Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #43
Irishmic

Drives: 2014
18 coats of wax.....lol.....What's that ...about 750.00 detail job. I have had enought aftah one coat !!!!
Irishmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:18 PM   #44
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmic View Post
18 coats of wax.....lol.....What's that ...about 750.00 detail job. I have had enought aftah one coat !!!!
Lol no detailer would actually do that. It's an absolute waste of time and product.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #45
Irishmic

Drives: 2014
Like they say ..if one coat is good nuff.....18 must be bettah.!!
Irishmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:41 AM   #46
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I have no paint problems with both of my last 2 GM cars. My white '06 Impala was sold after 7 years and 76,000 miles and had no paint chips. My early build summit white '10 Camaro now has over 32,000 miles. I've taken it to South Florida, Canada, Indy, etc. It is also chip free after 4 1/2 years. None on the front, wheel and gill areas- NONE.
Not complaining, it's just strange how so many others have paint problems and I don't.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:05 AM   #47
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
I have no paint problems with both of my last 2 GM cars. My white '06 Impala was sold after 7 years and 76,000 miles and had no paint chips. My early build summit white '10 Camaro now has over 32,000 miles. I've taken it to South Florida, Canada, Indy, etc. It is also chip free after 4 1/2 years. None on the front, wheel and gill areas- NONE.
Not complaining, it's just strange how so many others have paint problems and I don't.
First coat of primer is white. I wonder if that has anything to do with not being able to see the chips?
Old 03-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #48
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Not to mention it's all automated no human interaction, and as far as controlling the dirt as many cars as they push through the booth some cars just get the sticky. It does suck but nothing a quick sand and polish won't fix.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #49
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Nothing like garbage quality from GM. 3-4 years later and my car looks like hell beat it with rocks. The gill area is trashed so bad The car needs a complete paint job. Even my wife asked why is the paint falling off so easy on this car, all I can say is bad quality control. Only 45K miles on it and garage kept. My 02 Trailblazer looks 200 times better and that see winter and daily drives in the truck lanes. Never again will I buy a GM vehicle even if dodge or ford is just as bad, I feel GM has taken enough of my money time to move on. I love my camaro but hate the way they treat its customers.

Dirt popping up from under the paint

Paint chipping off in areas not in line of debris

Stripes peeling off.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #50
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
Nothing like garbage quality from GM. 3-4 years later and my car looks like hell beat it with rocks. The gill area is trashed so bad The car needs a complete paint job. Even my wife asked why is the paint falling off so easy on this car, all I can say is bad quality control. Only 45K miles on it and garage kept. My 02 Trailblazer looks 200 times better and that see winter and daily drives in the truck lanes. Never again will I buy a GM vehicle even if dodge or ford is just as bad, I feel GM has taken enough of my money time to move on. I love my camaro but hate the way they treat its customers.

Dirt popping up from under the paint

Paint chipping off in areas not in line of debris

Stripes peeling off.
I know this won't help the rock chips, but this question is for the non-debris areas where paint is chipping. Did you regularly apply LSPs?
Old 03-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #51
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTruck View Post
I know this won't help the rock chips, but this question is for the non-debris areas where paint is chipping. Did you regularly apply LSPs?
Usually apply Adams machine polish sealant once a year and wax after every wash which is usually 4-6 times a year since car is usually in garage during the week.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #52
JTruck

Quote:
Usually apply Adams machine polish sealant once a year and wax after every wash which is usually 4-6 times a year since car is usually in garage during the week.
First off, just want to make it understood that I'm not talking down or questioning you in a negative matter. (It's hard to interpret tone over the internet, been misunderstood on here one too many times.) I'm just trying to educate myself more.

Adam's says their sealant should be reapplied every season, and waxes usually last around 3 months also depending on the brand.

Did you ever perform iron removal?

I'm questioning this because my previous car(Honda) started to chip and flake around 5 years, and want to make sure this doesn't happen to my camaro.

For the experts on here reading this, do you think the paint chipping he is seeing from inefficient LSP and/or iron removal?
Old 03-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #53
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

I understand what you mean but by comparison I wash my 02Trailblazer usually the same time or a day apart ( I'm old so 1 car at a time) and I don't have the chips appearing on that vehicle. Being I use the same water, soap, wax, and blow dryer wouldn't the same defects appear on my black TB or is it the new paint just flat out sucks?
Old 03-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #54
JTruck

Quote:
I understand what you mean but by comparison I wash my 02Trailblazer usually the same time or a day apart ( I'm old so 1 car at a time) and I don't have the chips appearing on that vehicle. Being I use the same water, soap, wax, and blow dryer wouldn't the same defects appear on my black TB or is it the new paint just flat out sucks?
Good question, although from what I have read, current paint/clear coat systems are pretty advanced compared to just a decade ago.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:48 PM   #55
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTruck View Post
Good question, although from what I have read, current paint/clear coat systems are pretty advanced compared to just a decade ago.
I guess advanced doesn't necessarily mean better.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:22 PM   #56
joe h

Drives: victory red 2010 camaro 2ss/rs
Spent 6,000 repainting gm's design flaws. Was never successful in getting gm to share in any of the costs. Gills had to be repainted, hood, bumper, doors twice. Never again will gm get any of my hard earned money.
joe h is offline   Reply With Quote