Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #141

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
...Just up-grade the convertible top to include removable panels for the T-Top experience...problem solved....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #142
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage99ss View Post
It seems to me a targa top would allow even less structure, I just dont see how t-tops and targa top do not fall within the same guidelines.
Yes a convertible and targa do offer less structure and it is why they are classified differently.

Again a T-top and sun roof are essentially equal by definition. And the test methods, which I've shared, clearly show why a T-top is harder to get to pass than a sun roof.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #143
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage99ss View Post
It seems to me a targa top would allow even less structure, I just dont see how t-tops and targa top do not fall within the same guidelines.
Because a targa is classified as a convertible and therefore "only" has to meet convertible safety specs. T-tops aren't; t-tops are classified as a coupe and therefore have to meet coupe safety specs. Solution: get a vehicle with t-tops to be classified as a convertible.
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:01 AM   #144
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
My Son had two 4th gens with T-Tops, they were OK but it was nowhere near the open air experience like a Convertible does....seemed closer to a sunroof than a convertible.
One thing is you almost get 360 degrees of visibility in the convertible with the top down... You don't get that with T-tops... I guess to me the only advantage with T-tops is you might get less wind buffeting.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #145
savage99ss
Im the boss

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgnxs View Post
Because a targa is classified as a convertible and therefore "only" has to meet convertible safety specs. T-tops aren't; t-tops are classified as a coupe and therefore have to meet coupe safety specs. Solution: get a vehicle with t-tops to be classified as a convertible.
That would make sense. The only difference between the targa and t-tops is the bar in-between and the two tops instead of one solid top.
Camaro SS #0785 - 1 of 280 SS's that were pewter, auto, and T-Top - SLP Headers, LM1,Y-pipe, high flow cats, SLP Lid
savage99ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:00 PM   #146
bobby97z

Drives: 06 Civic (not for long) Retired 97z
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardailsmith View Post
I have a 300zx with T-tops and I love it but I would not want a 370z with them. I also have a 5th Gen and I don't want them on that either. However if I did want T-tops on my 5th gen, Instead of complaining that GM did not give me the option. I would go and get them done aftermarket.

Why should I make everyone cary the cost for something that most Camaro owners don't want.

The 2016 Camaro I wanted has everything that is in the 2SS package with the exception of the LT1. I wanted the LF4, will I see that in a Camaro? Probably not, but if I want to see a TTV6 in the 6th Gen I will have to do it myself.

I could spend hours going on about how GM could do this, (it has a better chance than T-tops of happening). But I won't because it is not going to happen. So instead of getting upset about it and being defensive when it is pointed out that it's not going to happen.

Just let it go. (Don't make me sing it.)

But if you can't let it go and enuff of you aftermarket T-tops maybe GM will say "wow! they were right we should build it". Just like these guys did with the T/A.

I know GM did not go and resurrect the T/A but at least the guys that built this are not pinning away at not having a T/A they are driving a T/A.

Wow that looks awesome!!! I wonder if that aftermarket package will be available for 2016. Probably to early, but haven't seen that before. Any idea on price?? Or know anyone who has had it done? I wonder if performance is affected? Sorry rambling and off topic. But looked cool!!
Bobby
bobby97z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:03 PM   #147
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Why is this discussion still even going?
We know the 6th Gen WILL NOT have T-tops.
We know WHY it will not have T-tops.
And, based off if Fbodfather's info, we will likely NEVER get T-tops, again.
I miss them too, but some things are better left behind. As if we really have a choice anyway.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #148
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserO2Evils View Post
Why is this discussion still even going?
We know the 6th Gen WILL NOT have T-tops.
We know WHY it will not have T-tops.
And, based off if Fbodfather's info, we will likely NEVER get T-tops, again.
I miss them too, but some things are better left behind. As if we really have a choice anyway.
Because...

RACECAR

I hear you though - horse been beaten plenty o times.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #149
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Or, we somehow need to convince GM to release a camaro with a 3 panel removable roof. You can leave the middle panel in for the t-top look (provided the middle panel is shaped that way), it'll be classified as a convertible so it'll only have to meet those safety requirements, and you could remove the whole roof for the targa look if you wanted to do that. Three panels would mean one person could remove it by themselves, but you would (probably) have to leave the panels, so maybe have some kind of snap in cloth cover to take with you if it starts to rain. That's the best I can come up with.
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #150
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby97z View Post
Wow that looks awesome!!! I wonder if that aftermarket package will be available for 2016. Probably to early, but haven't seen that before. Any idea on price?? Or know anyone who has had it done? I wonder if performance is affected? Sorry rambling and off topic. But looked cool!!
Bobby

That will not be available from the factory. That car was a complete custom job.

There are aftermarket places all over you can take your car to that will hack up your roof and give you t-tops if you really want them. But it will not be available from GM.

You may want to read the entire thread. That's what we've been talking about.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:22 PM   #151
bobby97z

Drives: 06 Civic (not for long) Retired 97z
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
That will not be available from the factory. That car was a complete custom job.

There are aftermarket places all over you can take your car to that will hack up your roof and give you t-tops if you really want them. But it will not be available from GM.

You may want to read the entire thread. That's what we've been talking about.
Yes. I've read. Maybe misunderstood. Being available from T/ZA aftermarket package. Has anyone had it done? Quality? I found the price for 5th gen.
http://ztafirebird.com/zta-firebird-...rans-am-camaro
bobby97z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:53 PM   #152
ardailsmith

Drives: 2012 2LT LFX A6 RS Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby97z View Post
Bobby
Here is a link to the Trans Am Depot. http://www.transamdepot.com/
They also built a GTO version

https://youtu.be/R-iMnsOPPNI