Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-26-2018, 09:58 AM   #29
man0steel

Drives: 2016 2LT vert 2.0 R/S A8
Fastball said "It's not a traffic control device"

Yes I know....what I said was "while at a traffic control device i.e. stop sign, light or other device that makes you sit stopped at idle.
man0steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:59 AM   #30
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
I warned my mother yesterday about this for her new Cadillac. I just hope it is in town when it happens.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:02 AM   #31
savage99ss
Im the boss

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS
Lets say the key was nearby outside of the car, and the Camaro was in the driveway. If someone walked up to your car (if unlocked) they would be able to drive it way?
Camaro SS #0785 - 1 of 280 SS's that were pewter, auto, and T-Top - SLP Headers, LM1,Y-pipe, high flow cats, SLP Lid
savage99ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #32
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
I believe the reason for the Keyfob is to make the vehicle difficult to steal. Unless you have specialty tools capable of replicating the transmitter its virtually impossible to drive off with the car.

As for someone walking to your car and cranking it while you're either inside the car or standing near the trunk, I was at one time very concerned about this myself so I did an experiment:

-- I locked the car doors from the inside and positioned myself in the back seat and tried to have a friend use the door handle button to unlock the drivers side door, while I was in possession of the FOB (meaning the FOB was inside the car) -- The door would not unlock or open.

-- I then stood outside near the passenger side door while in possession of the Key Fob and tried to have a friend unlock the drivers side door, once again the drivers side door would not unlock.

-- Finally -- I stayed at the passenger side of the vehicle, outside... and unlocked the car... and let said friend sit inside and had him try to crank the car, while I was outside the car fob near the passenger door... Car would not crank.

The Key Fob has to be inside the vehicle for it to crank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Problem is that could be dangerous. What if you have your key in your garage and you pull out into the road. And suddenly your car shuts off. Hope there's no traffic . . .

My other cars that have this all warn you (beeps) if your key is outside the car - the Camaro doesn't, which I agree is an oversight.
It will PROBABLY only turn itself off if the car is in Park and sitting still, if its in Drive and moving, The driver will probably get alot of warning notifications about the missing key but its unlikely to stall. Auto Manufactures are arrogant and ignorant...but they aren't stupid.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:06 AM   #33
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Hmm, my car will beep at me (couple of beeps) in an odd manner if the car is started and running and the key fob is removed to outside the car. My 2016 did and my 2017 does it.

I keep my stuff on lanyards to keep me straight on having my keys with me - regardless of keyless or key entry.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:09 AM   #34
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
And if the keyfob batteries died while you were driving, you wouldn't want the car to shut down
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:16 AM   #35
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I believe the reason for the Keyfob is to make the vehicle difficult to steal. Unless you have specialty tools capable of replicating the transmitter its virtually impossible to drive off with the car.

As for someone walking to your car and cranking it while you're either inside the car or standing near the trunk, I was at one time very concerned about this myself so I did an experiment:

-- I locked the car doors from the inside and positioned myself in the back seat and tried to have a friend use the door handle button to unlock the drivers side door, while I was in possession of the FOB (meaning the FOB was inside the car) -- The door would not unlock or open.

-- I then stood outside near the passenger side door while in possession of the Key Fob and tried to have a friend unlock the drivers side door, once again the drivers side door would not unlock.

-- Finally -- I stayed at the passenger side of the vehicle, outside... and unlocked the car... and let said friend sit inside and had him try to crank the car, while I was outside the car fob near the passenger door... Car would not crank.

The Key Fob has to be inside the vehicle for it to crank.

It will PROBABLY only turn itself off if the car is in Park and sitting still, if its in Drive and moving, The driver will probably get alot of warning notifications about the missing key but its unlikely to stall. Auto Manufactures are arrogant and ignorant...but they aren't stupid.
This is true.

The car won't even start unless you are basically in the driver seat. You have to be in that proximity. The car won't even start if you are half-way into the driver area. I've tried this, several times, in multiple cars.

Keyless cars aren't stupid - they are sensitive to proximity. The gateway module, typically the BCM, will communicate with the receivers in the vehicle based on your (really, the transmitter; A.K.A. "key fob") position/proximity. There is a reason why, if your key fobs battery is low, and you are having issues starting your car, they say to place the key fob in the cupholder. The cupholder, in the center console, is typically the [most reasonably] closest point to the receiver and module to start the car.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:26 AM   #36
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
My mazdaspeed 3 was the same way - The camaro will give you warnings but its just a couple it should be a constant ding with a message on the screen going off so you know.. I have done this as well went out in the morning started the car with keyfob in hand went back in side got talking to the kids and wife set key down not thinking about it.. Drove to work and when I went to leave I thought I lost my keys spent hours looking for my keys for my wife to bring me my "spare" which wasnt the spare lol... Lesson learned.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:27 AM   #37
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by man0steel View Post
Fastball said "It's not a traffic control device"

Yes I know....what I said was "while at a traffic control device i.e. stop sign, light or other device that makes you sit stopped at idle.
Sorry I missread "aT a" for "aS a".

That's what I get for reading too fast.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #38
94turbolsx

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
I did this in a 2009 Vette. It let me drive all the way to my destination without a fob. Only when I went to turn the car off did the info center say "No Fob detected, keep engine running or shut off? "
Old 07-26-2018, 11:20 AM   #39
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
It will certainly let you know if you leave the fob in the car when you get out and shut the door. What's so hard about a warning if you drive off without the fob? Maybe this is a question for Ask Al. Who's got 3 months

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:30 AM   #40
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
All of the cars I've owned, save for 2, in the last 10 years have had keyless ignition.

It turns out that the cars that required keys won't actually start without them either. This really isn't any different, as the key needs to be in the vehicle to start either way.
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:30 AM   #41
DavidinGA
Tread Marks

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Camaro 2SS
I don't see the problem if you treat the fob just like a real key and always put it in your pocket. If you toss it in the cupholder or a bag in the car etc. you're doing it wrong and setting yourself up for disaster....
DavidinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:34 AM   #42
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
I haven't tested any of this. Today I'll leave the fob outside the car and check that it won't start. Then I'll try driving off without it to see if I get any messages.

When I didn't have keyless, I didn't think it was anything special. Now that I do, I think it's a nice feature.

And, yes, get into the habit of keeping it on you.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote