Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-09-2015, 08:28 AM   #1
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Lightbulb Notes from three Days with the 2016-2017 Camaro (6th gen) [Updated with sound clip]

Updated with sound clip:

There is a 'Vette behind it and the Camaro sounds about a thousand times better than the Vette, I am not joking. It is throaty as hell. Upon reflection, some of it could have been induction noise as well as exhaust, intake air can be very loud. Regardless, it sounded awesome, it is going to be another great car to look forward to.

Admin note: the photos used are from this earlier prototype sighting
at the Nurburgring - http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379197

By sheer stroke of luck it so happened I spent time over the past three days literally feet away from where the new Camaro was being R&D'd and test driven by a team of GM engineers and techs. Out of respect I won't divulge specifics (they were stuck with me being there, so could not "hide"). I'm a mighty happy Z/28 owner and I was able to spend some time chatting with the GM guys. An amazing experience and opportunity for me! I'll offer some bullet points from my experience, all of which were gleaned via observation or deduction, obviously the guys would disclose NO details about the car.

* They are veterans of previous Camaro developments.
* "Car guys" through and through, no doubt.
* The new car even with the camo has lovely lines. It is going to be stunningly good looking. Just like current gen, there is not a bad angle on the car.
* I'd guess it is roughly 10-15% smaller in overall size than current gen.
* One could extrapolate from that it'll be lighter (10-15%?) than current gen.
* The car I saw was a NA V8 (based on the sound). Listen to the video clip above.
* At least one version will have MR shocks.
* They are a hard working bunch! At it very early and working very late every day. Paychecks are well-earned!

There was a current gen Z/28 "x"-VIN mule being used as part of this testing. So car guys and technical types could read something into that if they wanted to. Funny aside- the poor Z/28 looked absolutely abused beyond belief. One exit on each side of the dual exhaust was burned pure ash white, the exit adjacent to it was black and thick with carbon. I though that was pretty wild. That car was going to the crusher after the testing. Wild.

Oh yeah, last thing, a comment was made that the 6th gen was anticipated to "destroy" a 350r Mustang. So sit back and enjoy the journey to the release date with confidence and anticipation

That's all I know, there are no pictures or other details.

6th Camaro fans are in expert, capable hands. I can't wait to see the product unveiling.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
That will be awesome if it comes with MR shocks at release! Hopefully it won't be limited to some limited production $55k+ version. This is a feature I really want.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:52 AM   #3
Z/284ever

Drives: A few Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Good. Something we already knew, but is reassuring to hear.
Z/284ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:28 AM   #4
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
What do you mean by 'overall size'?

In terms of overall length, a 10-15% reduction from 190.6" would mean a car measuring between 162" and 171.5". In other words, a car in the FR-S/BRZ range (166").

I don't think so. The camo'd cars don't look anywhere near that small.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #5
Millertime555

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post

In terms of overall length, a 10-15% reduction from 190.6" would mean a car measuring between 162" and 171.5". In other words, a car in the FR-S/BRZ range (166").

You did take a "rough guess" and use it for calculations, so it could be a fair amount smaller, just not FR-S small
Millertime555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #6
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post

Well, square area wouldn't require such a drastic reduction in just one dimension, even less so if you factor in height.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #7

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
By sheer stroke of luck it so happened I spent time over the past three days literally feet away from where the new Camaro was being R&D'd and test driven by a team of GM engineers and techs. Out of respect I won't divulge specifics (they were stuck with me being there, so could not "hide"). I'm a mighty happy Z/28 owner and I was able to spend some time chatting with the GM guys. An amazing experience and opportunity for me! I'll offer some bullet points from my experience, all of which were gleaned via observation or deduction, obviously the guys would disclose NO details about the car.

* They are veterans of previous Camaro developments.
* "Car guys" through and through, no doubt.
* The new car even with the camo has lovely lines. It is going to be stunningly good looking. Just like current gen, there is not a bad angle on the car.
* One could extrapolate from that it'll be lighter (10-15%?) than current gen.
* The car I saw was a NA V8 (based on the sound).
* At least one version will have MR shocks.
* They are a hard working bunch! At it very early and working very late every day. Paychecks are well-earned!

That's all I know, there are no pictures or other details.

6th Camaro fans are in expert, capable hands. I can't wait to see the product unveiling.
Thanks for the positive comments and congrats on your relationship with Chevy. (You sort of went off the grid for a while, and I re-call "they" did request some sort of input from you).....Very nice....

Don't get frustrated at the inevitable inquisition that will soon follow....lol...

Thanks again for some real-world info....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:57 AM   #8
mako22

Drives: 2017 HB 2SS
dang I was hoping for some info we didn't already know.

actually, your experience does shoot down the conspiracy theory that there is some major problem with the 6th gen that is "delaying" the reveal, so thank you for that.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:02 AM   #9

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mako22 View Post

actually, your experience does shoot down the conspiracy theory that there is some major problem with the 6th gen that is "delaying" the reveal, so thank you for that.
I'm still holding out hope, and based on Z-fats post, that the styling will be more of a surprise than what the camos and renders are showing as being similar to the 5thGens...

Sounds better than "just not any heavier" than the 5thGens...

Smaller, lighter, more powerful....All great things for the 6thGen....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:04 AM   #10
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
This thread is worthless without PICS!!!!

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:47 PM   #11
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
I am glad that you respected to not tell any specifics!

Don't want anyone getting fired or in trouble.

Glad you got to see them in person. Im hoping I run into a prototype around here winter testing lol
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:11 PM   #12
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Thanks for the positive comments and congrats on your relationship with Chevy. (You sort of went off the grid for a while, and I re-call "they" did request some sort of input from you).....Very nice...
The "they" situation progressed deeply, but has not resulted in anything publicized as of yet. Not sure what direction it goes. And that had nothing to do with this happening. Just to clarify. I want to make clear my experience was due to me being at the right place at the right time which otherwise had nothing to do with Chevy. A person who is not a Camaro guy would have had no idea as to the significance of what was going on around him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako22 View Post

No secret to say they were, among other things, doing seriously exhaustive tire testing. Mount/destroy, mount/destroy, ect ect. This should not be taken to mean Goodyear tires will come on the new car because the reason you test is to choose from choices

There was a current gen Z/28 "x"-VIN mule being used as part of this testing. So car guys and technical types could read something into that if they wanted to. Funny aside- the poor Z/28 looked absolutely abused beyond belief. One exit on each side of the dual exhaust was burned pure ash white, the exit adjacent to it was black and thick with carbon. I though that was pretty wild. That car was going to the crusher after the testing. Wild.

Oh yeah, last thing, a comment was made that the 6th gen was anticipated to "destroy" a 350r Mustang. So sit back and enjoy the journey to the release date with confidence and anticipation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
Well, square area wouldn't require such a drastic reduction in just one dimension, even less so if you factor in height.
That is a good way to interpret my comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
This thread is worthless without PICS!!!!
Believe me I understand

Lol!

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:16 PM   #13
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Good read, thank you.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #14
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT VR/RS CGM Rally's
Thank you for this...Very cool, few people get to see testing of a whole new exciting car

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 camaro spy, 2016 camaro spy photo, 2016 camaro spy photos, 2016 camaro spy pics, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation