Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #85
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Providence, RI!

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #86
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
....GM is taking the initiative for cleaner, more fuel efficient cars, with advanced technology, and is welcoming the Federal Government to join them in a National initiative....go to GM authority and read about it....
Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #87
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post
CAFE standards were not created to reduce pollution. Remember that when debating this stuff folks.

Weight reduction is a great way to increase performance and efficiency if they do it right. Removing weight in the right places can lower the center of gravity and removing weight in general will help in nearly all aspects of performance. I doubt they'll be able to cut fleet weights by 15% by then, but it's not like it is the end of the world if they don't quite meet the stated goal.
Also keep in mind FE = emissions and emissions = FE. In Europe the equivalent to CAFE is CO2. At the tailpipe they are exactly the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
I may not have to use it (and never will, as I'm capable of driving all by my self), but I'll still have to pay for it. How does that make sense?

I know how light those mirrors are. I picked one up just last summer after it fell off.

You've hit on a defining characteristic of the regulatory state. And in the case of our specific one, what we get is generally more in line with what we deserve.

Those numbers sound more like total oil consumption, not imports. I'd have to do more research on exact numbers, but I think that around the late 70s, roughly 30% or so of the total use was from imports. 30 years later, it was more like 70% of the total was imports.

Today, the percent of use that is imported is rapidly going down, largely due to shale production, with a significant and growing percentage of the imports coming from Tar Sands from our friendly neighbor to the north. (Which is the reason WTI oil is around $20 a barrel cheaper than Brent). And the government and EPA are fighting both of these new sources of oil as hard as they can....which would suggest that despite claims that reducing imports is the purpose of CAFE, the actual motives are different.

Interesting addition to the point about CAFE driving the SUV craze. I've always held that opinion as well....And it makes you to wonder what affect it would have had on fuel consumption of people had still been able to find full size sedans that got low to mid 20s on the highway instead of SUVs that got upper teens at best.

It really got rolling with Ralph Nader's crusade against GM, which just happened to coincide with his quiet buying up of Ford stock. I'm sure the two were unrelated, though.

No, I want more. Keep it coming, Captain!!!
You said Shale Oil. Who is actually making Shale Oil into Oil in any reasonable amount? Even Tar Sands cost more money to make oil. Shale is even more expensive than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
which trucking fleets?? I work for one and have heard no such thing, I hope they'd tell me since I repair the tractors lol
It's in it's early stages but many of the Class 8 truck manufacturers are selling CNG fueled trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I re-read the first post...what is this "body-in-white" thing?...lol
BIW is essentially all of the metal in the body with no hardware at all. No chassis, no powertrain, no trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
15% in three years. That's awesome! Can't wait. If they also raise the power level by 25% at the same time that will be even better.
Are we never satisfied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I'm not most people. So what you're saying is that no one that currently owns a 5th gen should complain about the weight because they can't do anything about it anyhow that wouldn't otherwise turn it into a full blown race car?

So then, why are there so many on this very forum and others that do? My guess would be in the hopes that GM would produce a lighter version of the car that they love so much. Thus a reason for all the weight whiners to rejoice.
You said, "why are so many on this forum". In all the threads of everyone listing the stuff they were going to take off their cars to make it lighter I can't recall one person actually doing it. No before and after threads of who actually took weight off their Camaro.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #88
RoadieWingZ

Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 1LS
Screw the weight reduction !!..... I love my fat bottom girl just the way she is!!

Are you gonna take me home tonight
Ah down beside that red firelight
Are you gonna let it all hang out
Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round

2013 Camaro LS
RoadieWingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #89
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Also keep in mind FE = emissions and emissions = FE. In Europe the equivalent to CAFE is CO2. At the tailpipe they are exactly the same thing.
Only if you define emissions as CO2. I personally don't consider to CO2 to be a "pollutant" like CO, NOX, hydrocarbons, and things like that that actually "pollute" and lead to health problems and smog.

And with that definition of emissions, FE and emissions have little correlation. A new V8 powered pickup today is much cleaner than a Honda Civic 15 or 20 years ago was.

And in the 1970s, FE and emissions worked against each other. In the 70s, emissions regulations meant low octane gas, low compression ratios, and large, inefficient air pumps, all of which torpedoed efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
You said Shale Oil. Who is actually making Shale Oil into Oil in any reasonable amount? Even Tar Sands cost more money to make oil. Shale is even more expensive than that.
Perhaps Shale oil isn't exactly the right terminology. It is my understanding that oil companies are figuring out how to use fracking to produce oil similar to what began with natural gas a few years earlier. The basic process has been know for decades, but only recently has the technology become advanced enough, and the price of oil high enough to make the economics of it work.

These sources are indeed more expensive than conventional oil, but at today's prices, they are still very profitable. Production from places like North Dakota is sky-rocketing (hence the need to build new pipelines), and could be in the millions of barrels a day in just a few short years.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #90
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
As far as the overall weight...I'm still a little fuzzy on this...

Current Camaro weighs 3800lbs?...that's a v-8? v-6?

10% off is 380...3800-380= 3420
15% off is 570...3800-570= 3230

Alpha is gonna weigh less than has previously been known prior to the CEO's order?

May not be applicable to the Gen6 Camaro as far as "the rest of the fleet"?...

Too premature for any concrete number??? All bets are off??

Thanks....
V6 typically around 3,750 give or take some. V8 100 lbs more than that give or take.

I realistically see the next gen base Camaro (if the base is the Turbo 4) in the high to mid 3,300 range and V6 in low to mid 3,400. If they get it less than that and manage not to noticeably shink the Camaro (I'd guess it at near ATS size) then I'll be very surprised, but happy!
Old 03-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #91

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
V6 typically around 3,750 give or take some. V8 100 lbs more than that give or take.

I realistically see the next gen base Camaro (if the base is the Turbo 4) in the high to mid 3,300 range and V6 in low to mid 3,400. If they get it less than that and manage not to noticeably shink the Camaro (I'd guess it at near ATS size) then I'll be very surprised, but happy!
Yeah, thanks...Just trying to see what rules the day as far a "15%" off...the base model only?...other, heavier engines get a pass?....I could see a new 4 hitting the mark of 15% off, compared to a _____?...It's a car that doesn't exist yet...lol...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #92
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post

If your talking a Convertible your talking about 3900 to 4000Lbs. If you get an automatic.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #93
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I bet you a week's pay it is something more akin to this:

"Say, that's a nice lookin' corporation ya gots there.... it would be a shame if sumptin' waz ta happen to it!"

Magnesium costs about 50% more than Aluminum. I just don't want to have to hear a lot of complaints when people get sticker shock. It also kinda can catch fire and burn up an entire car. They make fireworks out of that nifty metal.
Seems as the autoignition temperature of magnesium ribbon is approximately 473 °C (746 K; 883 °F) good luck getting it to burn in anything being used in vehicle applications. The powered or shaved form is much easier to burn, but that's not what's being used here.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #94

Pretty sure how good of a quality, or grade of aluminum you get depends on how much magnesium is in it...Magnesium is nothing new...mag wheels, trans cases, etc....It does raise the price, though!...lol...Aluminum blocks (I've seen many burn up in my day...VW's, Porsches...lol...all high mag content)...It's a sight to behold...lol
Old 03-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #95
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
I thought the flash point of magnesium was around 2500 degrees F? 880 isn't enough heat to get it to burn like magnesium can burn now if the entire car is on fire? Then maybe it'll get high enough but I wouldn't worry about it being a hazard.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
I thought the flash point of magnesium was around 2500 degrees F? 880 isn't enough heat to get it to burn like magnesium can burn now if the entire car is on fire? Then maybe it'll get high enough but I wouldn't worry about it being a hazard.
lol...not a hazard by itself at all...on a car fire, for sure, started by a ruptured gas line or whatever....
Old 03-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #97
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
Only if you define emissions as CO2. I personally don't consider to CO2 to be a "pollutant" like CO, NOX, hydrocarbons, and things like that that actually "pollute" and lead to health problems and smog.

And with that definition of emissions, FE and emissions have little correlation. A new V8 powered pickup today is much cleaner than a Honda Civic 15 or 20 years ago was.

And in the 1970s, FE and emissions worked against each other. In the 70s, emissions regulations meant low octane gas, low compression ratios, and large, inefficient air pumps, all of which torpedoed efficiency.

Perhaps Shale oil isn't exactly the right terminology. It is my understanding that oil companies are figuring out how to use fracking to produce oil similar to what began with natural gas a few years earlier. The basic process has been know for decades, but only recently has the technology become advanced enough, and the price of oil high enough to make the economics of it work.

These sources are indeed more expensive than conventional oil, but at today's prices, they are still very profitable. Production from places like North Dakota is sky-rocketing (hence the need to build new pipelines), and could be in the millions of barrels a day in just a few short years.
Don't disagree with you on CO2. But Europe disagrees with both of us. And reduction in CO2 is the same as CAFE. Reduction in CO2 requires the same reduction in FE.

Fracking is not the same as shale oil. Yes, I agree there are more alternatives that are now available as oil prices go up. But OPEC controls that. If they wanted the price to go down to the point that they would put Canadien Tar Sands out of business they could.

So yes, Tar Sands and North Dakota oil are all awesome. But they aren't "Jed Clampett Oil". That is the oil you can find by "shootin' at some food". It is expensive. And the Dakatos only add up to a 4 or 5 year supply of oil at our current consumption. Not the endless (LOL) supply that the 500 year supply of Shale Oil in the Rockies promises..
Old 03-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #98
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...talk is the previously protected and Federaly banned areas of off shore drilling sights are slated to be opened <rights for drilling, proceeds> to pay for the CA shale oil production pipeline project. NA independence from foreign oil imports. That, with todays press release to incorporate a more robust initiative to further battery technology is some progress towards solving our energy dependance on an uncertain future with third world suppliers who are undoubtably unpredictable for an uninterrupted supply.

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news