Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
Top~Dog

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Thoughts on Wheel Sealant

Ok - so, got the sweet wheels (2014 2SS 1LE - Black Wheels) all cleaned up, so, wanted to know if anyone has used a sealant/wax SPECIFICALLY designed or called a "Wheel Sealant"??

I've heard many on this forum who are very knowledgeable on detailing topics, but I have not seen anything specifically related to wheel sealants. If it's really no better than any type of spray sealant/wax...then I'd probably just go with either of those, depending on cost.

I like and rely on what a lot of the smart guys (CamaroDreams07, ihaveacamaro - nice video's) say...makes it easier for me and I don't have to spend so much time doing research!

So, any input is greatly appreciated...thanks.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE

I've used regular sealant on my wheels but was wondering the same thing... is wheel sealant different or just marketing.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
SSteven

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
I looked into this a while back because I was thinking of just putting wax on them. I ended up getting Poorboys Wheel Sealant. Its this pink goop that puts a protective layer down. It won't keep brake dust or dirt off your wheels, but instead makes it easier to wipe off with a cloth. Like most protectants it doesn't require you to reapply it regularly.

Previous Camaro (sold 11/2015): 2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
Replaced with 2013 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1

This has done wonders for my wheel cleaning.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietuna View Post

This has done wonders for my wheel cleaning.
Nice
Old 11-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
Bamaguy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I use DP Wheel Glaze on my three vehicles and it basically keeps the brake dust and contaminates from bonding to the wheels surface, thus making it easier to clean. I do not use on every wash but when used with Iron-X it has really cut down on the time it takes to clean the wheels.
Bamaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
Speedbuggy

Drives: bad ass camaro
while hydro2 is great, opti coat is awesome!
Speedbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Wheel sealant is marketing , especially for painted /cleared wheels

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Great question.

Your answer is a little bit yes and a little bit no...

Sealants (synthetic waxes which use polymers instead of natural ingredients) are going to over better protection in any temperature extreme environment vs. carnauba waxes. This is because the polymer's bond to the surface is going to remain stable (or more stable) in-spite of the heat.

So yes, using a synthetic sealant (even one designed for "paint") is going to work better than a natural wax. It's a huge step in the right direction.

No, it is not just marketing in hype. I once had a long conversation with the manufacturers of "Wheel Wax" which is a polymer sealant designed for wheels. My questions were very direct. Since most wheels are painted and synthetic sealants will withstand the temperatures that brake systems put out, why wouldn't I just use a paint sealant?

His answer included the fact that the paint used for wheels is considerably different than the paint used for bodies. Also your car's body is subjected to more UV radiation but less iron fall out. The formula was tweaked to meet these requirements. Also, since wheel's can be of a different material (chrome, aluminum, powder coat) the solvents in the product were such to optimize bonding on a number of surfaces.

Even with Pinnacle Black Label Wheel Coating, the product is designed for a different flash point (how quickly it cures) to make it easier to apply to small surfaces without creating high spots..

So yes and no....

If you are using a paint sealant on your wheels, they are likely well protected. However, by tweaking the formulas to create products that work best in a specific environment, you can get even better performance.

Ultimately, this sub-section exists because people want better, otherwise going to the parts store and slapping some wax on your paint is going to be adequate.. but we all want better
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
drookster

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Along these same lines, I'm guessing a sealant is effective on the 'inside' of the aluminum wheels too. I have the chrome painted wheels on my 2010 SS, but the inside of the wheel is raw aluminum.

So then my question is 2 fold:

1. How does one go about polishing the raw aluminum inside of the wheel? (mine are becoming extremely pitted) and

2. Will the sealant actually protect against further pitting, or more importantly, how often would it need to be re-applied?

Since the outside of the chrome/aluminum wheels are 'painted' I've been waxing them, which is fine. However, the brake dust is sticking and starting to mar the surface of the chrome-paint. So, using a sealant like you all are discussing sounds like a pretty good idea.
drookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I use Maguire's polymer sealant #20, like on the rest of my Camaro.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #12
Tcnj80

Drives: Black Jeep srt8, IOM 2013 2ss/rs.
Opti seal for the wheels, wowa.
Tcnj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drookster View Post
Along these same lines, I'm guessing a sealant is effective on the 'inside' of the aluminum wheels too. I have the chrome painted wheels on my 2010 SS, but the inside of the wheel is raw aluminum.

So then my question is 2 fold:

1. How does one go about polishing the raw aluminum inside of the wheel? (mine are becoming extremely pitted) and

2. Will the sealant actually protect against further pitting, or more importantly, how often would it need to be re-applied?

Since the outside of the chrome/aluminum wheels are 'painted' I've been waxing them, which is fine. However, the brake dust is sticking and starting to mar the surface of the chrome-paint. So, using a sealant like you all are discussing sounds like a pretty good idea.
1. If by polishing, you mean creating a mirror finish you may need to sand them. If they are smooth, you can go straight to polishing, if it is rough cast you will need to to sand them for multiple steps (starting very coarse and finishing very fine) and then polish. Here is why I recommend for metal polishing: BLACKFIRE Aluminum Polishing Kit How To

2. The sealant will add some protection against damage and pitting but nothing will make uncoated aluminum impervious to it. Raw aluminum is a pretty delicate surface; it tends to oxidize quickly, lose its shine, can be damaged by a host of wheel cleaners.

You best bet in this case would be to use something like BLACKIFRE Wet Diamond All Metal Sealant. It is an acrylic base to last longer on metals and is very temperature resistant. Even then, proper upkeep is going to be the key to success.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #14
KBsSS

Drives: 2013 Corvette 2LT
I just cleaned my polished wheels and use Optimum GPS on them. Of course my car gets washed regularly.

What can you use on your wheels to keep them clean and not take off the wax/ sealent you put on them
Thanks !!!

KB