Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #15
JacobC1983

Drives: 2019 ZL1
I just sold my 2013 stock (+RotoFab)ZL1.

I am curious how wide you feel the performance gap is between the new SS and old ZL1.

Are they close from stoplight to stoplight and from 60 to 120mph? Or is it clear that the old ZL1 felt faster?

Also, how is the road noise on the highway compared to your old ZL1. My hope is the new SS is quieter on the highway and easier to live with on longer trips.
JacobC1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:02 PM   #16
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I just drove an A8 SS w/NPP at my local dealership and this car is wicked fast. If you want repeatable 1/4 mile runs with power that does not overwhelm the tires from a standstill, this is the car for you all day every day.

I did back to back runs in the SS and my car on a long stretch of road with my salesman who urged me to see what she was made of and we both came away impressed. I had to peddle my car to get the power down whereas the automatic 8 speed SS was just stomp and hold on as you listen to the quick smooth shifts all the while in sport mode, this is ZL1 performance in a regular SS. WOW!!!

The new 6th gen ZL1 will be Z06 territory like fast, no doubt about it.

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 12-28-2015 at 10:12 PM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:20 PM   #17
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Here's some thoughts from my perspective and maybe some stuff to consider. I drove my 2012 ZL1 M6 for about 3 years and have had a 2016 2SS A8 for a few weeks. I drove 500 miles with the 2012 ZL1 miles to pickup the 2016 2SS and then drove 500 miles back the same day with the new Camaro. Both were awesome in their own way and I wish I could have kept both.

TRZ, since you drove your 2012 ZL1 to the dealer and the 2016 SS back, what were your initial impressions and now your longer term impressions of the Gen6. I am a few years away from trading my 2012 ZL1 but still very curious about how close the two cars are in real life. Especially the impressions from early ZL1 owners.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:07 PM   #18
trz174

Drives: Used to Drive Blue Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Here's some thoughts from my perspective and maybe some stuff to consider. I drove my 2012 ZL1 M6 for about 3 years and have had a 2016 2SS A8 for a few weeks. I drove 500 miles with the 2012 ZL1 miles to pickup the 2016 2SS and then drove 500 miles back the same day with the new Camaro. Both were awesome in their own way and I wish I could have kept both.

TRZ, since you drove your 2012 ZL1 to the dealer and the 2016 SS back, what were your initial impressions and now your longer term impressions of the Gen6. I am a few years away from trading my 2012 ZL1 but still very curious about how close the two cars are in real life. Especially the impressions from early ZL1 owners.
Good questions. 500 miles of seat time in both cars on the same day over the same roads does bring out some differences. First and foremost, the ZL1 is clearly the beast of the two. You know you are driving a high HP muscle car because it sounds like one and drives like one all the time. You don't easily forget you are driving the ZL1. The bigger front tires require your complete attention on bad roads at 70 mph. The 2016 2SS is much more refined and easy to fit into if you are used to the 5th Gens. Visibility is about the same and the lane warnings are nice once you get used to them.

It's very easy to forget you are driving a fast car because the 2SS handles so well and is quiet compared to the ZL1. The adjustability for the exhaust is a nice touch but I left it in track mode except when playing. The seats (non-Recaros) are better in the ZL1 but both cars are easy to drive long distances. Overall, the technical evolution is the biggest difference. Almost everything is refined, easier to use, and seems to have the benefit of five years of testing and engineers who listened. For example, the sun visors are actually functional in the 2SS, the iPhone interface works pretty well, and the backup camera display beats the heck out of the rear view mirror one in the ZL1. The ride and traction control adjustability on the 2SS give you about everything you need to run street tires or DRs in the low 12s and high 11s. To do the same with the ZL1, you have to pull fuses to get power and avoid the nannie surprises.

Both cars have NPP, MRC and 6 piston Brembos and the performance comparison is interesting. The ZL1 is a beast when you hit the gas. It feels really fast and the supercharger just sounds awesome. You have to be careful in the first three gears and treat it like a baby when the road is wet or the tires break loose. The 2SS is kinda boring until you hit the gas. Lots of torque steer like the ZL1 but not the instant power - just steady pull until it shifts. That said, the 2SS was faster in both ET and 60ft than the ZL1 and the 2SS was very consistent. Keep in mind that my ZL1 was an M6 and the 2SS is an automatic. I've never been able to run good (1.8) and consistent 60ft times with the ZL1 but hit it right off the bat with the 2SS on both street tires and DRs.

Braking is awesome but really about the same with both even though the 2SS has smaller tires. One thing I like is that the 2SS doesn't suddenly break traction during normal driving like when you accelerate into traffic, turn at a light on a slick corner, or get frisky getting on to the interstate.

I've put about 2K miles on the 2SS and don't really have anything to add. It's easy to drive in traffic and I don't worry about taking it anywhere (except for the parking). The gas mileage increase on the 2SS was a nice surprise and I really don't notice the 8 cyl to 4 cyl transition anymore.

The switch to a 2SS now was a good move for me. For what it's worth, I am planning on another ZL1 in 2017 and also plan to keep the 2SS.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
trz174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:38 PM   #19
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
trz,

I enjoy reading your insights. Good stuff.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #20
Factorypilot

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by trz174 View Post
<snip> One thing I like is that the 2SS doesn't suddenly break traction during normal driving like when you accelerate into traffic, turn at a light on a slick corner, or get frisky getting on to the interstate. </snip>
Really great insights TRZ. I'm very new to Camaros (never owned one) and I've only started my research on them as of 3 weeks ago. Funny I was about to pull the trigger on a new Challenger (Scat Pack) before the Camaro caught my eye.

I pulled this part of your quote because it validates my limited experience with the ZL1 vs. the 2016 2SS. I took a ZL1 out for a test drive a few days ago (as well as a used GT500) and found your insights spot on. In fact, it's exactly these things that kept me from buying a ZL1 -- I kept getting a vision of my wife getting sideways on an onramp or unintentionally breaking the ass end of the car loose because of how much power the car has. It's a lot of fun to drive, but definitely commands respect, and while I am more than capable of handling that kind of power, my wife is not.

In short, I didn't find that amount of power usable on the street. That's just based on my brief experience with it. The 2ss on the other hand felt just as fast, except I wasn't breaking the tires loose with large applications of power (I drove with it on sport mode). It was a confidence inspiring car. I also found the seats in the 2ss more comfortable than the ZL1 personally, but again my experience is very limited with both cars.

The ZL1 kinda reminded me of the business jet I used to fly. It had so much thrust that if you weren't continually on top of it you'd find yourself in a lot of trouble in a very short amount of time. A fun aircraft to fly to be sure, but boy you sure had to use good judgment or you were going to be pooping your pants lol.

Anyways, great write up, thanks again!

Cheers.
Factorypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #21
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
TRZ , you should be the one writing articles on the car mag , not those guys that we all know who they are , well done
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:56 PM   #22
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Imagine this guys

Be prepared for this in the ZL1 -

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/01/...the-internets/
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:22 PM   #23
OldJedi
Use the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by trz174 View Post
Good questions. 500 miles of seat time in both cars on the same day over the same roads does bring out some differences. First and foremost, the ZL1 is clearly the beast of the two. You know you are driving a high HP muscle car because it sounds like one and drives like one all the time. You don't easily forget you are driving the ZL1. The bigger front tires require your complete attention on bad roads at 70 mph. The 2016 2SS is much more refined and easy to fit into if you are used to the 5th Gens. Visibility is about the same and the lane warnings are nice once you get used to them.

It's very easy to forget you are driving a fast car because the 2SS handles so well and is quiet compared to the ZL1. The adjustability for the exhaust is a nice touch but I left it in track mode except when playing. The seats (non-Recaros) are better in the ZL1 but both cars are easy to drive long distances. Overall, the technical evolution is the biggest difference. Almost everything is refined, easier to use, and seems to have the benefit of five years of testing and engineers who listened. For example, the sun visors are actually functional in the 2SS, the iPhone interface works pretty well, and the backup camera display beats the heck out of the rear view mirror one in the ZL1. The ride and traction control adjustability on the 2SS give you about everything you need to run street tires or DRs in the low 12s and high 11s. To do the same with the ZL1, you have to pull fuses to get power and avoid the nannie surprises.

Both cars have NPP, MRC and 6 piston Brembos and the performance comparison is interesting. The ZL1 is a beast when you hit the gas. It feels really fast and the supercharger just sounds awesome. You have to be careful in the first three gears and treat it like a baby when the road is wet or the tires break loose. The 2SS is kinda boring until you hit the gas. Lots of torque steer like the ZL1 but not the instant power - just steady pull until it shifts. That said, the 2SS was faster in both ET and 60ft than the ZL1 and the 2SS was very consistent. Keep in mind that my ZL1 was an M6 and the 2SS is an automatic. I've never been able to run good (1.8) and consistent 60ft times with the ZL1 but hit it right off the bat with the 2SS on both street tires and DRs.

Braking is awesome but really about the same with both even though the 2SS has smaller tires. One thing I like is that the 2SS doesn't suddenly break traction during normal driving like when you accelerate into traffic, turn at a light on a slick corner, or get frisky getting on to the interstate.

I've put about 2K miles on the 2SS and don't really have anything to add. It's easy to drive in traffic and I don't worry about taking it anywhere (except for the parking). The gas mileage increase on the 2SS was a nice surprise and I really don't notice the 8 cyl to 4 cyl transition anymore.

The switch to a 2SS now was a good move for me. For what it's worth, I am planning on another ZL1 in 2017 and also plan to keep the 2SS.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
Thanks TRZ, I really appreciate the input and opinions. The extended warranty on my 12 ZL1 does not expire until 2019 so I will keep it for a while longer. We both jumped the gun with the 12 ZL1 and missed out on Recaro seats. I do not plan to make that mistake again. I still think the ZL1 sounds better than the 6th Gen SS but I might be biased too. I know that there is a 6th Gen in our future just not sure exactly what or when just yet. If you road track your car this spring/summer, let me know what you think of it. Thanks again and best of luck with your new ride.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #24
ELS1

Drives: N/A
TRZ, awesome write up! I'm doing research as well and you answered all my questions! I'm waiting for 2017 to see if they address some of minor gripes that people have (getting all over the place with minor throttle, better seats, etc...). It will be my daily driver which also means being in Houston traffic for about and hour each way. I'm anxiously waiting...
ELS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:35 PM   #25
trz174

Drives: Used to Drive Blue Camaros
Thanks to both Old Jedi and ELS1. Chevrolet has had plenty of time to figure out what people want and what will sell the new ZL1. The thought of the present 2SS with just an LT4 is really exciting. The addition of ZL1 quality components (and Recaros!) will turn it into something I can drive, enjoy and beat the hell out of for years without a worry.
trz174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:59 PM   #26
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by S420merc View Post
Considering the price difference will be about 20k
Between the ZL1 and the SS what would
U expect performance wise.
I am between ordering a 1ss with 8 speed
NPP and MRC
Just dont know how fast would the ZL1 have to
Be in your opinion to justify the uptick in price
For me the ZL1 auto would have to be 0-60 bellow 3.4
To pay the upcharge
The Z06 makes a standard Stingray look slow (And the Stingray is a supercar by most standards)....apply the same concept to the ZL1 vs SS....
Old 02-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #27
OldJedi
Use the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
The Z06 makes a standard Stingray look slow (And the Stingray is a supercar by most standards)....apply the same concept to the ZL1 vs SS....
That is an excellent way to explain the difference! I just hope the new ZL1 with the LT4 has learned the lessons of the Z06 and can track in hot, humid environments without problems.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #28
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
That is an excellent way to explain the difference! I just hope the new ZL1 with the LT4 has learned the lessons of the Z06 and can track in hot, humid environments without problems.
The front lower grille opening that looks like it was designed for a turbojet intake suggests "yes".