Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-07-2024, 08:21 PM   #43
weekend_cruiser

Drives: 23' 2SS 1LE M6;19' Sierra 1500 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
I think the easiest way to implement this would be snagging an ECU from a junkyard, doesn't have to be from a Camaro either, could be a Chevy Spark, just something that gets power and communicates. I wouldn't try to reinvent the wheel or anything. The dummy ECU will have a ton of errors since it won't be connected to anything, but will communicate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
Now this is a fun idea... leaving the thief with the impression "this vehicle is a mess, better find another one to steal!"
Hahaha. Here is to hoping the bad guys have not been keeping up with this thread.
weekend_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:27 PM   #44
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Because I don't want to post what fuse number that is (assuming I'm interpreting ALLDATA and other obvious reference material correctly), could it be as easy a installing a switched fuse bypass, for example?:

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-71-7cm...dp/B0CJCCYL2S/

Or am I missing something? I would consider extending this harness to a more convenient/hidden location within the passenger compartment, but am I out of line thinking this could be a possible alternative, too? I'd rather not chop-up the data link connector harness, and because I have gauges/and tune through it, it would, in the least, have to be switchable, so I'm contemplating a less invasive alternative, or adding an additional layer of deterrence to either of these alternatives.

Thoughts or comments?...
That is a pretty easy way to remotely control a fused circuit. It's also an easy thing to bypass if a thief simply looks in the trunk fuse box. If I relied on this for security, I would add security fasteners to the fuse box cover and/or false floor.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:43 PM   #45
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend_cruiser View Post
Hahaha. Here is to hoping the bad guys have not been keeping up with this thread.
If they are, that's fine also. The only way it gets better is if it gets harder to steal cars. And the more ideas out there and the more options people have, the better.

If an OBD doesn't work, and we have a dozen different ways to make that happen, thieves will just move on and not risk being out there going through the list.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 06:11 PM   #46
MyNameIs

Drives: Camaro SS
Steering lock bar is a good deterrent. They see that most peeps will move on to another car without the bar.
MyNameIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 02:01 PM   #47
Winnie

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
So I've been following this thread and want to do some things to prevent theft. I've ordered the OBD2 replacement plug, and going to reroute the real one some place inconvinient. Curious about the fuse for the data link connector. I'm not sure what all runs off that, is it just the OBD2 plug? I want to just pull it and then plug in the OBD2 tester and see if it is dead. I'm a little nervous as I don't want to damage anything. If this worked I would just plug in a blown fuse here. Any thoughts or advice welcome. TIA. Wanted to add I did get the faraday fob pouches that work great.

Last edited by Winnie; 03-12-2024 at 02:41 PM. Reason: more info
Winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 04:41 PM   #48
LT1gen6

Drives: '22 LT1 Coupe
It would be cool if someone produced a self-powered dummy OBD 2 port that would indicate connected status when a device was plugged in, but offer zero functionality. It would not be connected to any wiring from the car. Maybe it could be powered by a lithium ion battery. That battery would connect with a proper looking wire harness that passes cursory visual inspection. The original OBD would be relocated.
LT1gen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 05:56 PM   #49
Winnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1gen6 View Post
It would be cool if someone produced a self-powered dummy OBD 2 port that would indicate connected status when a device was plugged in, but offer zero functionality. It would not be connected to any wiring from the car. Maybe it could be powered by a lithium ion battery. That battery would connect with a proper looking wire harness that passes cursory visual inspection. The original OBD would be relocated.
That's a great idea.

I removed the fuse for the data link connector then checked at obd2 port. Was'nt any power to it. And no codes either. I just need to get some more fuses, fry one and use as a replacement. For me, I'll be happy with this set-up.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:02 PM   #50
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
According to the below post...they do make self-powered scan tools.
See this: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...621494&page=19
Old 03-12-2024, 07:18 PM   #51
DamonZ28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
So I've been following this thread and want to do some things to prevent theft. I've ordered the OBD2 replacement plug, and going to reroute the real one some place inconvinient. Curious about the fuse for the data link connector. I'm not sure what all runs off that, is it just the OBD2 plug? I want to just pull it and then plug in the OBD2 tester and see if it is dead. I'm a little nervous as I don't want to damage anything. If this worked I would just plug in a blown fuse here. Any thoughts or advice welcome. TIA. Wanted to add I did get the faraday fob pouches that work great.
I've already checked into this. I guess I posted in a different thread. I pulled the data link connector fuse and confirmed that there was no power. However, I contact my cousin, who runs a high school shop class that would rival many high tech shops. He has a number of powered scan tools that would be able to connect to the car, even if the OBD fuse is pulled. So unfortunately I don't think pulling the fuse will help, if the thieves are using a powered device.
RUXIFEY Smoked LED Side Marker Lights / Black SS emblem on rear bumper / Blue SS vinyl overlay on front bumper emblem / Wildhammer Rear Dark Reflectors / Trim Illusion Gloss Black Door Handle Covers / eBay Black Fuel Door / Screaming Chicken Fender Hash Marks / Color-Matched G2 Caliper Paint
RE Audio RFX10D4 10" Sub / Hand-made sub enclosure / Hifonics Zeus ZRX1200.1D amp / JL Audio LoC-22 line output converter / Sub Thump Plug N Play T-Harness With ANC Defeat Harness Kit

My Camaro Journal
DamonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 08:03 PM   #52
koolkat68

Drives: 2022 Vivid Orange Metallic LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
The pins listed are not correct. Here is the correct pin I ordered from Digi-Key.
Attached Images

koolkat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 10:01 PM   #53
Winnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonZ28 View Post
I've already checked into this. I guess I posted in a different thread. I pulled the data link connector fuse and confirmed that there was no power. However, I contact my cousin, who runs a high school shop class that would rival many high tech shops. He has a number of powered scan tools that would be able to connect to the car, even if the OBD fuse is pulled. So unfortunately I don't think pulling the fuse will help, if the thieves are using a powered device.
Yes, thank you, I think you had posted the idea, but for the life of me I couldn't find it.(So that is where I got the idea to explore that option.) I guess it's ok for there to be no power at the port, because I will be using other roadblocks too. Thank you for your help.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:08 PM   #54
Winnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkat68 View Post
The pins listed are not correct. Here is the correct pin I ordered from Digi-Key.
Thank you for posting this. I had trouble with the other pins as well. They would not plug together with obd2 connector. I'm still working on it. I'll get some of these pins. I appreciate your help.
Old 03-13-2024, 06:45 PM   #55
cam6

Drives: 2019 LT1
What if you just ground the data bus?
cam6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:10 PM   #56
Buellrider

Drives: 2023 1SS 1LE
Some great ideas in this thread. I have some questions…The vehicle will only allow eight RKE transmitters to be programmed to the vehicle. I am curious if the thieves process also overrides this? Can they make infinite keys or would they be stopped if the actual owner maxed out the RKE transmitters at 8?
Buellrider is offline   Reply With Quote