Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-19-2015, 02:43 PM   #15
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Camaro had a 4 Cylinder before in earlier years. And beside the 4 cylinder is putting out almost as much HP as a 77 Trans AM.
I don't think it ever did, but the Mustang did in it's puny years.

That's ok tho, this V4 Camaro is going to be eating well

[edit] Nope, you're correct, it did in 82... Check out that 0-60 time

Quote:
There was a time when 90 horsepower was a lot, and that time was 1932. Fifty years later, it was bupkis, especially under the hood of Chevy's beloved Mustang-fighter, the Camaro. As the base engine for the redesigned 1982 Camaro (and Pontiac Firebird), the 2.5-liter, four-cylinder "Iron Duke" was the smallest, least powerful, most un-Camaro-like engine that could be and, like the California Corvette, it was connected to a low-tech three-speed slushbox. So equipped, the Iron Duke Camaro had 0-60 mph acceleration of around 20 seconds, which left Camaro owners to drum their fingers while school buses rocketed past in a blur of yellow.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:43 PM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjonny View Post
Still weighing my options between a this, a Mustang or BRZ. If I don't get the v8, I'll be getting this turbo 4. The tuning potential of this thing is going to be huge. This is the same 2.0 from the Astra VXR, right?
No, its the 2.0 from the ATS, CTS, Regal, and Opel Insignia (not 100% on the last one).

The Astra VXR uses an engine from an older generation of 4 cylinders.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:46 PM   #17
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
I don't think it ever did, but the Mustang did in it's puny years.

That's ok tho, this V4 Camaro is going to be eating well
Yeah, those turbo 4's in the '84-'86 SVO Mustangs were puny. But they sure could put a hurting on the 305 V8 offered in the Camaro those same years.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:53 PM   #18
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
OMG i coulda sworn i read somewhere that wasn't going to happen guess someone lied to us... I get the whole CAFE standards they need to abide by now but holy crap i mean really i like alot about the 6th Gen aside from that 4 cylinder option and the ball drop on the tailights yet again. That and it literally took a page from mustang and got more euro looking in a few areas.
Nobody lied. You had people in denial who derived facts from their own conclusions.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:12 PM   #19
Bassment

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
ATS didn't have the A8 available. That usually knocks a solid 2-5 tenths off 0-60.

Also take note the Ecoboost is out selling the V6 Mustang significantly by all accounts. Times are changing.
This is mainly because the base mustang is the V6 and it has basically no features you can add, you can't even get leather seats with the V6. Plus their V6 is worse than their T4, this is not the case with the Camaro.
Bassment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:18 PM   #20
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
I thought there was an "unofficial" gripes thread...se we don't get a ton of whiner threads?
Old 05-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #21
benanderson89

Drives: Kia GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
No, its the 2.0 from the ATS, CTS, Regal, and Opel Insignia (not 100% on the last one).

Its essentially the same engine, just slightly newer, both from the EcoTech family. Same HP/TQ numbers as well.

That little engine from the factory in the Astra Extreme can push 300hp. The i4 is going to be ****ven. I'd definitely get it over the V6 and add a chip.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #22
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
This is mainly because the base mustang is the V6 and it has basically no features you can add, you can't even get leather seats with the V6. Plus their V6 is worse than their T4, this is not the case with the Camaro.
Yep so Ford can drop it from the lineup a year or so from now.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #23
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavies11 View Post
Who's forcing you to buy the 4 cylinder?
Seriously??? Who gives a crap??
Old 05-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #24
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
Personally, I would have a problem with it if GM had adopted Ford's approach with the Mustang (i.e., pushing the 4 cylinder and discouraging buyers of the V6 by limiting the options/packages available with it). A lot of Mustang people believe that it's only a matter of time before F ditches the V6 completely.

GM is not taking Ford's approach, though. The Camaro V6 is alive and well... and upgraded.
THIS
Old 05-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #25
airjonny

Drives: Nissan Murano
Quote:

Thanks. I was wondering because I've seen some VXR's put out some serious power with some bolt ons and a tune.
airjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #26
Bassment

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS M6
Everyone saying they'll choose a T4 over a V6 and mod it out, why not just get a V6 and turbo it? Is it just because it's a lot more expensive to turbo than it is to add some bolt-ons?
Bassment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #27
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
Everyone saying they'll choose a T4 over a V6 and mod it out, why not just get a V6 and turbo it? Is it just because it's a lot more expensive to turbo than it is to add some bolt-ons?
turbo cars from the factory normally have stronger internals. so just tuning and cranking up the boost can net you a lot of HP/TQ. if you turbo a NA v6, you have to worry about internals and upgrading those parts as well. it's just easier and cheaper to mod a factory turbo'd car.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:54 PM   #28
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
And I would REALLY like to see what 'euro' cars that are inspiring the style of the Camaro and Mustang. Because to me, a Ferrari looks different from a Lambo which looks different from a BMW which looks different from a Volvo which looks different from a VW which looks different from an Alpha which looks different from an Audi which looks different from a Mercedes which looks different from a Fiat which looks different from a Mini which looks different from an Aston Martin which looks different from a Smart which looks different from a Bently which looks different from a Rolls Royce which looks different from a .... well, I think you get the idea. There is no such thing as a singular 'euro' style.

Park a New Mustang next to a newer Porsche walk around to the back and you'll get atleast an idea of what i'm talking about. I agree with you that euro isn't all 1-style but there's a general line idea of euro and american muscle car and that line is getting thinner. Was really hoping for the LF3 in the V6 lol.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote