Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-19-2018, 12:30 AM   #1
Deadmau5

Drives: 2015 procharged mustang gt
Vengeance racing intake vs rotofab intake

Anyone know which is better? I mean the vengeance looks better but requires a tune which regardless I’d be getting ..also looks bigger than the rotofab as well.. anyone ever do a comparison between the two ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Deadmau5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:26 AM   #2
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Never compared, but the guys at Vengeance know their stuff so I would be comfortable that it functions as advertised. Unless there is a fundamental difference in design (over the radiator versus stock location, etc) I doubt there is a noticeable difference in function or impact between CAIs. Regardless of the name on the invoice, they all operate the same. What is more important to me is the filter which is used, fit and finish and reputation of the vendor to resolve problems. I think a tune is always optimal for a CAI, but I am not sure that it is a good cost versus return expenditure just for that mod. I would defer to Vengeance though, perhaps there is something particular about theirs that mandates a tune.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #3
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmau5 View Post
Anyone know which is better? I mean the vengeance looks better but requires a tune which regardless I’d be getting ..also looks bigger than the rotofab as well.. anyone ever do a comparison between the two ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I trust K&N more then any filter company and they now finally have one. It just takes time for R&D on new cars.

https://www.knfilters.com/search/pro...cid=ADDCABINAI

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
djfury05

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I've had the Vengeance CAI and now the Rotofab. I sent the Vengeance back on the same day it arrived. It fit too poorly for my liking. Rotofab is a much more finished product IMO. Vengeance normally puts out top quality parts but their CAI didn't do it for me.
djfury05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #5
Mcmillion

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1998 SS 1992 Typhoon
Your info is the same as I have heard. VR is bigger so needs a tune. Rotofab is a great bolt on for stock cars. I did the Rotofab as I won't be tuning for a little while. It sounds great and was a very easy install. Kind of hard to compare the two all the VR dynos will most likely have other mods and tunes and Rotofabs will be intake only/intake and TB.
Mcmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
One question I would have for 2018 ZL1 owners is fitment with their Roto-fab, if they noticed any whistling or gap from the mig weld. I have one sitting in the garage but I'm worried it won't fit right and once it's all opened and installed, I can't return it...
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:16 PM   #7
Mcmillion

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1998 SS 1992 Typhoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
One question I would have for 2018 ZL1 owners is fitment with their Roto-fab, if they noticed any whistling or gap from the mig weld. I have one sitting in the garage but I'm worried it won't fit right and once it's all opened and installed, I can't return it...
Mine has been perfect, but when I ordered it from RDP, he had options for 2017 or 2018 and I did order the 2018.
Mcmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #8
soceur77

Drives: 17 NFG ZL1 17 GTR 22 RS6
I recall Rotofab saying their product will stand up to competitors products tuned or untuned. That statement is what made me get it as I was on the fence due to the fact I didn't want to buy one now as I wasn't going to get a tune, then have to buy one later once I got tuned.....
soceur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #9
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmillion View Post
Mine has been perfect, but when I ordered it from RDP, he had options for 2017 or 2018 and I did order the 2018.
See that's what I feared. I ordered mine through eBay via Summit Racing and there's no way for them to know which model to send me. I guess I should return or sell it. Or I could try it and see how it goes.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:25 PM   #10
ReefBlueCoupe

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE MBM
I don't understand why Rotofab hasn't finalized their 2018 part and have it listed officially yet. The cars have been out for months, and they say privately they have a modified/different bracket for 2018 cars.

I saw an e-mail from Rotofab where buyers should specify when they order from Rotofab that the car is a 2018 because there is a difference in the mounting bracket, and they would send the modified/different part.

Still, only 2017 is listed on their website, there's no mention of what I just said on their site, and their official account at Summit Racing replied to a user's comment on their Summit link for this CAI (for 2017 cars) about not yet having fitment on the 2018 models confirmed - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...w/submodel/zl1 - in AUGUST of 2017... no update yet.

Where ya at, Rotofab? You may want to step up and clear up some of these mysteries. If you are telling people via e-mail to specify 2018 so a different part can be sent, then why not just make a 2018-compatible system available on your website and elsewhere? Lots of us are ready to buy, but nobody wants to a part that may not fit properly.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:28 PM   #11
harrist5683

Drives: 2018 Black ZL1 A10
Quote:
I have a 2018 ZL1 and received the 2017 Roto-Fab CAI. They are supposedly developing an airbox that will work with any year 6th Gen ZL1 model. They are working with me to send me a new airbox once the development is done (few weeks from now).

Mod List:
Corsa Extreme Axle-Back | Borla X-Pipe (#60607) | Roto-Fab CAI | GM Dark Tail Lamps | GM Dark Third Brake Lamp | DD Dark Side Markers | GM CF Fuel Door | Rear Reflector Blackout Kit | Xpel Clear Bra | Modesta BC-08 Ceramic Coat
harrist5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:42 PM   #12
Jimabe

Drives: 2018 Red ZL1
I have a new 2018 ZL1 and bought a very slightly used ROTO FAB from one of the members from here. Assuming it's the 2017 variety. I did read the few comments about fitment issues and went and looked at mine (Be happy to provide pics too)...
From what i'm seeing, looks to fit well. The hood closes harder due to sealing tight on top of unit/hood, but i think this is normal. Don't see an issue around the mig weld on mine...

With that, my unit does whistle. I'm thinking this is "normal" as I have a k/n CAI on my Toyota Tundra and it sounds similar (if not worse). It's a very high pitched whistle just as you crack the throttle. It's only as the TB blade opens. Once open, it immediately switches to a louder, low pitch "growl" as air travels through the unit. This sound stays...It's almost like an exhaust system on the front of your car...some don't mind...some do.
Oh yeah, you can hear the Supercharger more too!!...

Again, my opinion, but the stock air boxes insulate this noise with more restrictions...to me, part of the trade-off. There may be a unit out there where you can have best of both worlds, but i haven't heard or seen one yet. Maybe some of the other guys will chime in...

My 2c...
Jimabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:53 PM   #13
Hellobatman

Drives: 2017 Ford F250, 2019 Lincoln Navi
I have the vengeance intake. I think it looks great. Don't have any compaints
Attached Images

Last edited by Hellobatman; 03-19-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Hellobatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #14
bmclaurin

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
See that's what I feared. I ordered mine through eBay via Summit Racing and there's no way for them to know which model to send me. I guess I should return or sell it. Or I could try it and see how it goes.
I got mine from Summit and didn’t specify a model year. I have no idea whether what I received is the 2017 unit or the so-called update for 2018. But I do know that I have zero fitment issues on my 2018 ZL1. And no whistling except for a very momentary one just as the butterfly valve on the TB initially opens. This is only noticeable for the most part when accelerating from moderate speeds (e.g., a 40mph rolling start). I actually like that sound but some might not.
bmclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote