Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-31-2013, 02:32 AM   #15
MightymouseSS

Drives: 2011 LS3
My 11' ss does the same thing. Dealer replaced the clutch pedal assembly and it helped but it still does it, espically when I run it at the drags I gotta baby 2nd cuz then it ll grind and ill end up blowing the run.
SLP loudmouth 2
Nightfury Cam
Mike Norris CC
Tuned by Southwest Speed
MightymouseSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:47 AM   #16
Medi0cr3
Untamed Performance EPT

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightymouseSS View Post
My 11' ss does the same thing. Dealer replaced the clutch pedal assembly and it helped but it still does it, espically when I run it at the drags I gotta baby 2nd cuz then it ll grind and ill end up blowing the run.
I read somewhere that there isn't enough fluid being sent to the slave cylinder and not allowing it to come out. Although for my 3rd gear grind issue i could see this.

I also read somewhere that the stock clutch grabs even tighter at high RPMs and if the plate doesn't disengage fully, it will deny you a gear change as it isn't off the plate.

Food for thought, replace OEM master cylinder with an Ideal Garage and be done with it
Hurst Short-Shifter; Ideal Garage Master Cylinder
H-E Street Slayer Twin Billet Clutch
BMR: Adjustable; Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Extreme Sway Bar. BMR Subframe Bushings.
Strange Rear Coilovers and mounts
Tuned by Rhino79

Medi0cr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:59 AM   #17
MiSTER

Drives: 2010 2SS CGM Camaro, 1988 6.6L IROC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medi0cr3 View Post
I read somewhere that there isn't enough fluid being sent to the slave cylinder and not allowing it to come out. Although for my 3rd gear grind issue i could see this.

I also read somewhere that the stock clutch grabs even tighter at high RPMs and if the plate doesn't disengage fully, it will deny you a gear change as it isn't off the plate.

Food for thought, replace OEM master cylinder with an Ideal Garage and be done with it
There's a little more to the SS/1LE grinding issue than just the OEM master cylinder. Post #135 in the thread below sums up the problems that contribute to the TR6060 grinding issue.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=159933&page=6
MiSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
SERVED_USMC

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSTER View Post
There's a little more to the SS/1LE grinding issue than just the OEM master cylinder. Post #135 in the thread below sums up the problems that contribute to the TR6060 grinding issue.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=159933&page=6

So its a 50/50 if the new cylinder will fix it? Not only that, its been like this since the original owner bought it in 2010. Whos to say that I may not have more issues down the road because of worn parts from having this issue.
SERVED_USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #19
edgehead2000
2016 Camaro 1LT 2.0T

Drives: Nemesis
Just bleed the clutch by sucking out the reservoir and filling with new fluid. Pump clutch with engine on 20x, 5 reps. I used ATE Superblue this weekend and the clutch feels solid. The clutch disengagement was quiet at the start but at the end, you could clearly hear the clutch assembly disengaging (click, click).

You wouldn't believe how much brake/clutch debris came out. I think i saw some small bugs and bits of leaves in there too lol. Shifts like a champ now.
edgehead2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #20
SERVED_USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgehead2000 View Post
Just bleed the clutch by sucking out the reservoir and filling with new fluid. Pump clutch with engine on 20x, 5 reps. I used ATE Superblue this weekend and the clutch feels solid. The clutch disengagement was quiet at the start but at the end, you could clearly hear the clutch assembly disengaging (click, click).

You wouldn't believe how much brake/clutch debris came out. I think i saw some small bugs and bits of leaves in there too lol. Shifts like a champ now.
I suppose that would be a good option before I spend the money on everything else. It does have an aftermarket clutch, so its possible it wasnt bled properly the first time around.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #21
MiSTER

Drives: 2010 2SS CGM Camaro, 1988 6.6L IROC
I have IDEALG's modified clutch master cylinder and it's a noticeable improvement over the stock unit. It definitely has a better feel. I've bled the system a few times with ATE and then tried Amsoil 600. Also tried using a separate reservoir. Mine still grinds. Again, the TR6060 for the SS/1LE are hit or miss...
MiSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #22
CamaroGirl5
@moorethrottle

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS F1X 427 LSNext
I have the IdealG Master Cylinder and I had my dealer do those carbon blocker ring things and it still grinds...I give up and am just going to deal with it.
CamaroGirl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #23
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGirl5 View Post
I have the IdealG Master Cylinder and I had my dealer do those carbon blocker ring things and it still grinds...I give up and am just going to deal with it.

When does it grind? only during high rpm shifting or does it do it other times? Did you bleed the clutch good?

I vacuum bleed cars that have the speed bleeder line installed. I put a vacuum on the speed bleeder using a clear hose attached to a canister so i can see when the bubbles disappear.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #24
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSTER View Post
I have IDEALG's modified clutch master cylinder and it's a noticeable improvement over the stock unit. It definitely has a better feel. I've bled the system a few times with ATE and then tried Amsoil 600. Also tried using a separate reservoir. Mine still grinds. Again, the TR6060 for the SS/1LE are hit or miss...

The ZL1 grinds too. I've been saying it from the begining the problem lies in the trans, My Master Cylinder has worked wonders for many people but there are still some of us like the two of you who still have grind issues.

What gets me is why do some do it and some don't. Tremec says that thier TR6060 trans is flawless they deny all claims of grind. I call BS
I can't name names but there are guys I know who spent $6K on upgraded transmissions from known vendors who still have the grind

As far as my master cylinder goes.. I've stated it won't help everyone but it's way better the stock unit. Our clutch fluid gets dirty very fast and that little bit of dirt causes the already weak stock master cylinder to fail even more.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #25
CamaroGirl5
@moorethrottle

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS F1X 427 LSNext
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEALG View Post
When does it grind? only during high rpm shifting or does it do it other times? Did you bleed the clutch good?

I vacuum bleed cars that have the speed bleeder line installed. I put a vacuum on the speed bleeder using a clear hose attached to a canister so i can see when the bubbles disappear.
I didnt personally bleed the system so I cannot vouch for that but the dealer did...I am going to take it to my performance guy and he is doing a few spring tune up things to it and I am going to have him do that too so I know its done right.

It only grinds at high RPMs...I really havent put it thru its paces yet but I did about 5, 1 thru 4 gear runs on the street and it ground in 2nd every time...It use to grind into 3rd really bad too but that seems to be gone. Also, when it ground into 2nd, it still let me get it into gear and didnt block me out like it usually did. I will post more when I beat on it more and take it to the track.

I agree with you about these trans...
CamaroGirl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #26
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGirl5 View Post
I didnt personally bleed the system so I cannot vouch for that but the dealer did...I am going to take it to my performance guy and he is doing a few spring tune up things to it and I am going to have him do that too so I know its done right.

It only grinds at high RPMs...I really havent put it thru its paces yet but I did about 5, 1 thru 4 gear runs on the street and it ground in 2nd every time...It use to grind into 3rd really bad too but that seems to be gone. Also, when it ground into 2nd, it still let me get it into gear and didnt block me out like it usually did. I will post more when I beat on it more and take it to the track.

I agree with you about these trans...

Ok sounds good, Definitely bleed it again. I hate dealers they hire anyone and they all think they know what they are doing. good luck with it
Old 04-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #27
usnavydoc

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3, 2012 Ford Focus SE
I just bled all of my transmission fluid out this morning and replaced it with Royal Purple Synchromax as some in this forum suggested. Felt an improvement, although it stills grinds 2nd gear when the car is cold. The transmission does feel smoother between shifts, and doesn't take as long to feel smoother (stock fluid needed to be close to 180 degrees before grind was reduced, Royal Purple around 160 degrees). Still, the grind is still there, and I didn't expect Royal Purple to magically solve the issue.

Lawsuit link on thread above is interesting...
Old 04-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #28
SERVED_USMC

Has anyone actually broken internal trans parts from this. I said to hell with it tonight and ran 1-4 a few times. It does grind, but like the poster on the other page said, it does not not allow me to shift into second. We all know this cant be good on parts. But, which parts will be the ones having the problems later down the road?