Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Top Tier Gasoline and MPG

Ok I've had may 2012 2SS L99 for a little over 2 months now.
I do primarily city driving @ 25-45 mph. Initially the car stayed around 11 mpg using Hess 93 octane.

I did a little research and saw where GM recommends using top tier gasoline.

So I ran out the Hess and filled up with Mobil, did the fuse pull, and increased to 14.5.

I recently used a tank of BP 93, which is also supposed to be top tier, but went back to 11mpg.

So I ran the BP out, put Mobil back in, did the fuse pull again, and I'm currently getting 14.6.

Evidently all top tier gas is not the same. There is a Texaco station close to where I live that sells non-ethanol 93 that I haven't tried yet.

Anyone noticed mpg gains from non-ethanol?
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Its so hard to compare between fill-ups because I don't believe there is a real world constant to test/use against, making it biased. IMO though.
I do go by the Top Tier Gas list. Maybe I am just a sheep. Nothing but Shell/Exxon/Mobil for me, particularly since I am tuned for 93 octane.
Stealthpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:00 AM   #3
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
I think the owners manual says use 93 octane preferably with detergent or whatever in the fuel.

No idea what that is, but Valero offers 93 octane with "detergent" additives. I average around 21 MPG when I'm not romping on it in the 6 speed.
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthpanda View Post
Its so hard to compare between fill-ups because I don't believe there is a real world constant to test/use against, making it biased. IMO though.
I do go by the Top Tier Gas list. Maybe I am just a sheep. Nothing but Shell/Exxon/Mobil for me, particularly since I am tuned for 93 octane.
I plan to do that tune as well, did you have the low octane tables rewritten to match the high? What about the "knock" sensors?
Old 01-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #5
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_SS View Post
I think the owners manual says use 93 octane preferably with detergent or whatever in the fuel.

No idea what that is, but Valero offers 93 octane with "detergent" additives. I average around 21 MPG when I'm not romping on it in the 6 speed.
Valero is a Top Tier gas. You must drive primarily hwy to get 21 mpg.
This short video explains top tier gas.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:49 AM   #6
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
Next time you see a truck unloading gas ask the driver about the difference in gas that he hauls.
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #7
NFRNOSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 IOM
I was told the SS is tuned for 91. I was using Ultra 94 for awhile and saw similar results with lower gas mileage. I switched back to 91 and did the fuse pull, and the gas mileage returned to normal.
NFRNOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:14 PM   #8
LOBBS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I use BP 93 and even during the winter months have maintained 18-19 mpg. This includes more than a fair share of days in the single digits. It's been in the 50's the last few days and it's come back up to 20-21. I have AFM disabled through ECU not Range.
LOBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:30 PM   #9
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
From what I was told (from a guy who drives a tanker truck), the refinery mixes up specific formulas for the large buyers ... Of course, the major brands (oil companies) are the guys who buy huge orders. When the refinery switches to a new order, it has to "flush the pipes", so to speak. The "mixed batch" in the tanks and lines are sold to the discount stations. So, you never actually get low quality gasoline anywhere... you simply get a mixture of major brands at the cheaper, off brand, stations.

I don't know if this is true. I am simply repeating what I was told by a truck driver. It seems to make sense.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:19 PM   #10
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
All gasolines have additives, just some more than others.

Top tier doesn't guarantee quality but it's a better bet than cheaper stations. It's also been posted (haven't verified this myself) that 'top tier' is a branding thing, so those companies pay to be on that list. Which is to say - just because someone isn't doesn't mean they're selling crap gas.

I ran top tier for a while and I'm now back to whatever premium I drive by. Haven't notice a difference from station to station, and I'm still going to be pouring my own additives into the tank from time to time anyway (Tekron).

Running 93 in the V8 won't hurt performance.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:14 PM   #11
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
This short video explains top tier gas.
Shortly into the video, the show a pump with gas labeled as "Regular 85", "Midgrade 87", and "Premium 91". Then later in the video, they say "Most cars are designed to run on Regular gasoline, which is 87 octane". So, which is it? Regular or midgrade? I'm always a bit skeptical when a professionally produced video or article contradicts itself.

My car runs great and I buy my 93 octane gas (almost exclusively) at the local Murphy USA station at Walmart. It is a quality gas (with detergent additives) and a high turnover. I believe high turnover is key to ensuring quality gas coming out of the underground tanks. I usually save between 10-30 cents a gallon over "top tier" brand prices. Not a huge deal and I'm not trying to pinch pennies - I just don't like paying for gimmicks.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:20 AM   #12
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
And what do you think he knows? How much the truck weighs.

When I went for my CDL written test there were ~30 applicants filling out the forms. Scratching their heads and staring into space as if the answers were going to magically come to them. 90% were still there when I turned in my test.

You don't have to be a brainiac to drive a truck. And you certainly aren't going to be a chemist or engineer.
You might be surprised what he knows, the drivers in my area will tell you that the same gas that is put in the tanks at Shell stations is also going to Costco. They also say that if a brand name station needs gas asap they will take whatever is on the truck. As for the truck driver comment, there are many professional drivers out there that take pride in what they do. I've never driven one but I would hope that a driver with a load of haz-mat would have some idea of what he's hauling.
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:43 AM   #13
STOCK1SC

Drives: 2012 Charger
All I know is I see the truck that delivers gas to the BP gas station go right across the street to the Spinx where you can get your BiLo grocery store bonus point discounts for gas and unloads from the same truck. Same truck at the same 2 stations about 20 minutes later. See it all the time.
STOCK1SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #14
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by STOCK1SC View Post
All I know is I see the truck that delivers gas to the BP gas station go right across the street to the Spinx where you can get your BiLo grocery store bonus point discounts for gas and unloads from the same truck. Same truck at the same 2 stations about 20 minutes later. See it all the time.
I know someone who managed a convenient store (for a local chain) that said their gas came from the Mobil truck, same one that would cross the street and fill up the Mobil station. As I posted, just because someone isn't listed on the top tier site doesn't mean their gas is junk. Aside from additional additives, all the gas is identical anyway. If you already add your own stuff to the tank, then paying more for top tier is just throwing money away IMHO.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote