Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-29-2015, 08:53 AM   #1
FRESHSS
@MickJones_808

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS A8
No lift shift?

I just watched the motortrend ats-v hot lap & saw randy no-lift shifting with the manual & it made me think... since this was a feature on the fifth gen zl1, c6 zr1 & now the ats-v will the manual equipped sixth gen ss have this feature as well? & here's a link to the hot lap for those who haven't seen it yet https://youtu.be/ydpSlGiiq1g
FRESHSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:50 AM   #2
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRESHSS View Post
I just watched the motortrend ats-v hot lap & saw randy no-lift shifting with the manual & it made me think... since this was a feature on the fifth gen zl1, c6 zr1 & now the ats-v will the manual equipped sixth gen ss have this feature as well? & here's a link to the hot lap for those who haven't seen it yet https://youtu.be/ydpSlGiiq1g
The Track interface does not show throttle, can you tell us the mark time to look for when you see him shifting and not lifting?

Does ATS-V specify no-lift shifting?
Old 09-29-2015, 11:05 AM   #3
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Stingray has it as well.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:26 AM   #4
iSHOOTtheMOON

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post

Does ATS-V specify no-lift shifting?
Yes, at the end of the video he mentions it.
iSHOOTtheMOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:41 AM   #5
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I thought No Lift Shift was only available on FI engines. Interesting if it is on NA engines too.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:09 PM   #6
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
I thought No Lift Shift was only available on FI engines. Interesting if it is on NA engines too.
You can no lift shift anything with the right attitude (and quick enough shifts) lol
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
Spanky1

Drives: 2017 2SS Summit White Camaro M6
Is that something like a quick shifter on a motorcycle?
Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:39 PM   #8
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Are we confusing power shifting and no lift shifting. My understanding was no lift shifting allowed a driver to shift without losing boost, so would apply to those types of power trains and power shifting was where a driver shifted without clutching at the specific instance when it could be done and applied to naturally aspirated engines.

My understanding but I could be wrong.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #9
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I'm not sure anyone here really understands no lift shift. It's not that complicated.

The ECM holds the engine RPM in place when you hit the clutch. Plain and simple. Eliminates the need for you to lift off the gas when you shift. In a car without no-lift shift, when you push the clutch in while holding the gas pedal down your RPMs will zoom up and probably bounce the rev limiter, as the engine is under load while the clutch is engaged in whichever gear, but as soon as the clutch is depressed the engine is in neutral so to speak, and will rev up without load. That's why, when you shift a manual, you let off on the gas while you push the clutch in. Those who've mastered this can shift a manual as smooth or smoother than any automatic transmission in the world. Those who can't get the herky-jerkies.

No-lift essentially lets you cheat, and will turn anyone who isn't a master of shifting into Mario Andretti. All you have to do is keep the gas pedal floored, clutch in and shift at any RPM you want, and the ECM does everything else for you so the RMPs stay and the clutch re-engages smoothly.

Not sure where everyone is getting this bost, NA, DI/non-DI nonsense from. No lift could be incorporated into any car with fuel injection and a throttle position sensor and an ECM. A 1988 Z28 with TPI could have no-lift.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #10
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Not sure where everyone is getting this bost, NA, DI/non-DI nonsense from. No lift could be incorporated into any car with fuel injection and a throttle position sensor and an ECM. A 1988 Z28 with TPI could have no-lift.
While there is benefits with no-lift-shifts on naturally aspirated cars, it's often associated with forced induction vehicles as a way to keep the boost up during shifting.
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net

Last edited by joemosfet; 09-29-2015 at 07:12 PM.
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:15 PM   #11
amerhash28

Drives: camaros in his dreams
Hmmmm,rev match tech and no-lift shifting......wonder if its still called "manual" or not anymore.lol
amerhash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:17 PM   #12
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
NLS I think stated on the turbocharged Delta cars (Cobalt SS and HHR SS).

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/10/...14-camaro-zl1/

ATS-V lists it as a PTM feature: http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/a...owertrain.html

Quote:
Six-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Match
The standard TREMEC TR6060 six-speed manual transmission has a strong track record proven in the supercharged CTS-V series. It is updated for ATS-V with selectable technologies that enhance driver control to help produce optimized shifts that can lead to faster lap times:
◾Active Rev Match – anticipates the next gear selection and electronically ‘blips’ the throttle to match engine speed for a seamless gear change
No-lift shifting – Part of the Performance Traction Management system, it allows gear changes without the need for the driver to take his or her foot off the gas pedal, keeping the engine at full boost and maximum power
◾Launch control – Also part of the Performance Traction Management system, it enables maximum off-the-line acceleration.

The TR6060 transmission is used with a dual-mass flywheel and dual-disc clutch, which deliver greater shift quality and feel through lower inertia.
A little more info from it circa Cobalt SS:

Quote:
No-Lift Upshift (SS Models)
If the vehicle has the 2.0L turbo engine and manual transmission, it has the capability of No-Lift Upshifts. This feature maximizes vehicle acceleration by allowing you to shift the transmission to a higher gear without taking your foot off the accelerator. No-Lift Upshifting is enabled in all Electronic Stability Control modes. See Electronic Stability Control (ESC) for more information. Use this feature only when the engine has reached normal operating temperature. Correct shifting allows the engine to maintain boost pressure during shifts, while also keeping the engine from over-revving.

To utilize this feature:

 1. Accelerate the vehicle by fully depressing the accelerator pedal.
 2. Just prior to reaching the maximum engine speed, quickly complete the upshift utilizing the clutch while keeping the accelerator pedal fully applied. A quicker shift maneuver gives the best performance. If the engine is operated at the maximum engine speed for greater than one second, the engine exits the No-Lift Upshift mode and resumes normal engine overspeed protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:18 PM   #13
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
It seems to me that no-lift-shift goes hand-in-hand with rev matching.

Basically, rev-matching is controlling the RPM while the clutch is pressed, regardless of the throttle pedal position - exactly what no-lift-shift would do.

I would be confident to bet that no-lift-shift will be included with the rev-matching feature.
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:24 PM   #14
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemosfet View Post
It seems to me that no-lift-shift goes hand-in-hand with rev matching.

Basically, rev-matching is controlling the RPM while the clutch is pressed, regardless of the throttle pedal position - exactly what no-lift-shift would do.

I would be confident to bet that no-lift-shift will be included with the rev-matching feature.
Seems likely. In the decades I have been buying and modding, I admit rev matching is relatively new to me. Relatively because it has been around, to my knowledge, for a few years and my buying and modding goes back to the seventies, which is more than a few years, To me, rev matching allowed for power shifting, and now that I see what I typed, it still is.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote