Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-10-2019, 09:55 AM   #421
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
This is all hypothetical and right now there is not even much information on the LT2.

My thoughts are with Chevrolet being 5 years into the GEN6 and 2 years into the refresh I would be surprised if they take the new Corvette motor and add it to a GEN that is on it's last few years. I still think it would be the kick off motor for the next GEN Camaro. I maybe wrong.. We will have to wait and see.. I think it safe to say it's not happening in 2020.
Anything could happen. 4th gen got the LS1 in '98. We just don't know yet.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #422
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
But you don't know that. No one outside of GM does. Everyone on here is just throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks.
Yes, Watch for a pattern of the largest shit throwers who consistently throw shit that never sticks then they blame the WALL for being wrong not there shit.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #423
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Of course I don't know that. Its logical though because its the same LT engine family.

Do I think Chevy will put the LT2 in the gen6? No.
What if the C8 gets the LT2 as an exclusive, the Mid engine is going to be a big deal for GM . Also may explain the survey that came out last summer about smaller motors and hybrids in Camaros.
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:35 AM   #424

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
What happens to future upgrades and engines with Camaro I think will depend on the success or lack of sales with this new LT1 V-8 Camaro. If it sells well and SS sales need a bump with upgrades, then for sure the SS get an LT2 or something else. The mid-engine Corvette will give Camaro more leverage and options without the "no, because Corvette..." argument.

I'm glad Camaro went with the best LT1- V8 in the LT1 instead of putting in a less powerful V-8 of some kind. It means the SS is due for an upgrade in the power department.

Nothing wrong with guessing, speculating, throwing stuff on the wall. Good times and all good for Camaro. Finally, something new to discuss....lol..
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:36 AM   #425
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Anything could happen. 4th gen got the LS1 in '98. We just don't know yet.
And I think that is what I said in my last few post, it's all hypothetical and we would have to wait and see.

FYI: That was a flash from the past.. the old 4th GEN LS1
Old 05-10-2019, 10:56 AM   #426
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
What happens to future upgrades and engines with Camaro I think will depend on the success or lack of sales with this new LT1 V-8 Camaro. If it sells well and SS sales need a bump with upgrades, then for sure the SS get an LT2 or something else. The mid-engine Corvette will give Camaro more leverage and options without the "no, because Corvette..." argument.
I don't think so. 48% of 2018 Camaros sold in the US had a V8. 35% of Camaros sold in 2018 had the LT1. It's not like the V8 is a low production option on Camaro.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:57 AM   #427
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Lets not forget the very high likelihood the upgraded LT1 engine (LT2?) that will be in the C8 going into the Camaro...

If you disagree in that bring highly likely, consider the power ratings of the competition and whether utilizing that engine has a high potential to increase sales. Investment will be little and implementation will be minor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I doubt the LT1 will have the Aux coolers unless they modify the fascias to allow air flow.

The SS fascia directs air to cooler. The LT fascia does not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Agreeing with both of you.
Quote:
I will disagree for few reasons.

1. The LT2 hasn't even been released yet, this motor was designed for the C8 and GM hasn't even released official horsepower numbers or even the car it was designed for so I don't see it coming to the Camaro anytime soon.

2. History: When the C7 Corvette came out in 2014 it was the first car to get the LT1 motor. This was also when Chevrolet was doing the mid-GEN refreash on the GEN5 Camaro and the GEN5 SS did not get the LT1. It wasn't added to the Camaro lineup until GM released the GEN6 Camaro. Will the LT2 make it into the Camaro, I think so but more likely when the GEN7 comes out.

I would really be surprised to see the LT2 in a GEN6 Camaro platform but stranger things have happened..
Quote:
This is all hypothetical and right now there is not even much information on the LT2.

My thoughts are with Chevrolet being 5 years into the GEN6 and 2 years into the refresh I would be surprised if they take the new Corvette motor and add it to a GEN that is on it's last few years. I still think it would be the kick off motor for the next GEN Camaro. I maybe wrong.. We will have to wait and see.. I think it safe to say it's not happening in 2020.
Just to be clear, when I say I agree about the LT2, I am talking Gen 7. It will have been in C8 for a couple years by then and another higher performing engine added to C8, so adding LT2 to the Gen 7 SS would fit the GM recipe nicely. If it is similar to LT1 in terms of packaging footprint, there is some small potential that GM could drop it into a special edition for the last year of Gen 6.

The coolers discussion is specific to Gen 6 LT1 trim.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:22 PM   #428
Michael2000

Drives: .
Quote:
I don't think so. 48% of 2018 Camaros sold in the US had a V8. 35% of Camaros sold in 2018 had the LT1. It's not like the V8 is a low production option on Camaro.
So 13% of Cameros were ZL1s? That sounds high.
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:03 PM   #429
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post
So 13% of Cameros were ZL1s? That sounds high.
What's a Camero?

The second sentence says US, the third does not.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:08 AM   #430
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Has an LT2 even been confirmed?

Off of the same block architecture, adding an engine that mounts the same, transmissions are the same, finished engine weighs the same and is simply internal changes for FE or performance is not as big a deal as an all new engine. A ton of calibration, yes. But structurally validating the body is less of an issue.

If the LT2 is the Corvette "base" engine, I don't see it being any different than today where both cars get the LT1. Now the up level offerings is a different story.

Also, does GM want to make an LT1 for the Camaro and an LT2 for the Corvette? That just makes the LT1 and LT2 both more expensive. And as GM is about profit, we can hope they pick the more cost effective solution.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:23 AM   #431
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

Off of the same block architecture, adding an engine that mounts the same, transmissions are the same, finished engine weighs the same and is simply internal changes for FE or performance is not as big a deal as an all new engine. A ton of calibration, yes. But structurally validating the body is less of an issue.

If the LT2 is the Corvette "base" engine, I don't see it being any different than today where both cars get the LT1. Now the up level offerings is a different story.

Also, does GM want to make an LT1 for the Camaro and an LT2 for the Corvette? That just makes the LT1 and LT2 both more expensive. And as GM is about profit, we can hope they pick the more cost effective solution.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:02 AM   #432
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:

Actually, I fully expect for GM to offer LT1 in Camaro, LT2 in Corvette for at least the first year, especially if they are foundationally the same. The differences would all be absorbed in the engine plant(s) and can be as simple as slightly different camshaft or slightly different heads.

Engine RPO codes are tricky. Today trucks have 2 RPOs for 5.3L and 2 RPOs for 6.2L and GM has no issues with mixing and matching those. The difference is that some have AFM and some have DFM. The differences between LT1 and LT2 are likely to be even less. Also GM has several plants building the Small Block V engines. Tonawanda, St. Catharines, Spring Hill, Silao, and even Bowling Green for the customer involved builds.

It would be simple to have LT1 built in some locations and LT2 in others to avoid confusion and build complexity in the plant. Even though it might be simple to simply place the LT2 in Camaro at the same time as in Corvette, it is probably more profitable to do it at least a year, and probably even a generation later. At this point it’s more about revenue than it is about cost.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:09 AM   #433
Memphis SS

Quote:

The LT2 could be as big of a change as the LS3 was to the LT1 I have not seen anything official that states one way or the other. So only time will tell and right now it’s all a guessing game.

I think most here will agree the LT2 will find its way into the Camaro but I’m still thinking it will be in the next GEN. Also GM had no problem making the LS3 and LT1 until Camaro moved from the GEN5 until the GEN6 came out.. right now only GM
Old 05-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #434
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Actually, I fully expect for GM to offer LT1 in Camaro, LT2 in Corvette for at least the first year, especially if they are foundationally the same. The differences would all be absorbed in the engine plant(s) and can be as simple as slightly different camshaft or slightly different heads.

Engine RPO codes are tricky. Today trucks have 2 RPOs for 5.3L and 2 RPOs for 6.2L and GM has no issues with mixing and matching those. The difference is that some have AFM and some have DFM. The differences between LT1 and LT2 are likely to be even less. Also GM has several plants building the Small Block V engines. Tonawanda, St. Catharines, Spring Hill, Silao, and even Bowling Green for the customer involved builds.

It would be simple to have LT1 built in some locations and LT2 in others to avoid confusion and build complexity in the plant. Even though it might be simple to simply place the LT2 in Camaro at the same time as in Corvette, it is probably more profitable to do it at least a year, and probably even a generation later. At this point it’s more about revenue than it is about cost.
I agree