Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-22-2015, 08:53 AM   #71
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I just don't understand the problem people have with this.

On the T4 engine, its not like they have a V-8 recorded soundtrack that is playing though the speakers. They are filtering the natural engine noise and making it sound more pleasant on the inside of the car. Basically its like auto-tune haha. I don't see why that is a bad thing?

The 6 and 8 Models with the sound directed into the cabin? Thats because cars are better now, they are quieter on the inside. They know that the sound is important part of the enthusiast experience so they derived a way to still get that sound on the inside of the car, while still keeping the car quiet on the inside.

Again why is this bad?

I had a nice post written - but yours was better, so I scrapped it. I agree 100%.

Frankly, I think it's kinda cool.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #72
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

I had a nice post written - but yours was better, so I scrapped it. I agree 100%.

Frankly, I think it's kinda cool.
Thank you

I would be upset if it was a totally fake soundtrack that was played through the speakers, but if its just filtering the noise on the t4 and making it better I have no problem with that.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:53 AM   #73
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
I just don't understand the problem people have with this.

On the T4 engine, its not like they have a V-8 recorded soundtrack that is playing though the speakers. They are filtering the natural engine noise and making it sound more pleasant on the inside of the car. Basically its like auto-tune haha. I don't see why that is a bad thing?

The 6 and 8 Models with the sound directed into the cabin? Thats because cars are better now, they are quieter on the inside. They know that the sound is important part of the enthusiast experience so they derived a way to still get that sound on the inside of the car, while still keeping the car quiet on the inside.

Again why is this bad?
I think people are thinking the 2.0T's sound enhancement is like the EcoBoost Mustang's that plays pre-recorded audio notes depending on the engine speed. Not 100% sure but I think all the Camaro does is play the natural engine noise through the interior speakers.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:32 AM   #74
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
I think people are thinking the 2.0T's sound enhancement is like the EcoBoost Mustang's that plays pre-recorded audio notes depending on the engine speed. Not 100% sure but I think all the Camaro does is play the natural engine noise through the interior speakers.
I thought the Mustang's ecoboost sound enhancement did the same like the camaros will? just enhance the sound thats already there?

EDIT

Seems like it does a bit of both on the Mustang

autoblog spoke with Ford engineer Shawn Carney who confirmed that only the turbocharged four-cylinder Mustang comes with this system, called Active Noise Control.In fact, Carney is partially responsible for tuning and shaping the EcoBoost's note in the Mustang, and he said the setup serves two distinct functions. First, it cancels out some of the coarse noise as part of the 'Stang's refinement strategy.
It also allows Ford to enhance things by "layering in certain sound characteristics on top of what's already there," he said. To determine the right mix, the engine processor monitors torque output and changes things accordingly. "The intent is to be a natural experience," said Carney.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #75
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
I thought the Mustang's ecoboost sound enhancement did the same like the camaros will? just enhance the sound thats already there?

EDIT

Seems like it does a bit of both on the Mustang

autoblog spoke with Ford engineer Shawn Carney who confirmed that only the turbocharged four-cylinder Mustang comes with this system, called Active Noise Control.In fact, Carney is partially responsible for tuning and shaping the EcoBoost's note in the Mustang, and he said the setup serves two distinct functions. First, it cancels out some of the coarse noise as part of the 'Stang's refinement strategy.
It also allows Ford to enhance things by "layering in certain sound characteristics on top of what's already there," he said. To determine the right mix, the engine processor monitors torque output and changes things accordingly. "The intent is to be a natural experience," said Carney.
This is what Mustang does:

I'm not sure if Camaro does the same. From what it sounds like GM's saying, it just plays the engine noise through the speakers without any of this tuning.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #76
shaffe

Interesting, also found this online regarding the mustang one

"With the Ecoboost engine we have both active noise cancellation, and we also amplify the existing engine sound order. We don't create an artificial sound, we don't pluck one off the shelf, we bring in the real sound, process it, and play it through the car's speakers. "
Old 05-22-2015, 10:47 AM   #77

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
The Washington Post reported that engine noise in many new car models, including the 2015 Ford Mustang, is not the real thing. Photo by Flickr user amateur photography by michel

Arguably, one of the best parts about driving a car is putting your foot on the gas and hearing that engine purr ever so sweetly. Well, that rumble may be gone forever — or at least replaced with a shallow, mechanical one.
That’s right, if you’ve bought a car within the last few years, chances are you’re not actually hearing your engine growl, but instead a recording of it.
The Washington Post broke the secret earlier this week, reporting that the noise coming from under the hood of some of your favorite cars, such as the Ford Mustang or Volkswagen Beetle, is not the actual engine but a synthetic recording of what it’s supposed to sound like.
Auto manufacturers including BMW, Volkswagen, Toyota, Porsche and Ford are all in on the deception, working hard to make sure the synthesized versions truly sound like the old car engines. Ford even polled their consumers on which sounds to implement, the Post reported:
For the 2015 Mustang EcoBoost, Ford sound engineers and developers worked on an “Active Noise Control” system that amplifies the engine’s purr through the car speakers. Afterward, the automaker surveyed members of Mustang fan clubs on which processed “sound concepts” they most enjoyed.
The article also describes how Volkswagen recreates engine noise:
Volkswagen uses what’s called a “Soundaktor,” a special speaker that looks like a hockey puck and plays sound files in cars such as the GTI and Beetle Turbo. Lexus worked with sound technicians at Yamaha to more loudly amplify the noise of its LFA supercar toward the driver seat.
This little trick is becoming the norm now, because of the more fuel efficient and advanced engines used in current automobile models. Without these little noise boxes spilling through our speakers, the car would be quiet — a little too quiet, perhaps. Automakers worry that potential buyers would view the quieter vehicles as less powerful and walk away.
Bad news for anybody who isn’t thrilled with this revelation: it looks like this illusion may be here to stay. Without the rumble, the Post writes, Federal safety officials fear the quiet, non-existent sounds of the engine could catch “inattentive pedestrians and the blind” by surprise. Mandates are expected to be finalized later this year requiring all hybrid and electric cars to fake engine sounds in order to prevent this danger.
Next time you rev the engine in your hot new ride, remember it may not be all it that it’s pretending to be.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #78

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I don't think Ford (or Chevy now) use the sound tracks/sound files like some do....

A fine line perhaps, but the enhanced, amplified sound coming through the speakers is arguably not totally faked.....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:21 PM   #79
Autonaut

Drives: El camino
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I don't think Ford (or Chevy now) use the sound tracks/sound files like some do....

A fine line perhaps, but the enhanced, amplified sound coming through the speakers is arguably not totally faked.....
It is. Look the definition of fake up. That's EXACTLY what it is. You'd have to be stupid, a blind fanboy or turning the other cheek to not realize this is exactly what it is.

Think about it for a second. They use "sound cancellation" to get rid of unwanted noise and "process" the rest.
Tell me, what exactly do you think "processing" does?

The PLAY a soundtrack through the speakers that is different from the sounds the engine makes.

That's fake engine/exhaust.

Sure, marketing department would line to tell(sell) you otherwise.

It reallt pissed me off people are this stupid. I could understand the bmw owners accepting it, as their mostly posers. But chevy and ford owners? I cant believe you are really this stupid.

If the noises wasnt fake why does the car spund different with the system turned off? Even with the windows down.
Autonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:24 PM   #80
Autonaut

Drives: El camino
Just because they used sounds from a turbo four to GENERATE different notes off that doesnt change the fact that it's as fake as it will ever be..
Autonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:27 PM   #81
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Isn't part of hearing your engine's sound being able to hear if something doesn't sound right?

If that is covered up by a prerecording, then you may end up with unnoticed problems?
Old 05-22-2015, 01:28 PM   #82
NJScorpio

If it is prerecorded sound, and not sound that is being generated from your engine, then it is not the sound of your engine. It is fake in the same way someone like Madonna goes on stage and lip syncs to prerecordings she made 20 years ago.

If it is truly an amplification of the existing engine noise through your speakers...then logic would dictate you'd have to have a MICROPHONE under your hood...then it isn't fake. Is there a microphone?
Old 05-22-2015, 01:36 PM   #83
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Old 05-22-2015, 01:38 PM   #84
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
But....HOW would it create digital audio, to amplify, from the noise the engine is creating live?

If they can indicate how, such as a microphone, then we know it's just amplified but legitimate sounds.