Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #15
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I had this same dilemma when I was going for my cam.. Ended up with a btr stage 3. Sure there's some lugging under 1500 RPM, but cruising ~1900RPM @70ish mph I get 20mpg easy.

As for power I have a thread with the dyno sheet of what I made. Just cam and headers put me at 456hp/426tq (no stock comparison sorry)

I'm not sure what the stage 2 would make, but the engine really screams once I break 3k-3.5k RPM. It's like a whole different car and it scares people who dont expect it.
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:49 PM   #16
ARuiz9

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybeanrice View Post
I had this same dilemma when I was going for my cam.. Ended up with a btr stage 3. Sure there's some lugging under 1500 RPM, but cruising ~1900RPM @70ish mph I get 20mpg easy.

As for power I have a thread with the dyno sheet of what I made. Just cam and headers put me at 456hp/426tq (no stock comparison sorry)

I'm not sure what the stage 2 would make, but the engine really screams once I break 3k-3.5k RPM. It's like a whole different car and it scares people who dont expect it.
What gears do you have? I have 3.91's and I hear they do very well with a cam?
ARuiz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:00 PM   #17
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARuiz9 View Post
Looking to find the right cam to compliment my 1LE, my car has CAI inc intake and Kooks 1 7/8 LTs. I was wondering if anyone is running this cam and how do you like it? Power? Driveability? Gas mileage vs stock? Sound? Etc.

I don't race the car and don't intend to just looking for a cam that will be better than stock which is why MPG is a factor and also why I don't want a big cam.
https://youtu.be/nGw_hpIOJx4

I went with the tsp stage 4...springs, oil pump and trunion upgrade... no regrets. I think the sound speaks for its self..
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:18 PM   #18
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
I keep thinking about the Howards LSA. I don't want a wild peaky cam. I have yet to track this car, but the itch is growing. Average power under the curve is what I want. But may not even bother, just focus on heat management, suspension and brakes (and tires) will be more benefit to consistent, good lap times than 20 more rwhp.

I dunno. Other times I think I want to boost this rig.

One of these days I'll get off my ass and stop wasting money on other hobbies and get back into this one.
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:46 AM   #19
ARuiz9

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkevind View Post
I keep thinking about the Howards LSA. I don't want a wild peaky cam. I have yet to track this car, but the itch is growing. Average power under the curve is what I want. But may not even bother, just focus on heat management, suspension and brakes (and tires) will be more benefit to consistent, good lap times than 20 more rwhp.

One of these days I'll get off my ass and stop wasting money on other hobbies and get back into this one.
Problem is I don't see the point in paying for the 1LE package and then changing the suspension or anything else that's included with the package. I much rather build on it and I feel this car is lacking HP which is why I'm looking for a cam that will compliment the car not make the most HP. I see a lot of ppl buy 1LEs and make them drag cars when they are intended to be track cars.
ARuiz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:08 AM   #20
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Problem is I don't see the point in paying for the 1LE package and then changing the suspension or anything else that's included with the package. I much rather build on it and I feel this car is lacking HP which is why I'm looking for a cam that will compliment the car not make the most HP. I see a lot of ppl buy 1LEs and make them drag cars when they are intended to be track cars.
If it helps you at all I have a line of Road Race specific cam shafts.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:27 AM   #21
deddmoneydave

Drives: 5th gen
Quote:
I much rather build on it and I feel this car is lacking HP which is why I'm looking for a cam that will compliment the car not make the most HP
deddmoneydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:22 AM   #22
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkevind View Post

I think people (especially on forums) focus too much on cam specs and lift numbers. Any aftermarket cam/spring combo is gonna make a huge difference in an LS3.

I picked the Howards asa for the same reason you just mentioned. I didnt want to sacrifice anywhere for gains at 6500rpm. I wanted to gain everywhere under the curve and at 6500rpm.

Car is making great power with CAI, 2inch headers, 3 inch exhaust, and howards asa (502/445). The only downside is that its ground on a 110. It can be annoying in parking lots or low engine speeds.

If you get with a cam designer they can grind you a custom cam that has the best of both worlds for just a few bucks more.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:40 AM   #23
Hixson

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
I think people (especially on forums) focus too much on cam specs and lift numbers. Any aftermarket cam/spring combo is gonna make a huge difference in an LS3.

I picked the Howards asa for the same reason you just mentioned. I didnt want to sacrifice anywhere for gains at 6500rpm. I wanted to gain everywhere under the curve and at 6500rpm.

Car is making great power with CAI, 2inch headers, 3 inch exhaust, and howards asa (502/445). The only downside is that its ground on a 110. It can be annoying in parking lots or low engine speeds.

If you get with a cam designer they can grind you a custom cam that has the best of both worlds for just a few bucks more.
Can you elaborate of the downside of "ground on a 110". New to this and planning cams as well but never have seen this before. Directed here because I too am interested in what the Howards cam has done for fellow c5 members
Hixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:04 PM   #24
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixson View Post
Can you elaborate of the downside of "ground on a 110". New to this and planning cams as well but never have seen this before. Directed here because I too am interested in what the Howards cam has done for fellow c5 members
110 is the Lobe Seperation Angle. Usually the tighter (lower) the lsa, the more driveability may suffer. And there comes a point where tuning cannot save you. Its a physical attribute of your setup.

When a custom designed cam costs $50 more, Why take the chance?
Im going with my bud Ed Curtis from Flowtech Induction.

(The asa was a gift from the wife!)

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:06 PM   #25
MessySS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen L99 View Post
From what I've heard, the stage 3 is the most popular because it's the best between drive ability and power on a stock converter. the stage 2 guys thought that, like you, they don't want a huge cam but want to upgrade. Well then they realize that after the cams installed gas mileage goes down either way, more so than they expect, so why not go for more power? My buddy has a stage III and on the stock converter drive ability is just like stock.
From my experience the stage 3 in my car on the stock converter isn't anything close to stock drivability. Low speed/initial take off is quite jumpy. With that being said I wouldn't trade it for a stage 2, just going to upgrade the converter.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #26
Bretts
SS

Drives: 2015 2ss rs
Quote:
110 is the Lobe Seperation Angle. Usually the tighter (lower) the lsa, the more driveability may suffer. And there comes a point where tuning cannot save you. Its a physical attribute of your setup.

real interested on how this works out for you might be wanting to talk with Ed
on a repeat if it is the ticket, Howards asa has been on the radar until now
CCW sp16a track set, BTR stage 3 cam and kooks longtubes with high flow catsLocks@7.5 degrees castor and radius arm inserts, Ride Tech 2coilovers JDP upper control arm bushings BMR lower knuckle bushing Bo White throttle body3.91 gears Spohn del-sphere toe link and trailing arms Prothane subframe bushings
Bretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #27
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixson View Post
Thanks for asking, I was curious as well!

Quote:

Thank you for the information. What is the OEM LSA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretts View Post
real interested on how this works out for you might be wanting to talk with Ed
on a repeat if it is the ticket, Howards asa has been on the radar until now
Me too! I'm still interested in the Howards. Heck even the GMPP cam. May seem like a waste of money and work to most people, but makes sense to me in some ways.
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:37 PM   #28
Jetscv25

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS L99
BTR Stage Two ROCKS

I have a BTR Stage Two Cam, ARH, CAI, Circle D 3200, Eaton Detroit Truetrac with 3.91 gears!!!! My car gets it... I am putting a supercharger on soon I’m deciding between Whipple and Magnuson. BTR stage two has great low end and midrange power. The 3.91 gear gets you moving. I love my Stage Two Cam and the sound. https://youtu.be/dBH3EZz6DYg https://youtu.be/NHjenE_yxOMhttps://youtu.be/c_KNVDlaQdkhttps://...be/Ovo_Zd5JLxk
Attached Images

Jetscv25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le, btr cam, btr stage 2, cam, fuel economy