Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 08-02-2019, 09:07 AM   #1
786tech

Drives: 2018 Red Hot 1SS 1LE
2018 SS 1LE - Steering Rack and Transmission Problems

My 2018 SS 1LE with 10,000 miles had 2 problems pop up in the past week and is now at the dealer. Frustrated because this is my first new car and I thought paying more for new vs used would avoid this situation.

Steering wheel was making creaking and squeaking noises for a week or two. Dealer said although it doesn't show up in the recall list, it needs a new steering rack. Parts are on back order. Yay.

Horrible squeaking and creaking noise coming from front of transmission under console when I shift into gear or car's weight is shifted front or back. Shifter also feels like something is mechanically loose and makes metal to metal clunk in first 3 gear shifts. I suspect it's a bushing or trans brace. Clutch feel is normal. Car drives through all gears normally. Been 4 days and they haven't even gotten to diagnosing the transmission yet.

Dealer was nice enough to give me a loaner (Chevy Cruze). Looks I will be driving it for another week at least. This will be the first and last time I pay a premium for a new car.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:15 AM   #2
thrashergrant

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Do the steering wheel noises happen when moving or when stationary? Or both?

Could you record a video of the sounds?

Out of curiosity I see you're in Houston, what dealership are using?
thrashergrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:22 AM   #3
786tech

Steering wheel noise is both moving and stationary. It's a plastic on plastic creak from quarter turn onwards when turning the wheel slowly(parking lots and driveways). Car is at dealer and I didn't take video.

Using Classic Chevy Sugar Land. They did a good job with oil change so let's see how these major repairs work out. They have many Corvettes on the lot and three Camaros were also in for servicing/repair. I suppose that's a good sign of competent techs if you see higher than usual performance cars.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:29 PM   #4
786tech

Got my car back today. Steering rack was replaced. No more noise from steering column. Clutch plate was loose and misaligned which caused the squeaking noises from bellhousing area and clunky shifter feel. They inspected clutch for damage and found no damage. I suspect it must have not been torqued to spec from factory. Car drives perfect now.

On another note, I am very satisfied with Classic Chevy Sugar Land service department. David kept me up to date and always answered phone and email. I will be using them for future services.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:48 AM   #5
GTSLOW
Daily Driven 1LE

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Glad to hear she's back on the road!
Old 08-07-2019, 05:34 AM   #6
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 786tech View Post
My 2018 SS 1LE with 10,000 miles had 2 problems pop up in the past week and is now at the dealer. Frustrated because this is my first new car and I thought paying more for new vs used would avoid this situation.

Steering wheel was making creaking and squeaking noises for a week or two. Dealer said although it doesn't show up in the recall list, it needs a new steering rack. Parts are on back order. Yay.

Horrible squeaking and creaking noise coming from front of transmission under console when I shift into gear or car's weight is shifted front or back. Shifter also feels like something is mechanically loose and makes metal to metal clunk in first 3 gear shifts. I suspect it's a bushing or trans brace. Clutch feel is normal. Car drives through all gears normally. Been 4 days and they haven't even gotten to diagnosing the transmission yet.

Dealer was nice enough to give me a loaner (Chevy Cruze). Looks I will be driving it for another week at least. This will be the first and last time I pay a premium for a new car.

Look on the bright side, had this been a used car you might not be covered under warranty, it might have been damaged from abuse caused by owner number one.
New might cost more buy used could have hidden surprises. Why did the first owner bail?

Glad you have it back like new and it was nothing serious.