#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 12-14-2016, 10:31 AM   #1
jesusmetal777
noob

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Track day safety gear

I'm planning to track my ZL1 in the spring at Blackhawk Farms Raceway, but first completing a 2-day High Performance Driving course at Skip Barber (using their vehicles, which would be my first time on a track, ever).

What do you guys recommend, if anything, for additional safety equipment when tracking? When it comes to safety I prefer to err on the side of caution. Is it worth it to invest in a head+neck restraint and/or a 5/6 point harness? HANS device, hybrid, or R3? I've read 4-pt harness are not allowed by some clubs?

Or is the airbag and OEM seatbelt sufficient?

This thread from earlier this year talks about some of the safety mods that can be performed, anticipating the 6th Gen Recaro seats will not be harness-friendly. I prefer not to install a harness bar, so as to keep the backseat functional, but if a 5/6 point harness is recommended and the only way to get it, I'll do it.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Have your checked with the track or the event sponsors to see what is required to pass a tech inspection? Some might require 5-6 point harness, fire extinguisher, upgraded brake fluid, specific helmet standard, etc.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:35 AM   #3
jesusmetal777
noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
Have your checked with the track or the event sponsors to see what is required to pass a tech inspection? Some might require 5-6 point harness, fire extinguisher, upgraded brake fluid, specific helmet standard, etc.
For BFR Automotive Track Days, the only required piece of equipment is a SNELL approved helmet. Seems rather minimalistic.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
genecag

Drives: 16 2SS
In the old days when cars topped at 300HP and most under 250, a good helmet was all that was needed for a performance driving school and track days. Theses days, any novice can show up with 500HP and it's really scary. So, getting additional safety equipment is a good idea.

I would recommend that you attend some more performance driving schools through local chapters of BMWs. They (We) have a good 2 day weekend programs that can help you to learn more about driving your car. You would start as a "D" novice and progress with your ability to "C - B - A". The schools are well structured with safety as the main priority. Yes, BMW Club is open to all car makes unlike some other clubs. These events will get you acclimated to the "club driving" culture.

Track Days are a next step in my opinion. These events are a little less structured and participants should have some seat time to feel comfortable and safe. I have seen some drivers go to theses events to set new track times (lol) and can be a danger to novice drivers.

Have fun and be safe!
Old 12-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #5
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
+1
Old 12-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #6
diirk

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I'd say...get a Miata. A much safer platform to learn how to drive on a track.
1morproject
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:20 PM   #7
jesusmetal777
noob

Thanks for the input. I already purchased the Skip Barber 2 Day HPDE (via 30% discounted gift certificates). So I'll definitely be doing the HPDE before tracking at BFR. Whenever I do track at BFR, I'll automatically be grouped in with the Novices, as it will be my first time at BFR, which requires instructor-guided acclimation to the BFR track. So I think I'll have a solid educational prep.

Any recommendations for specific combinations of safety equipment for the Gen6 with Recaro seats?
Old 12-14-2016, 06:37 PM   #8
Sub

Drives: 2017 ZL1
When I tracked my vette, I used a 5-point harness (used rear seatbelt bolts for the bar), fire extinguisher on the passenger side, nomex underwear, long sleeve shirt, arai helmet. Each club varies a bit..

Have fun at skip barber! I did there course as well. Was a lot of fun as a beginner..
Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #9
jesusmetal777
noob

Thanks! Did you consider a head+neck restraint device at any point? The more I research this subject on other forums, the more I am leaning toward a harness and HANS (or equivalent) combination. If I am strapped in tightly with the harness, in the event of a crash it's possible my head won't even reach the airbag. From what I understand the HANS device is designed to prevent hyperextension of the neck.

Now to figure out the best 5- or 6-pt harness setup for these Recaros...
Old 12-14-2016, 09:54 PM   #10
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
IMHO...

I'm in a similar situation. I tracked a Focus ST for three years and just recently got a SS 1LE.

It's an order of magnitude beyond the abilities of the Focus and as such, the results of a mistake/accident are potentially greater.

I went with a new helmet and a HANS device.

My region doesn't require it. I run with SCCA and Chin.

Simpson just came out with a HANS device that works with 3-point OEM belts.

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/hybri...lt-compatible/

I'd like to upgrade to a 4-point belt like the one from Schroth, but it's not avail for 6th Gen yet.

https://www.schrothracing.com/products/quickfit#3317

For me, the feeling that comes with the additional safety equipment gives me the freedom to spend more time driving at 9 or 10/10ths.

I searched around a bit for deals. If you are patient, you can get good deals on safety equipment. Motorsportreg just had a group buy on the Simpson Hybrid. $929

Good luck!

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:15 AM   #11
jesusmetal777
noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
I'd like to upgrade to a 4-point belt like the one from Schroth, but it's not avail for 6th Gen yet.

https://www.schrothracing.com/products/quickfit#3317

For me, the feeling that comes with the additional safety equipment gives me the freedom to spend more time driving at 9 or 10/10ths.
Congrats on the new ride! I'm actually planning to do Skip Barber 3/26 & 3/27 at Sebring down by you (shipping the wife and kids to Universal Studios for a couple days while I drive down for the HPDE).

I noticed it was you who posted Schroth's email in that other thread about having no current plans to develop the 4-pt Quickfit for Gen6. Do you think they will change that tune, and/or have you seen any similar products from other manufacturers?

I'm curious, when you had the Focus, was it for track only or did you drive it on the street regularly? I'm still wondering about potential consequences of installing a 4+pt harness in a street driver that is occasionally tracked...whether the harness restraint will reduce the airbag's ability to prevent neck injury.

Nice avatar by the way...I played through Fallout 4 last winter. Working through Doom now and waiting for Skyrim to come out on the Nintendo Switch.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:32 AM   #12
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
If I recall correctly Skip Barber also wrote a pretty good book on performance driving. Might be worth reading before you attend your event.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:06 AM   #13
swiftkart

Drives: 2010 SS/RS LS3 M6
Good luck on your outing, BFR is a nice little track, should be fun in a new ZL1, I haven't been there since 2005 when I raced my 250 superkart, we were running 1:01 to 1:02 laps, it's a pretty quick track.
swiftkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:33 PM   #14
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
There are products that naturally get overlooked since this is a car forum but, I can tell you from professional experience that the neck devices used for motocross work very well and are a heck of a lot cheaper than some of the options in the car segment. I have the Atlas 2, Leatt and Alpinestar collars and they have kept me walking through some violent crashes that I very seriously doubt would be less severe than a track-day crash. I'm talking about falling out of the sky from 40 feet at 40 mph. Typical ragdoll stuff. I made my living in this support a while back and wish that they were available much earlier.

Yeah, they are not as complex as the simpsons and others but if I had a choice of a $200 brace or nothing, I'm choosing the cheaper alternative.

http://www.motosport.com/product?psr...=c&matchtype=e