Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-22-2017, 06:51 AM   #1
dray

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 NGM, 2012 Yamaha FZ8
Dealing with the A8 Issue

So, I've been dealing with the shuddering issue like lots of others and read a lot of posts on here about it. Haven't been to the dealer yet because I've been busy and I'm not crazy about driving a Malibu for a week while they fiddle with it.

What I have noticed is I can work around the problem somewhat by how I use the throttle. When I'm in traffic, I try to coast as much as possible (no throttle input whatsoever). When I start to slow down, I sorta goose the throttle...getting it up over 3K to speed up and maintain my position in traffic. Every chance I get, I accelerate hard and then ease up rather than easing into it...letting the traction control do it's job.

With this approach, I still get the shudder occasionally, but not as often. Plus, I get to hear the engine more which is music to my ears.
dray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:01 PM   #2
Natro33

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT2 v6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray View Post
So, I've been dealing with the shuddering issue like lots of others and read a lot of posts on here about it. Haven't been to the dealer yet because I've been busy and I'm not crazy about driving a Malibu for a week while they fiddle with it.

What I have noticed is I can work around the problem somewhat by how I use the throttle. When I'm in traffic, I try to coast as much as possible (no throttle input whatsoever). When I start to slow down, I sorta goose the throttle...getting it up over 3K to speed up and maintain my position in traffic. Every chance I get, I accelerate hard and then ease up rather than easing into it...letting the traction control do it's job.

With this approach, I still get the shudder occasionally, but not as often. Plus, I get to hear the engine more which is music to my ears.
I hear what you're saying, but, should you even have to deal with such an issue? My shudder feels like the driveshaft has a 12oz weight welded to the side. These are flagship 40k+ cars, not acceptable to me. Especially because this just comes down to sloppy programming by GM
Natro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:41 PM   #3
V8RWD

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natro33 View Post
I hear what you're saying, but, should you even have to deal with such an issue? My shudder feels like the driveshaft has a 12oz weight welded to the side. These are flagship 40k+ cars, not acceptable to me. Especially because this just comes down to sloppy programming by GM
Agreed. My 2005 Toyota Corolla is smooth as butta with 200,000km on it. 2017 Camaro should do better. Not even asking for that much here...
V8RWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
AmericanMike

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
I took mine in for this issue. They had it for a day. There is a TSB for this so shouldn't be any fiddling. I put almost 1000 miles on it now with no issue.
AmericanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:27 PM   #5
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Sent mine in on Saturday morning. Heard Saturday evening they need it for longer cause the recall didn't resolve it (Which I told them it wouldn't). And still have yet to hear anything back yet. I'd send it in for peace of mind.. Despite dealers being incompetent
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:08 PM   #6
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
No offense but I don't buy it. If it is such an easy fix and from what you are saying just about every pickup with an A8 has this issue along with from my research most vehicles with the A8 across GM product lines, I honestly haven't seen any proof that they have a permanent resolution for any of these A8 issues. Let's hope they get the bugs worked out of the new A10 joint project with Ford, as I was reading posts on the F150 forum and there are some very disappointed new F150 owners that are dealing with similar frustrations with this all new transmission. Gotta feel for them after dropping over 60K on a new truck and not being able to even drive it.
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
Cameron27

Drives: 2015 2SS

Last edited by Cameron27; 06-06-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Cameron27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:24 PM   #8
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
The ONLY time I get a shudder is coasting down my drive, and the car shits to 2nd. I get a 1/2 sec shudder, with no accelerator input. the only time I have any issue.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #9
mako22

Drives: 2017 HB 2SS
I brought mine in last week, brought the service bulletin with me so I didn't have to waste time explaining. Had the car back in 4 hours...still hearing the shudder slightly, plan on waiting a few weeks and taking it back if it comes back louder. Pain in the ass but there could be worse issues.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:00 PM   #10
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
If the TSB is simply a trans fluid change to the new fluid, it hasn’t fixed all the ltransmissions. The problem is the cylinder deactivation which causes vibrations be to appear in the car. The trans programming slips the converter to reduce the vibrations in the car. It’s not a design that I’d feel comfortable owning for a long time. I think they’ve been through three versions of the converter. It appears GM is bandaiding the problem until they can get all the RWD vehicles switched over to the A10. The real problems occur when the drivetrain warranty runs out
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:26 PM   #11
RxSummit16

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro LT2 RS
Took mine in...emailed them the tsb..took test drive with with trans tech...after a week they gave it back and said it was "characteristic" behavior.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:34 PM   #12
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
If the TSB is simply a trans fluid change to the new fluid, it hasn’t fixed all the ltransmissions. The problem is the cylinder deactivation which causes vibrations be to appear in the car. The trans programming slips the converter to reduce the vibrations in the car. It’s not a design that I’d feel comfortable owning for a long time. I think they’ve been through three versions of the converter. It appears GM is bandaiding the problem until they can get all the RWD vehicles switched over to the A10. The real problems occur when the drivetrain warranty runs out
While I agree that cylinder deactivation does play a role in some A8 issues, it certainly doesn't tell the whole story as from my research there are possibly more I4 Camaro owners dealing with frustrating A8 problems than V6 or V8 owners. A flush just simply isn't going to be a long term fix!
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:15 PM   #13
argus

Drives: 18 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray View Post

Recommend you don't try to work around the problem. It won't heal itself, at least not for long.

Started having issues with the same 8L90 in my truck around the 10k mi mark. Took it in to the dealership around 12k mi, just beyond the Lemon Law threshold for TX, unfortunately. Anyway, I ended up driving three different loaners over many weeks as the dealership worked on my trans back in 2016. They ended up replacing the original trans per GM, which ran even worse initially. Took it back and they reassembled the new trans. It then ran okay. Now, here I am today, 18k mi later, at 30 k mi, and it is starting to act up again. Gonna dump it at this point. Love this truck, but when major drivetrain components act up time after time, it becomes a lost cause. Life is too short.

I know one thing for sure, given the experience described in short above, If the wife's Camaro acts up at any time before 12k mi (it's at roughly 6k mi now), I'm going to the dealer ASAP. If I have to Lemon Law it, I'm ready for the pain. Can't be any worse than what I've gone through with my truck.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:57 PM   #14
Natro33

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT2 v6 A8
I would urge any camaro owner with an A8 that is experiencing these issues to read this thread (http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510888) and post on it. The more posts and visibility we have the better chance we have of getting the issues to gm engineering. Post 24 is where I have posted the majority of conversations as it is relates to this shudder issue. Don't accept "that it's a normal characteristic" of the vehicle, it's not. I love my camaro but it's days out of service have accumulated to more than my states lemon law allows (for more than just A8 issues). I urge you to understand your states lemon law statues and do not accept being pushed around. I'm currently in the middle of a lemon law case with hopes that gm will finally admit to the issue and commit to fixing it. It would be overly nice of me to give them more time to resolve the issue, I'm hoping they can, but I'm not optimistic.
Natro33 is offline   Reply With Quote