Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 08-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #1
1hevy_chevy

Drives: Nightfall Gray 2016 6M 2SS
Rotofab causing the car to run lean question

Good morning gents! I've been googling around and I figure that the best way to get tips is to ask you guys directly. Long story short I've had my rotofab on for a little over 4k miles with no issues. Did the install my self. From one day to the next I went to work, came back and on my way home I notice the car idling a bit strange. Sure enough I got a CEL. pulled the codes and I believe I got p0174 and p0171 something along the lines of the car running too lean. I figure crap, something loose. I go through a TON of speed bumps so I'm sure that loosened her up. Sure enough I get home and pop the hood, the intake is falling apart! My fault obviously I'm just surprised it took this long. Doesn't look like anything is missing so I grab some tools and tighten her up good. I clear the codes and gp for a drive. so far so good.next day I take her to work and on the way home that same day, car idling rough again and CEL comes back, same codes. I double check the intake and everything seems solid! I take her to the dealer with (hopes were too high, I'm too optimistic) them coming back with it's my intakes fault and they won't cover anything (no biggie, I figured that would happen ut I was praying for something else) I'm on vacation now and I plan on picking the car up and figuring it out. Any tips on how to handle this? I don't have the oem intake so I can't put her back on and test.

Edit: this is happening 4k miles after install. When I say it came apart, I mean the tube where it meets with the rubber boot to meet the other part of the tube with the head on it came apart, just needed to reattach and tighten the metal o ring. it possible I just need to do some kind of sensor reset?
Old 08-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #2
SlydrSS305

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Reset with the scanner
SlydrSS305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:20 AM   #3
1hevy_chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlydrSS305 View Post
Reset with the scanner
By reset do you mean just clear the codes? I tried that and the cel came back a day and a half later. My scanner is actually just a Bluetooth odb2 plug connected to torque for Android. Can I reset sensors from there?
Old 08-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Unplug the negative cable in the truck on the battery, leave off for 15 minutes at least. Then once everything is back together as it should be connect the negative battery cable again.

Now start the car up and let it idle (no gas at all) for 3 minutes, then kill it and leave it off for 60 seconds (open the door to kill the RAP) then start it again for 3 minutes and leave it running at idle with no gas pedal input.

This should clear the codes and also reset the idle trim values as well. If the codes dont clear at this point they will need to be cleared by a ODBII scanner or someone with HP Tuners can clear them.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
There is nothing to do but put the intake back together correctly. Personally I think the hose clamps that rotofab send with the unit are garbage. You can possibly take those clamps with you, they are different sizes, go purchase some new ones.

Outside of that, check all your connections and unplug the positive lead on the battery for 20 minutes. Hook up the battery lead and start the car. Make sure your MAF sensor in the intake tube is firmly plugged in and verify you put the screws in to hold the electronics in the tube.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
1hevy_chevy

I'll try that, thanks for advice guys. However I see one tip for negative lead and another tip for positive lead on the battery
Old 08-08-2017, 11:37 AM   #7
1hevy_chevy

Also, what if it's not just a CEL? What if she's still idling a bit strange? Does the rough idle happen because the cel is on due to the sensors not reading right? (Probably a dumb question but I have no idea)
Old 08-08-2017, 11:47 AM   #8
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3 View Post
There is nothing to do but put the intake back together correctly. Personally I think the hose clamps that rotofab send with the unit are garbage. You can possibly take those clamps with you, they are different sizes, go purchase some new ones.

Outside of that, check all your connections and unplug the positive lead on the battery for 20 minutes. Hook up the battery lead and start the car. Make sure your MAF sensor in the intake tube is firmly plugged in and verify you put the screws in to hold the electronics in the tube.
I would never pull the positive lead, if it drops and hits something metal it is going to short out. I always pull the negative lead.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #9
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Have you Called Rorofab and see what they say?

Sounds like a Tune is needed
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:54 AM   #10
1hevy_chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
Have you Called Rorofab and see what they say?

Sounds like a Tune is needed
Under normal circumstances I would agree however I know this intake does not require a tune
Old 08-08-2017, 12:04 PM   #11
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
No tune is needed for Rotofab on a stock car. Agree that the clamps just loosened and once you do the battery reset, the CEL should disappear. Clamps get loose, doesn't make them garbage, just means they should be checked on a regular basis. Best of luck, hope it all goes away with the reset.
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:15 PM   #12
1hevy_chevy

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll keep you posted once I get back!
Old 08-08-2017, 12:40 PM   #13
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hevy_chevy View Post
Thanks for the advice guys! I'll keep you posted once I get back!
I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with the system. Aside from disconnecting the battery for a while, I would check all hose clamps to make sure they are fully engaged onto the silicone hose. A small air leak due to a clamp that is not tightened on straight can definitely be an issue. Also make sure the silicone hose couplers are fully engaged onto the inlet elbow and MAF housing.

I can assure you that our system is built to perform exceptionally well on a stock Camaro SS! When installed properly, our system has never set a code for any reason. So I'm sure this problem will be resolved.

Thanks,
Michael
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #14
1hevy_chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with the system. Aside from disconnecting the battery for a while, I would check all hose clamps to make sure they are fully engaged onto the silicone hose. A small air leak due to a clamp that is not tightened on straight can definitely be an issue. Also make sure the silicone hose couplers are fully engaged onto the inlet elbow and MAF housing.

I can assure you that our system is built to perform exceptionally well on a stock Camaro SS! When installed properly, our system has never set a code for any reason. So I'm sure this problem will be resolved.

Thanks,
Michael
I have always had faith in your system, I know it's got to do with my crappy install skillz. Hopefully I don't blow anything up trying to figure this out