Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-24-2016, 09:15 AM   #15
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
Camaro wheel flew off because of all the light-weighting GM did.
In the other threads with pictures of wrecked 6th gen Camaros, many of them have missing front wheels and suspension components. While the light weight has something to do with it, it's very possible and very likely the engineers designed the front end to disintegrate and blow apart upon impact. That disperses the forces of the impact away from the passenger compartment.

If you examine the components very closely, I bet you find specific points engineered into the components and connections to break and separate upon impact.

Camaro did a very good job here.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #16
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
I noticed they used an SS too. Camaro did a very good job.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #17
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschons74 View Post
Thanks for sharing. Maybe I'm bias, but it seems like the Camaro faired better than the others. The cabin stayed more intact. Go Alpha chassis!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
You really don't want to be in any car in these accidents..you're not walking away from any of them. You'll likely fair the best in the Camaro, but you're still going to the hospital.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Camaro definitely faired better than the other two.

Interesting observations, both the Mustang and the Challenger lost their front fascias completely. Camaro did not.
Both Mustang and Challenger had permanent movement in the dashboard, Camaro had nearly none.
Mustang and Challenger's A-pillar and door structure crushed quite significantly...Camaro's A-pillar hardly moved at all, and the door's damage looked less significant towards the front of the vehicle.

I'm actually pretty shocked that the other two's A-pillars gave way like that....
The Mustang actually faired the best overall. It might not look that way from the videos, (where the Camaro did do better in the front overlap test. Much better) but the article that goes along with this test states the Mustang did the best, followed by the Camaro.

"The Mustang came closest to achieving Top Safety Pick status, Lund said. Its small-front overlap rating holds it back, but otherwise it outperforms both its competitors in roof strength. Strong roofs are especially important for sports cars, which have among the highest driver death rates in single-vehicle rollovers, IIHS says.
"These vehicles have high horsepower and they're driven at higher speeds, and they'll crash at higher speeds." – Adrian Lund
Another differentiator: Both the Mustang and Challenger were equipped with basic crash-warning systems designed to alert drivers to imminent collisions. The Camaro was not equipped with any sort of crash-avoidance system."

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/24/i...est-standards/
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #18
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
The Mustang actually faired the best overall. It might not look that way from the videos, (where the Camaro did do better in the front overlap test. Much better) but the article that goes along with this test states the Mustang did the best, followed by the Camaro.

"The Mustang came closest to achieving Top Safety Pick status, Lund said. Its small-front overlap rating holds it back, but otherwise it outperforms both its competitors in roof strength. Strong roofs are especially important for sports cars, which have among the highest driver death rates in single-vehicle rollovers, IIHS says.
"These vehicles have high horsepower and they're driven at higher speeds, and they'll crash at higher speeds." – Adrian Lund
Another differentiator: Both the Mustang and Challenger were equipped with basic crash-warning systems designed to alert drivers to imminent collisions. The Camaro was not equipped with any sort of crash-avoidance system."

A fancy warning device and a slightly stronger roof, or a better front overlap test........sorry, but I don't agree with how they rate them. I'd rather the better front overlap results over a slightly stronger roof and some electronic device beeping at me that I am getting to close to something.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #19
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
A fancy warning device and a slightly stronger roof, or a better front overlap test........sorry, but I don't agree with how they rate them. I'd rather the better front overlap results over a slightly stronger roof and some electronic device beeping at me that I am getting to close to something.
Just posting the facts. I agree with you, you would think they would put more emphasis on the front clip test, just relaying the information that appeared to be overlooked
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 05-24-2016, 09:46 AM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:

I read the article...I just don't agree with some of their logic or methods. Roof strength is great...but when you're that low to the ground, I just don't see rollovers as a high probability when compared to an SUV. So, while they might single out sports cars as having a higher death rate in the event of a rollover vs other vehicles...I have to believe they are less common altogether, unless data proves me wrong.

Nevertheless...in those small overlap videos, it's incredibly obvious that the Camaro's passenger compartment is virtually unaffected by the impact. The other two were. It wasn't significant....but the dash and firewall moved in those cars...

I would rather be in the Camaro.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #21
shaffe

Fair enough, like I said I agreed with SS 1LE that you would think they put more emphasis on the front clip
Old 05-24-2016, 10:05 AM   #22
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Fair enough, like I said I agreed with SS 1LE that you would think they put more emphasis on the front clip
Oh sure, I wasn't trying to be confrontational.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:06 AM   #23
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
In the other threads with pictures of wrecked 6th gen Camaros, many of them have missing front wheels and suspension components. While the light weight has something to do with it, it's very possible and very likely the engineers designed the front end to disintegrate and blow apart upon impact. That disperses the forces of the impact away from the passenger compartment.

If you examine the components very closely, I bet you find specific points engineered into the components and connections to break and separate upon impact.

Camaro did a very good job here.
I agree.. I was just making a funny.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #24
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Lol... no flips with our car. I'm adding a roll cage immediately.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:19 AM   #25
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
But just don't end up on your roof....
Ohhhhh.....they think it's "acceptable" to be on your roof.....
Old 05-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #26
aestil

Drives: White
It is interesting though that the safety features for auto breaking ahead of you in a collision are not present. I feel like if the Camaro had that it might have got a Thumbs up rating from the IIHS.

Is there some philosphical reason why its not standard on these cars? Or just not in the budget?
aestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:59 AM   #27
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Old 05-24-2016, 11:29 AM   #28
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestil View Post
It is interesting though that the safety features for auto breaking ahead of you in a collision are not present. I feel like if the Camaro had that it might have got a Thumbs up rating from the IIHS.

Is there some philosphical reason why its not standard on these cars? Or just not in the budget?
It won't matter soon, automatic braking is going to be mandated as standard safety equipment. Most manufacturers need to be in compliance 2022. You *might* see this toward the end of the 6th gen Camaro's production.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote