Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-17-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
mjross

Drives: 2014 Vette Stingray,2017 Camaro 2SS
Tried to disconnect battery-questions??

I took my 2017 SS to the place I store my cars. Gave up the idea of removing the battery and trickle charging at home like the rest of my cars. If you have tried to remove the battery you know what I’m talking about. NOTE TO CHEVY...THIS IS BS AND I KNOW YOUR ENGINEERS CAN DO BETTER. What a PITA. I finally gave up when it looked like I’d have to remove half the trunk. I thought getting to the battery in my C5’s was a pain. It’s a walk in the park compared to the C6’s. It’s like one of the engineers said...hey let’s see if we can really piss these people off and put the battery in a place that is even more difficult to access. I thought my SSR was bad as it was under the car. This is a good runner up.

So, I decided to do what I do with some of my other cars and just disconnect the battery and leave it in place. OK, got under the hood and disconnected the negative cable. Hmmmm...... lights still on in the car! OK, I’ll fix that, I’ll disconnect the plus cable also. So I disconnected both cables and the power was still on in the car. Could not get the “mood” lights etc to go off.

What is going on here? I thought disconnecting both battery cables under the hood would disconnect power from the car. Well, I’ve got news for you, that does not work. I think the only way is to disconnect the battery in the trunk.

Not only that, getting the negative cable loose was a PITA. The tolerance on the cable connection made it VERY difficult to disconnect with the small amount of corrosion that was present. For a while I thought it was not going to come off. It gets even better! Getting the plastic cover off the plus terminal had me saying things I have not said since I played in a rock band many years ago. All I can tell you is jerk really hard on the plastic piece once YOU THINK YOU HAVE THE SNAPS RELEASED. it just does not want to come off unless you really jerk on it.

Can somebody answer why the power is still going to the car even though you have disconnected both the plus and minus cables? And, why does Chevy make connectors and such so difficult to release. It’s like they are trying to piss you off.

Rant off! Very frustrating event. Thanks for listening. YMMV...

Peace,
mjross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Wow… I don’t understand this… In the trunk on the right side there’s a little door you take off ...//the door pulls off .....then you take a 10 mm wrench and undo the negative battery cable that’s presented it to you… That’s all there is to it.....Entire car dead
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:11 PM   #3
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
You have to disconnect the leads in the trunk, not under the hood.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:30 PM   #4
mjross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Wow… I don’t understand this… In the trunk on the right side there’s a little door you take off ...//the door pulls off .....then you take a 10 mm wrench and undo the negative battery cable that’s presented it to you… That’s all there is to it.....Entire car dead
Door! What door? I see what appears to be a cutout where a door should be. Even if it was a door I do not see how you would access the terminals. The opening would be too small. I do not think a battery would fit through the hole. What do I know! If there is a door, it is not easily visible.

Next spring I’ll see if I can find the access door. Mine appears to be a large molded piece with no access door. Hmm..... does anyone have pictures of the access door? My car is in storage and I can not get to it at the moment.

I’m getting old and my eyes are not what they use to be but I did not see the access door you describe. Knowing my luck, they forgot to put one in my SS.

Thanks for your time and patience.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:38 PM   #5
Lerch98

Drives: 2017 2SS black on black on black.
In the trunk, there is a little 'pop out' panel on the right side. Grab it with your fingers on one side, and thumb on the other side, gently squeeze it together and it pops out. Garrenteed you'll say WTF?. But then you can reach in and disconnect the battery. If you can't get access to the battery terminal, then you'll have to take out the side panel.

I don't know what this material is, But I would bet 10 years down the road those panels will be long gone.

I wonder if the after market has ideas for this?
Lerch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:49 PM   #6
mjross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerch98 View Post
In the trunk, there is a little 'pop out' panel on the right side. Grab it with your fingers on one side, and thumb on the other side, gently squeeze it together and it pops out. Garrenteed you'll say WTF?. But then you can reach in and disconnect the battery. If you can't get access to the battery terminal, then you'll have to take out the side panel.

I don't know what this material is, But I would bet 10 years down the road those panels will be long gone.

I wonder if the after market has ideas for this?
Thanks for the response. Yeah! I’m saying WTF right now! There’s obviously others that have not seen the access door. If I’m correct, someone on the forum discussed getting to the battery and he took the complete panel out on the right side. I think he had to remove some plastic rivets or clamps or something like that.

I really wish someone would video operating the access door. It’s like I previously mentioned, I’m getting old and do not notice things like I use to. The door is obviously there, I just did not see it. However, as I mentioned above, I think others have not found the door either. Once we find it and get a good video, it should be a sticky or something. This is an issue that I think will pop up again. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-17-2017, 06:03 PM   #7
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
I thought the original post was funny as heck, yes there's an access, albeit pretty small. What get's my goat is the panel push pins that hold the larger panel in place. Were those really necessary? Isn't there a better design / style pin so you can easily access / remove you battery. I fought with pulling those trees when installing my amp wiring....

Last edited by Chutzpah; 11-17-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:43 PM   #8
mjross

PLEASE! Does anyone have a picture of the access door. I’ve got to see this thing! Thanks for the help...
Old 11-17-2017, 06:53 PM   #9

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Take a look here...might be helpful....good luck.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...hlight=battery
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:55 PM   #10
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Vert owners get a bit of a break with the half panel.... But you get the idea.
Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #11
Lerch98

Getting old...I feel that one brother. I'm an old school Chevy man. You could change out a battery in 2 minutes. At one time you could have one battery and multiple cars and swap it around. Those times are gone.

When I bought the car, the dealer ship showed me this (along with other stuff). Other wise I would not have known.

I agree, there should be some pix or video or something. I don't have my car with me today so I cann't help you out with pix or vid.

Speaking of those push pins, were you guys able to reuse them or did you have to buy new ones?
Old 11-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #12
Lerch98

thanks for posting the link.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #13
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerch98 View Post
Getting old...I feel that one brother. I'm an old school Chevy man. You could change out a battery in 2 minutes. At one time you could have one battery and multiple cars and swap it around. Those times are gone.

When I bought the car, the dealer ship showed me this (along with other stuff). Other wise I would not have known.

I agree, there should be some pix or video or something. I don't have my car with me today so I cann't help you out with pix or vid.

Speaking of those push pins, were you guys able to reuse them or did you have to buy new ones?
I’m sure you could reuse if not damaged too bad. I pulled them part way out, cut them and replaced in kind ( the auto parts store didn’t have a similar size in a different style)
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:52 PM   #14
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
If you get the rright trim tool, Usually known as a trim popper…you can pull them out and they go back in without replacing them. It’s one those tools you got to have if you’re gonna work on a car made after 2010…

If you’re going to screw with your car, you need a kit like this

https://www.amazon.com/Panel-Window-...per+tool&psc=1
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote