Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

AWE Tuning

Old 03-19-2018, 03:29 PM   #29
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Busy start to the week! lovin it though.

started off today gone to get some repairs done/maintainence. Stopped by Dorsey Transmissions, ETMX183 from Camaro5 (Huge thanx to him, and all the guys there!) Finally got the diff swap done!

the size in circumference of the axles is pretty decent. I had ETMX snag em for me with calipers I left behind.

Stock V6 axles are 29.53mm on the Driver and 22.59mm on the passenger side.

in comparison,

Stock SS axles are 52.5mm on the Driver side and 30.12 on the passenger side.

finished and after the drive home, dropped off the old diff and axles, and picked up meds for the 13 year old with strep... (Not I didn't have the ports for cooling removed, nor does my model have the aux cooling package. will plug the ports and run as is...maybe one day fab up a stand alone cooling radiator and pump and mount it above the axlebacks)

Some other goodies came today as well. I read a post in the 6th Gen 1LE forum, about upgrading to the 1LE brakes without buying the entire kit for 2500-3000$

So far I've gotten the driver side rotor on ebay for 150$. car only had 3,8XX miles. has some surface rust but rotor is relatively clean, no grooves. Still hunting for the driver side. may just buy a new one at about 320$

Cool thing about the calipers...theres GM part numbers.... AAAAAND theres AC Delco part numbers.

Gmpartsgiant, pace, gmpartsdirect, and most places had the calipers for 384-425$ each.

I looked on rock auto and found the AC Delco Part numbers cross overs....

84063672 comes out to be 172-2741 this is the left side driver caliper.

84063673 comes out toe be 172-2742 this is the right side passenger caliper

at the end of the day its made by the same people, sold by two brands, just two different numbers. even came painted red with the 1LE logo (which will be removed and painted my awful shade of green) and with rock auto's 5% off code, 335$ shipped.

I figured they were gonna be remanufactured and still in a raw silver state...no paint. but nope. all painted and ready to go

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 03-19-2018 at 03:44 PM.
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:03 PM   #30
PolynesianPowerhouse

Talk about restrictions!!

These were playing chatterbox cathy... "gotta go, boss!" -Andre the Giant.
Attached Images

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 04-13-2018, 03:08 PM   #31
PolynesianPowerhouse

Mar 10th

Old 04-25-2018, 08:22 PM   #32
PolynesianPowerhouse

Pads

Old 04-26-2018, 06:11 AM   #33
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Hey PolynesianPowerhouse,

Did that SS diff bolt directly up to the stock driveshaft and mounts?! I've been contemplating this exact mod with an aftermarket driveshaft and was just wondering if all the driveshafts are interchangeable...
I would greatly appreciate any insight you can give on how these parts can interchange (driveshaft, diff, axles)
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:25 AM   #34
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
Hey PolynesianPowerhouse,

Did that SS diff bolt directly up to the stock driveshaft and mounts?! I've been contemplating this exact mod with an aftermarket driveshaft and was just wondering if all the driveshafts are interchangeable...
I would greatly appreciate any insight you can give on how these parts can interchange (driveshaft, diff, axles)
Yes and no...

The mounts are exactly the same. Its just like the 5th gen. You can swap pumpkins all day long.

The pinion flange of the v6 diff will need to be swapped to the ss diff though.

I didnt change the driveshaft out as ours is two piece. On the 5th gen ypu used to have to change the rear end of the driveshaft, which can prob still be done. Then you wouldnt have to change the pinion flange on the diff. But i went the way jacfab did his and just changed the flange.

The driveshafts of the ss fit the v6 stock diff. And the ss diff so axles are interchangeable. Finally got around to verifying.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #35
PolynesianPowerhouse

Last few weeks have been busy more than I imagined. saving up and piecing together all I wanted to upgrade to over the past 8-12 months...now finally all installed. I can legit say I really only have about 3 more things to do to the car and I'm good. some things were a need as in strut and shock replacement (after 50K miles) and I figured since its time to replace worn shocks and struts, might as well upgrade to the 1LE V6 stuff.

Cultrag Performance, specifically Patrick Trageser, has pretty much taken all the calls and did all the research and look up of parts and vin numbers to help me accomplish getting all I needed. also a few on the forums such as Chez, and a few others have posted numbers, which I took screen caps of and saved till it was time to order.

So in summary, the Cradle Lockout from BMR was among the first to get installed. a local friend and in the Camaro group named Stephen was a life saver by far in helping me, and honestly, TEACHING me about car safety, limits, and working on jackstands. we had a guy at work, who was crushed by a car at home doing sidework. since then, if I had to get under the car, it went to a shop. Getting some of the confidence back working with Stephen has helped...now need to upgrade the 2 ton jack stands I have to some 4 ton ones

2 weeks later it was the toe rods, and Diff Lockout from BMR. the toe rods are ridiculously easy to install. the diff lockout is also easy, but on jack stands just a bit more tedious. it can be done, and even with my size and the help from Stephen, its not a "never doing that again" type job.

And then at the start of this week, I went ahead and swapped out all the V6 FE2 stuff for the V6 1LE setup. and then got the alignment done yesterday. The rear shocks I did about 2-3 weeks ago when the cradle lockout went in. so only the fronts and the link went in at the start of this week. the Moreno Motorsports camber plates are also atop of the setup and offer leaps of adjustability. I was able to get 1.5 degrees of negative camber just with the stock setup. no cutting or drilling. I haven't even touched the camber plate adjustment.

Overall, I can say this time around the suspension journey was fruitful. you cant order a 1LE with an auto, and honest, I am far past all the debate of auto vs manual. I think I was over that one around 2 or 2.5 decades ago really. so since then, I've always strived to build EXACTLY the car I wanted. not the car OTHERS wanted. there's no point in modding a car and not getting what you want out of it, or mod it JUST to take steps backwards to where you have to add more and more down the road to get it where it should be from the start.

So now, the next few goals are the Overkill Ported Intake Manifold and 80mm TB, a dedicated set of Apex Track Only wheels and Tires (Falken 615's, Bridgestone Re71r's, or something comparable. Then finally install the 1LE 6 piston setup, which has now collected dust sitting right behind me. Another collection of pieces that I've pieced together over the 8-12 month period for quite a bit less listed online as a full kit.

With this set of mod, I can say the driving dynamic and the handling has improved hand over fist. everything is stiff, but not to the point of being a cheap feeling of stiff like old cheap eBay coilovers from the late 90's. but more in control and FAR less of a floating feeling. For those that may not understand the floating feeling. a few hard AutoX events or some SERIOUS hard driving in the heat, and you will understand the limits of the FE2 bushings. this is why the V6 1LE comes stock with upgraded cradle bushings from the FE3 package, toe rods, front link, and shocks and springs. those alone will give you a completely different driving car than a regular LT (1 or 2) off the lot. the RS package is merely wheels and lights more or less and some trim. the 1LE package is the beginning of "Okay, we came here to play" as far as performance goes in my view.

with the diff lockout and the cradle bushings you get more of a push feeling during accelerating and more of a go kart feeling when turning the wheel. I still have the sway bars at medium up from and soft in the rear. by default this is a more understeer setup, and it was ok for the winter and the softer bushings. However, now you can def feel the understeer more so, and there will be a change pretty soon.

among the MANY to thank, Stephen a local friend and auto enthusiast for reinstalling the passion for working on cars after working with em all day at work, Patrick of Cultrag Performance for almost anything and everything I've gotten OEM, JDP Motorsports, Phastek's Ricardo, BMR, Steve at RDP for the cradle lockout. Theres a few more projects I've done in the meanwhile of doing all of this and people like Jason JacFab Andrest, Kenny Camaro, Tracy Lewis, Will Rishworth, any many more have helped get the car in order for this year. Def appreciate the guidance and advice given

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 05-10-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:38 AM   #36
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Thanks for the reply on those rear end parts, gives me something to go on.
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote