #13
MikeOD

No, you'd hit the bore. The GXP master cylinder has an extra bung in the casting for the threaded hole and the brake reservoir also has clearance built in for the clutch reservoir.