Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-25-2015, 08:24 PM   #57
LS3 Handler
I love the LS3

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS Manual
I had a similar incident in my current Camaro. I was doing a high speed run and by pushing my shifter to hard i managed to almost go from 4th to reverse luckily either i didnt push hard enough or the tranny blocked me. When i dropped the clutch it just grinded a bit but could have been worse.
LS3 Handler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:51 PM   #58
Pushrod Pete

Drives: Camaro 1LE
damn that sucks.

ps I love watching your races, Damian. Dope 1LE.
Pushrod Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:56 PM   #59
spotticus

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
AFIK there is a solenoid lockout on reverse when you are moving >~5MPH forward. No grinding, just locked out. Unless you have mods to disable that.
Ayup, I gotta say, for my first month or so driving my car I was terrified every time I'd shift into 5th.

Yay for the car being smarter than me...
spotticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:02 PM   #60
Hetfield03

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Black/IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRED View Post
You guys that drive trucks, have you ever tried floating gears in the Camaro? I drive all kinds of trucks, every current American brand and even an old American General tractor. Even with all that experience I've never tried to float gears on purpose. I have tried it on accident after a long haul lol

Sorry to hijack the thread. To bring it back on topic... OP what did you replace your pushrods with
Ha. Would never try.
ZL1 Factory Reproduction Wheels, Airaid CAI, MRT V 2.0 Axle Back Installed by PIE Customs, Painted IOM Rally Stripes, Bowties by Danny Taylor Louisville KY, IOM Engine Cover and Fusebox Cover by River City Creations and Lighting San Antonio TX.
Hetfield03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:26 AM   #61
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2021 Mazda MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
AFIK there is a solenoid lockout on reverse when you are moving >~5MPH forward. No grinding, just locked out. Unless you have mods to disable that.
I believe the stock tune is set to under 2 MPH.

2018 1SS 1LE, HyperBlue Metallic (Sold)
2014 1SS 1LE, Black, Twin Turbo (Sold)
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #62
damian559

Drives: 2015 1SS, 1LE, Recaro, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushrod Pete View Post
damn that sucks.

ps I love watching your races, Damian. Dope 1LE.
Thank you! I've been trying to post at least one video a week to my Youtube channel.
12.1 @ 117 (Motor)
11.7 @ 129 (Nitrous)
Nitrous Outlet Single Nozzle Kit | Stand Alone Fuel Cell w/ C16 | Custom Grind Cam | Stainless Power 1 7/8 LT Headers | CAI Intake | ATI Super Damper | BMR Trailing Arms & Toe Links | Prothane Polyurethane Sub-frame Bushings | JDP Upper Control Arm Bushings | MT Drag Radials | Tuned by SS Motorsports
Youtube Channel:
Click Here
damian559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #63
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian559 View Post
It's alright, shit happens to everyone. It could've been worse. My shop got it done for me in 2 days which is great.
Have you floored it yet since you had it back?
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:19 AM   #64
CRISSIS

Drives: '14 ZL1 'Vert - Black, #742
Quick question - when this happened did you instantly know something was wrong? Did it throw a CEL and start running rough?
CRISSIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:49 AM   #65
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
I thought the computer disabled things such as this from happening?
An electronic computer cannot block a mechanical forced downshift.

That sucks OP, but good thing you had the funds lying around to fix!
Old 07-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #66
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Did something very sisilar in my Z06 3 days ago. Went from 5th to 2nd (by mistake) at 65 ish. Nothing happened but it did get my attention.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:57 PM   #67
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
It will get more than your attention..... it will get you buying a new engine if its revved to high and you do not check for damage to things as I know ....... If I could have turned back time....and checked the pushrods then replaced them all...along with the springs...... AT least you were in second....lol thats more in range of the gears possibilities than a 5 to 1 at 70....... for a few seconds when braking and avoiding a accident while loosing traction..... then have it appear with symptoms months later and wondering.Misfire#2 WTF? ... Like a minor ticking like a leaky exhaust that's really the first spring broke.... And reason #1 I am getting the MGW shifter installed with my engine...mistakes suck but sometimes lead to even better, its just paying for it that really sucks. I know I am still waiting for a corvette to get off a rack so I can get my engine in......
Old 07-25-2015, 10:03 PM   #68
richard200593

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRED View Post
f guys that drive trucks, have you ever tried floating gears in the Camaro? I drive all kinds of trucks, every current American brand and even an old American General tractor. Even with all that experience I've never tried to float gears on purpose. I have tried it on accident after a long haul lol

Sorry to hijack the thread. To bring it back on topic... OP what did you replace your pushrods with
Yes I have done it Many times in my camaro once or twice just to prove the point that it can be done to non believers. Floating up is pretty easy down can be tricky, just very light pressure and let it fall into place when it wants to. Which is usually at a very low rpm.
Zl1 factory Reproduction wheels
Bmr 1.2/1.4 springs/Oracle plasma drl lights, footwell ambient lighting, 45th Gobo lights
*Audio:
Memphis pr600 amp/Fosgate 12" t0 sub/******** stealth box
richard200593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:00 AM   #69
Camarotobeornottobe

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
Damn, glad I never did that. Wasn't it hard to get it into 2nd gear?
This is what I keep asking on these threads. At higher speeds, it takes much more force to get your tranny to gear down into 2nd. The driver should intuitively know it doesn't feel like 4th when he/she makes the shift, as a 5th to 4th should require far less pressure.
Camarotobeornottobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:32 AM   #70
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
well actually it was pretty damn easy to do a 5 to 1 a lot easier than the 5-3 it did not want to let me into and I know 5 to 5 wasn't working, so this use the force deal some like to claim...... is like to me saying it take more force to push a big button compared to a little button, trust me it did not really take any more force I could feel as I was busy breaking, looking at traffic, repeatedly trying third then crappola riding the wave out of troubles way while mild fishtail at real high speed and noting it on the DIC. So for a non believer just try..... going down the road at whatever speed and see if you cannot fairly easily with the clutch in run through the gears...... does the shifter return to the 3-4 gate as it should.... I for one wished as in some sports cars there were external gate paths you could clearly see so you know before....not after staring at a leather boot. But that would just make the car safer.....like say a 65 Cobra.... its not always new tech that helps, its common sense, and in a split second you do what you gotta do and that's why I am going with a new shifter, and the thing is this will happen to others..... And thats the fact jack...... its not pretty as the truth can be ugly, I sure would have rather glanced at clearly marked gates on the shifter base than hunted and missed shifted. And it was not the fist time it did not like going into third just that missing it once is all it took, and time was of the essence . Hopefully I can see the rev counter in the ECU to see how long and at how high I went with hp at my tuners, I think it must have one that shows how many cycles of the engine at what rpm it went over I know other vehicles have them....