Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-26-2016, 10:24 PM   #1
toddux

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Coupe
3 birds, 1 stone; Front Cam, Parking Guideline, HDMI Phone mirroring

Aloha All,

I just thought I'd re-title a thread to make it easier for people to search for "Front View Camera", "Parking Guidelines", or "Phone Mirroring" without knowing that the Korean HD-Link device provides all of these and more.

It taps into the CAN bus wire at the MyLink harness (solving the elusive Reverse detection) and 2 taps into the touch interface harness at the display (providing an OEM look-n-feel).

Here is a quick video of what I used this $250 interface box for.

Many thanks to the OP and all the information here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=HD-Link
that made this daunting task pretty routine.

There's even switched power right there with the center console cigarette lighter. But NO WIRES to cut, Just tap into 3 and they provide 2 in-line harnesses that just plug-in inline. Didn't come with wire taps. Need 5, so plan ahead. (CAN bus, Touch+, Touch-, Power+, Power-)

Check out this video link for accessing the back of your MyLink (very easy)

Here is the Korean retail link:
http://indiwork.co.kr/shop/hd-link/h...for-chevrolet/

After you "add to cart" switch to foreign currency USD and the "bank transfer" will switch to PayPal giving you all the customary American sales protection. I had no problems what so ever, but mostly because the OP filled in many of the language gaps of the English documentation from his experience. Your particular faceplate is mapped to the HD-Link's touch interface, so the actual "buttons" depends on your faceplate (Nav, Non-Nav, CD player, ect.)

I mounted a $15 "mirror switchable" rear view camera right under the front license plate bracket. Nearly invisible. Attached below is a photo of the actual car placement after using the front-view display to park the car (shown in the video)

With an HDMI stick to MirrorCast your phone's screen, non-Nav MyLinks could display the live directions clearly on the MyLink 7" display while the phone charges out-of-sight on the center console's USB outlet.

Malama Pono!
Attached Images

toddux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #2
BigRed82

Drives: 2015 2LT RS Camaro
This is just strangely worded post. I start following it and then I get lost.
BigRed82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:42 PM   #3
toddux

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed82 View Post
This is just strangely worded post. I start following it and then I get lost.
OK? Sorry, I guess?

It is so hard to contribute on this forum without getting negativity...

Thanks for the writing critique.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #4
BigRed82

Drives: 2015 2LT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddux View Post
OK? Sorry, I guess?

It is so hard to contribute on this forum without getting negativity...

Thanks for the writing critique.
I'm not trying to be rude or anything, man. My wife is the English teacher, not me, lol.

I'm just saying it's all over the place and generally hard to follow. It's interesting information, because I read the whole thing and I'd like more information.
BigRed82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:11 PM   #5
toddux

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed82 View Post
I'm not trying to be rude or anything, man. My wife is the English teacher, not me, lol.

I'm just saying it's all over the place and generally hard to follow. It's interesting information, because I read the whole thing and I'd like more information.
OK, here's the short story:

My post is just a summary of the project. Go read the 150 post thread I linked for more detail.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=HD-Link

I was only trying to improve the sites "search" efficiency because if you were searching for "Front Camera" you'd never find this HD-Link thread.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:17 PM   #6
clarkkent

Drives: 2013 2SS (sold)
Awesome! I've been thinking of getting some type of forward camera for parking, but haven't figured out a good solution for what to use as the monitor. I've seen some that tie into phones, but the lag is pretty bad apparently (which is not good for parking obviously). I'll keep this in mine, thanks for posting
Old 04-27-2016, 03:36 PM   #7
toddux

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent View Post
haven't figured out a good solution for what to use as the monitor
I bet you'd love this then. The Front View 'auto activation', just like the Rear View is very nice. (Caution: I haven't seen any M6 owners try this. Works for A6 models though)

$280 after shipping, but you also get:

1) Add your own Rear View Camera (via RCA)
2) Use your OEM Rear View Camera (built into harness)
3) Parking gridlines (adjustable in X/Y; not size)
4) Dynamic parking steering prediction
5) HDMI input for Phone Screen Mirroring
6) Spare AV in (which I might try a curb view from passenger mirror for parallel parking)
7) OEM look (no add-on monitor)
8) Each camera's picture has it's own RGB and brightness adjustments

Check out the main thread. There are tons of pictures that help the install to be pretty easy.

Good Luck
Old 04-27-2016, 06:08 PM   #8
clarkkent

Drives: 2013 2SS (sold)
Thanks, I'll definitely be doing some research
Old 04-27-2016, 10:41 PM   #9
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
web site shows only for MYlink so does not work with the cd player cars
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:06 PM   #10
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
2012 and below have to either figure out how to tap into the monitor in the rear-view mirror, or add an external monitor like I did. Post #48 in my mod signature below.
Attached Images

yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:35 AM   #11
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Nice job!!
Do you have a link on where you bought the front camera?
Do I need any other things besides the Korean box and the camera?

-bobby
Old 04-28-2016, 03:06 AM   #12
toddux

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
Nice job!!
Do you have a link on where you bought the front camera?
Do I need any other things besides the Korean box and the camera?

-bobby
Just the HD-Link, 5 wire taps and a Front Camera (unless you don't have OEM Rear View, in which case you need 2 cameras)

I used this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171980391870 just cut the green wire to cancel 'mirroring' for front use. I chose to leave the distance guidelines (but you can cancel them by cutting the white wire)

A quick EBay search will show many different mounting styles. My State requires front licence plates which provided a perfect surface for stealth mounting.

If you want to MirrorCast your smart phone, you'll need an wifi HDMI device. I used this :
http://www.amazon.com/Miracast-Strea...eywords=wecast

Malama Pono
Old 04-28-2016, 03:15 AM   #13
toddux

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzark99 View Post
2012 and below have to either figure out how to tap into the monitor in the rear-view mirror, or add an external monitor like I did. Post #48 in my mod signature below.

Ya Sorry, no info on models before MyLink. The main thread has posts that say both a 2010 and 2012 performed the gen5diy MyLink retrofit and then also added this HD-Link video switcher without any trouble. But the touch-screen interface to settings menu might be hard to overcome.

Looks like you already have a working solution and even though it doesn't auto switch, you can view both at the same time which I can not. Nice job!

Mahalo for the coment
Old 04-28-2016, 03:22 AM   #14
toddux

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
web site shows only for MYlink so does not work with the cd player cars
I believe that's right. They show a CD Player faceplate supported in their firmware, but that is also a MyLink.

I see you have a 2012, so to pursue this is a little more involved ($$$) for you. I think you'd need to start with the gen5diy MyLink retrofit kit and then the wiring harnesses of the HD-Link would be compatible. Not sure, but the link where I found out all this info had posters that managed this.

If you are interested, maybe they are still active members? Been a few years, but it would be worth a try to get first hand information.

Good Luck