Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-17-2019, 11:50 AM   #365
Mgsouthwest2001

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS 8A Hyper Blue
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/07/...verado-sierra/

Have you guys seen this? We know the shudder issue is across the board with GM products. Looks like the 19 Silverado and Sierra 8 speed is getting a new type torque converter. So, if new fluid is the fix why are the trucks getting a new torque converter? Makes me wonder even more if the new fluid is just a band aid.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:46 PM   #366
SilverBlueSS

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgsouthwest2001 View Post
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/07/...verado-sierra/

Have you guys seen this? We know the shudder issue is across the board with GM products. Looks like the 19 Silverado and Sierra 8 speed is getting a new type torque converter. So, if new fluid is the fix why are the trucks getting a new torque converter? Makes me wonder even more if the new fluid is just a band aid.
Your link is from July of 18 The new fluid came out in Jan 19. Just had the new fluid put in my 17 SS. Its running perfect now, hope this fluid is a permanent fix..

best 1/4 time - 13.14 @ 106.30

2017 2SS Hyper Blue

Best drag times.. 60ft = 1.82 1/8 = 7.82 @ 91.51 1/4 =12.10 @ 115.04
SilverBlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:01 PM   #367
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I hope I'm wrong...I really do, but this "fluid fix" has been done a few times now, and the problem still exists. I'll be completely blown away if this new fluid is the "real and permanent fix". Not just some better and more clever way to just prolong the inevitable
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #368
Mgsouthwest2001

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS 8A Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlueSS View Post
Your link is from July of 18 The new fluid came out in Jan 19. Just had the new fluid put in my 17 SS. Its running perfect now, hope this fluid is a permanent fix..

I just got the new fluid too. Mine is running fine now as well. I hope it is a permanent fix as well. But, the link I referenced doesn't talk about fluid. It just mentions that the new 2019 Silverado and Sierra trucks are getting a different type torque converter for the 8A transmission. The 2018 and earlier trucks were having the same type shudder issue as our camaros. So, it just got me thinking and wondering. If it has been determined by GM that the 19 model year truck with the 8A needs a new type torque converter then perhaps that is the case with all the earlier 8A's including our camaros and this new fluid may be another band aid. Again, I hope not. Time and miles on the new fluid will tell.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:49 AM   #369
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Had new fluid done yesterday and it made a huge difference. I guess I didn’t realize how bad it was acting and not just the shudder. I hope this fix holds.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:19 AM   #370
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
We have an affiliate that has released a new billet stall converter for both the V8 A8, and the V6 A8. I don't know much about it, but it's designed to completely correct this issue and the fluid fix is only a temp fix. The issue seems to be in the converter design and the trans tune. This is NOT covered under warranty, but should not have any negative effect on the warranty as this recent email from a customer:

"my dealer installed mine new (XXX) convertor and because of the fact that it is better made than the stock one and also fixed the known GM issue of the shudder they said it won't affect my warranty. They also contacted gm Canada and GMs response was that they acknowledge the shudder problem and were willing to do fluid flushes but if I was willing to pay out of pocket for a convertor they were ok with that. I think the fact they have many documented cases of the shudder and no real fix in this case they are more likely to accept a convertor change where in other situations where the convertor wasn't a known issue then they probably would have voided the warranty but in the Camaros case they admit there is an issue."

You can Email us direct at: Tech@EliteEngineeringUSA.com for more information.

Thanks!!!

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:35 AM   #371
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Just shot an email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2019, 11:47 AM   #372
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
The fluid is probably only a short term fix, hope I am wrong. Doubt they will replace the TC anymore, especially with a new type.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:08 AM   #373
jamesliz1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS2
Stop Rationalizing For GM

I posted much earlier about the realities of the GM 8A transmission. It is inherently flawed by design. Do you really think fluid changes will work?. Other manufacturers don't require such specially designed fluids. Their transmissions simply run with the 'normal fluid' they originally put in. No consumer testing of various fluids needed and no high humidity b.s. cause.

Pretty soon GM will just put tar in the 8A to dampen the shudder for that is all the fluid changes are doing. Go drive a vehicle with the ZF 8 speed transmission made in Germany and you will understand why I stopped trying to justify and rationalize the GM 8A. It is simply a P.O.S. that we are all stuck with. Do you really think these fluid fixes are going to last 100,000 miles? Even when the GM fixes temporarily eliminate shudder it still doesn't perform like the ZF 8 speed in the Dodge Challenger or Charger Scat Pack. That trans connects to 485 HP and it shifts fast, precise and smooth. It has even been compared favorably to dual clutch transmissions.

Now I'm not suggesting you dump your Camaro and go Scat Pack as I did, but I do challenge you to go test drive one to see HOW an 8 speed should perform.

By the way, you are not alone in your plight, 2015 through 2019 owners of Chevy Silverados, Colorados, Corvettes; Cadillac Escalades, ATSs, ATS-Vs, CTSs, CT6s, CTS-Vs; GMC Sierras, Yukons, Yukon XLs,Yukon Denalis and Canyons are also affected and owners have a class action suit in the states of California, Illinois, Florida, New York, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Does that sound like just a fluid problem? I think not. Does my Challenger Scat Pack handle like my Camaro did? Of course not, it was the best handling car I ever drove. Is the Challenger S.P. .3 slower 0-60? Yes indeed, and it is simply a muscle car for straight line acceleration. But the transmission is a jewel. Must be why it's used by Aston Martin, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Rolls Royce, and the Volkswagen Group. Trust me the GM 8A doesn't even remotely perform like the ZF 8 speed.

Stop making excuses for GM and hoping that their fixes will last. You should all demand the same ZF excellence from GM. They are not stupid. They know what is inherently wrong with this transmission. They need to stop applying band-aides and fix it. Good luck to all. No more GM products for me.

Last edited by jamesliz1; 04-21-2019 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling
jamesliz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:16 AM   #374
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesliz1 View Post

Now I'm not suggesting you dump your Camaro and go Scat Pack as I did, but I do challenge you to go test drive one to see HOW an 8 speed should perform.

I dumped my Camaro and got a 19' SP as my lease was up right on time as shudder was getting much worse, so it seemed.

I have to say that after driving the Camaro A8 for 3 1/2 years that even from first day i got into the Camaro, the transmission on the Challenger SP is day and night. Shifts are very smooth and on point in any drive mode. GM is bandaging this problem up with fluids for some time and i feel for you who have to go through this after having my car in 3 times for that crap with no real fix.

Besides that ----- Happy Easter Everyone!!!!
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:04 PM   #375
Fun

Drives: 2020 V6 Auto 3LT RS
I’m supposed to pick up a new 18 leftover tomorrow with A8. Build Date 7/25/17. These posts make me wonder if I should. I’m not hearing about a lot of 18 issues.
Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:13 PM   #376
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun View Post
I’m supposed to pick up a new 18 leftover tomorrow with A8. Build Date 7/25/17. These posts make me wonder if I should. I’m not hearing about a lot of 18 issues.
I say go for it. Some people have never had the shudder. I feel bad for the guys that had multiple trips to the dealer without success in fixing it. It seems like the NEW flush is working, at least for most of us.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:02 PM   #377
jamesliz1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS2
Fun, If dealer won't give you an extended warranty on the transmission beyond the standard warranty of 5 years or 50,000 miles you have an answer to your question. 2018's 8A are at risk for the problem. 10 speed automatic is only sure bet of avoiding it. I seriously doubt individuals with no problem will make it to 100,000 miles trouble-free. They will just have problems after warranties expire. Don't be mislead, new flush hasn't been out long enough to see if it PERMENANTLY fixes problem. Everyone thought other flushes would work and they eventually failed. You need to ask yourself, "Why do these transmissions even need flushes?" Their previous ones didn't. There is a problem!
jamesliz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #378
Bodyslide

Drives: Traded in 2016 BLUE VELVET 2LT RS
I dropped off my car off on Friday afternoon to get the shudder tsb completed. Talked with the Service rep for about 15 minutes on what and when the car is showing the rumble strip vibration. He stated they would need to hook up the scope and get proof that it is happening. If they don't have the proof then they can't complete the flush. The wife and I have talked it over and if the flush isn't done, I'll be looking for a truck by the end of the month. So hopefully it gets fixed. I should know more early next week.
Bodyslide is offline   Reply With Quote