Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-10-2017, 09:00 PM   #29
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
I'm glad to hear they are finally exploring the idea of a stripper Camaro with a V8. There is a decently big market if they can get the price down just below $32k to undercut the Challenger RT and base Mustang GT. Sell it without the RS package. Remove some options across the entire trim lineup and decrease or at very least maintain current prices. The Mustang will eventually eclipse it in price. It's just a waiting game.
A base Mustang GT is 36k.. How is GM supposed to drop 6k off of the price of the 1SS to get to 32? Pipe dream.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:06 PM   #30
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
you wanna drop the v8 price to what the competition is doing, means cutting out 4k.

Assuming we can't ditch the unions to reduce factory overhead that gets built into the price...

1. Standard single din basic radio mounted in a double din standardized location. Junk standard speakers, no backup camera.
2. Lets bring back safety as an option. You get 2 standard air bags and the rest are optional (1 in steering wheel and one in passenger dash)
3. Detuned engine options - allowing chevy to reduce the number of radiators, tire width and exhaust system reduced in size.

While they're at all that, can they also just get rid of putting chrome (fake or real) inside the car? It looks cheap and is annoying since it loves to be in places that reflect the sun into your eyes while driving. Brushed aluminum idiots. It gives you that metal look without looking cheap and without blinding you. Everyone wins.
All passenger cars sold in North America are required to have a backup camera as of 2016 and side airbags as of 2008 unless the vehicle is classified as a convertible or targa.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #31
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
This is great news, base RS with V-8 option
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:41 PM   #32
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Keep the RS package on the SS.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:01 PM   #33
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
i dont think there are any laws on how many air bags must be in a car, since they all vary. And there's no law stating that you have to get great crash safety ratings.

You just gotta pass.

Might make the insurance a little higher but it's limited power could offset that increase.

Just gotta make the car way less upscale and performance oriented but keep the look and then the aftermarket can make it awesome... which is the historic demographic/market for the camaro.

Though, i think if you got rid of mylink and all the proprietary stuff that brings and go with a standard stereo setup, that would easily knock off over a grand ..probably closer to 2k when you consider the licensing costs of MOST, bose, etc. Then reducing engine power and going with thinner, more common tire sizes and such would net you the remaining money to get close to the competition price points.
No, there aren't laws on the number of airbags BUT coincidentally you won't pass side impact regulations without them. So in effect the number is regulated.

You are also correct to an extent. You MUST meet FMVSS standards PERIOD. You only have to choose where you want to go with IIHS. http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings but to choose to not be good on those you better hope your competition is willing to take the same road. Otherwise you will get, "For the same money we're an IIHS Top Safety Pick, Camaro? Well maybe they just don't care about you or your families safety. At Ford, we do". You don't want to be there to save a few hundred bucks.

Safety is an expectation these days, not an option. That's why more an more we will see Level 2 intervention for steering and braking on most to all cars very soon.......adding even more money across the board.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #34
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerch98 View Post
Maybe a 5.3 for the base V-8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs2lt View Post
Yeah ^good suggestion 5.3 would do wonders..a lot if mod possibilities at an inexpensive coat..
That's assuming the 5.3 is any cheaper to build than the 6.2, which I don't see why it would be.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:45 AM   #35
Skerj

Drives: 2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
That's assuming the 5.3 is any cheaper to build than the 6.2, which I don't see why it would be.
I don't know full specs, but maybe GM would be able to use the V6 and 4 banger transmissions and drivelines parts if this were to come to fruition. Although unless they reduced power and torque I'd still imagine it'd need the beefier parts... Regardless I don't see this happening. There's already 4 engines in the lineup.

I've been impressed with the 1SS and available options from the start. I wish there were more out there with NPP AND MRC, but Ford requiring higher trims/packages to get their dual mode exhaust and Magneride definitely irks me. For Chevy to have a stripped model is doable I'd think, with cheaper wheel/tire combos, less radio/screen, etc but they still are required to have safety equipment, back up cameras, at least one speaker (I'm looking at you Z28), and so on. In my head I'm seeing the price difference being maybe $3k. At the same time reducing production volume of the current parts and adding another theoretically increases the cost of each.
Skerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:09 AM   #36
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
By the way is this any admission that the car may not be selling as well as GM had planned? Might be interesting in one of the monthly sales threads.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:10 AM   #37
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
This is a good move. I know people who want the V8 SS, but don't want all the goodies it comes with. Or just can't afford it as is...

So lose the two big screens, ditch Apple and Android car play, make the seats manual, drop the RS package, and make all these things options on the 1SS, not standard.

Maybe even make a optional performance package sort of thing like the Mustang has. So if someone doesn't care about the suspension upgrades, or possibly wants a softer, easier ride they can get that. Plus, that would better align it with the Mustang, as they do the same.

Either of these changes could bring the base price of a V8 SS down a few thousand dollars and make them much more accessible.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #38
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
I'm not really sure this will help. Most people nowadays want HID's standard. The 8 inch screen should remain standard. The 5th gen had the MyLink display standard too. Also power seats and what not. One annoying thing was Bluetooth did not come standard(at least in mine). I believe the 6th Gen has is it standard. Brakes should not be downgraded. Doubt they will. Maybe they will make the LCD screen an option, I don't know. I prefer the current 1SS configuration, it is a better value than competition base V8 trims(Scat Pack and Base GT). You get more without having to option out expensive packages which hike up the price.

Instead GM should lower MSRP a bit, offer more incentives, and stop producing loaded builds. Dealers are mostly selling expensive, heavily optioned out Camaro's. MRC, Sunroof and other options aren't necessary.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #39
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingHawk View Post
I'm not really sure this will help. Most people nowadays want HID's standard. The 8 inch screen should remain standard. The 5th gen had the MyLink display standard too. Also power seats and what not. One annoying thing was Bluetooth did not come standard(at least in mine). I believe the 6th Gen has is it standard. Brakes should not be downgraded. Doubt they will. Maybe they will make the LCD screen an option, I don't know. I prefer the current 1SS configuration, it is a better value than competition base V8 trims(Scat Pack and Base GT). You get more without having to option out expensive packages which hike up the price.

Instead GM should lower MSRP a bit, offer more incentives, and stop producing loaded builds. Dealers are mostly selling expensive, heavily optioned out Camaro's. MRC, Sunroof and other options aren't necessary.
So basically GM should just give stuff away for free.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:54 AM   #40
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
So basically GM should just give stuff away for free.
??

I'm fine with the 1SS price, I don't think cutting down the price will help much. But the current 1SS configuration is perfect.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:02 AM   #41
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
The 5.3 can't be nearly as expensive as the 6.2 etc..I understand adding an engine opt isn't the standard, but they could ditch the v6 for the 5.3 and get similar performance. Push the T4 and now the middle engine can be easily and cheaply modded and not maxed out like the v6 is..I know not my original idea but I'm on board..
Old 08-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #42
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Removing content is not a very good strategy. GM did this about 15 years ago. On the Grand Prix they removed ABS as standard equipment for the 2003 model year. My stepdad was miffed at this when he started looking at new '03 GP GTs. Turns out it was a very bad move by GM. Cost them sales and made them look bad, not that they were doing so great anyways as this was a few years before bankruptcy.

Ever hear of Moore's law? Google it. It's the reason a 286 4Mhz computer with 2 MB of RAM, 5 1/4" floppy drive, and a monochrome 14" tube monitor cost $5,000 in 1989 and a 3.3 Ghz iCore 7 with 4GB of RAM, 800GB solid state hard drive, 19" HD LCD display, and 48x Blue Ray player costs $600.00 today.

Well, same goes for all the other technology in a car. Frankly the entire electronics communication system and data link for the entire car, including everything from headlights, wipers, OnStar, Car Play/Droid, and navigation, cost very little to produce now. Car companies are wowing you with all the high tech stuff but really, it costs bubkus to make today. They really shouldn't be charging what they do.

Last edited by fastball; 08-11-2017 at 09:43 AM.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote