Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-26-2016, 09:14 PM   #29
SSSHYBOY

Drives: 2SS convertible, black,black
I am "assuming" that you checked the oil level when you first brought the car home. I can't imagine driving this great new car for 4500 miles without checking the dipstick.. Maybe it was low when you picked it up..
Old 10-26-2016, 09:52 PM   #30
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I had to add a quart of oil to my LT1 before my first oil change in my 16 SS. I put in a quart of synthetic and just changed it myself yesterday afternoon and it hasn't used much or any at all since I added the quart. I did put Valvoline 5W30 Synthetic 10 quarts and a Mobil 1 filter #113 and the engine is running a lot better today. Btw I changed my oil at 6700 miles at 10% on the DIC. Good luck with your Camaro!
Old 10-27-2016, 05:31 AM   #31
Max RS

Drives: 2016 SS AT
You also need to be careful when checking your oil level. I watched a video about checking oil in our cars and then went and duplicated the procedure to verify. First check your oil level after the car has been sitting a few hours. I let mine sit overnight and checked it before starting. It was full. I backed it out of my garage, let it run a few minutes and shut down. I checked the oil and it barely touched the bottom of my dip stick. I checked it after 30 minutes and it was about 1/3 of the way up on the dip stick. I checked it after an hour and it was almost at the full mark. For whatever reason, I think our oil drains back slowly, which is not bad as it keeps oil on the top when starting. If I had not experimented with mine and checked the oil shortly after stopping, I would have thought it was low on oil. Try it.
2016 2SS AT
Max RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:28 AM   #32
Bluecyclone

Drives: 2014 Cyclone mustang
Coyote Red & oil consumption

In UPR I trust! And I went 750 miles on factory oil, then, Pennzoil full synthetic "made from natural gas". No oil consumption in excess as of 2,750 miles, but, it's a Mustang GT!
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2016, 08:52 AM   #33
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Agreed Max RS on checking the oil level as you stated. I check mine when it has been sitting overnight and that's how I knew it was a quart low. That was probably around 3000 miles and I didn't see a change in the level when I changed it the other day at 6700 miles. This was the first oil change done on my SS and I prefer to do my own oil changes.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:08 AM   #34
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecyclone View Post
In UPR I trust! And I went 750 miles on factory oil, then, Pennzoil full synthetic "made from natural gas". No oil consumption in excess as of 2,750 miles, but, it's a Mustang GT!
GTFO
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote