Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-03-2015, 10:00 AM   #15
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
I don't know why they insist on using those crappy Goodyears. My Shelby came with Goodyear Eagle F1 G2's and they are HORRIBLE! I replaced them and it transformed the whole car.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:11 AM   #16
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
I haven't tried looking for it but there was a post a while ago from a guy who was there while the camaro guys were testing different tires for the 6th gen. I wouldn't be too worried, but I'm sure there are improvements to be had by switching out the tires, if you guys are so sure that the run flats will hurt performance (I have no idea).
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #17
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgnxs View Post
I haven't tried looking for it but there was a post a while ago from a guy who was there while the camaro guys were testing different tires for the 6th gen. I wouldn't be too worried, but I'm sure there are improvements to be had by switching out the tires, if you guys are so sure that the run flats will hurt performance (I have no idea).
I know the most common problem with RFTs is lack of "road feel". They basically do not communicate what the car is doing like a standard tire.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:42 AM   #18
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The ATS-V compares to the SS for a few reasons. They are on the same platform. They should be similar in weight. They make similar power. They also have the same transmission options. The ATS-V makes more horsepower but less torque. It also has better tires. I think the SS will be slightly slower due to the tires.
The platform is only 30% the same. Its just as much cts as it is ats. Plus the car itself is bigger than the ats. But assuming the camaro hots its weight goals it shouldn't matter. Plus the caddy has 52/48 weight distribution so if the camaor doesn't meet or exceed that it'll have less weight over the tires (plus weight transfer) to hook up with on top of tires that aren't as good. Even at 3800lbs I could still see 11's on some hero runs and low 12's on the norm for the auto. I just hope the rear holds together for manual guys with sticky tires.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #19
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
The platform is only 30% the same. Its just as much cts as it is ats. Plus the car itself is bigger than the ats. But assuming the camaro hots its weight goals it shouldn't matter. Plus the caddy has 52/48 weight distribution so if the camaor doesn't meet or exceed that it'll have less weight over the tires (plus weight transfer) to hook up with on top of tires that aren't as good. Even at 3800lbs I could still see 11's on some hero runs and low 12's on the norm for the auto. I just hope the rear holds together for manual guys with sticky tires.
It's still the alpha platform. Just because it's been modified for the Camaro doesn't mean it won't be an excellent base for the car.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #20
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
When the cars are this close in performance it boils down to personal preference, but the AMG is way too pricey, and the guy with the beard just couldn't bring himself to giving the Caddy the nod. Time will only tell on the 6th Gen and it's getting closer day by day, tic-tic-tic.
I think the SS will be pretty darn good.

Last edited by nancygrl; 09-03-2015 at 02:13 PM.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:37 PM   #21
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by M12LRV View Post
The V beats the C63 AMG on the track, puts down 0-60 in 3.7 and 1/4 in 12.1@ 116.2, 60-0 in 99ft(with 4 piston calipers). MT praises the chassis as one of the best.

Thoughts?

Still so many differences between the cars regardless of platform being the same. At this point this just shows even more how eager we ALL are for news.

I think we will hear more after the holiday.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #22
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Some of the mustang guys are stressing hard for the camaro to not get these times in mags.
They are praying next to their beds every night asking God for mid 12s.
Don't they remember this is the order of things? We gave them a couple years and now they are surprised?

Funny thing is that's still around a half second quicker than the GT runs in the mags.....4-5 tenths in the quarter is several car lengths and not a drivers race in any way.

Guessing since the 15 gt hero time is 12.4 that will make them feel better if the new camaro can't beat that in a mag review. Funny.

I expect the ats to be slightly faster because of tires and twin turbo v6 torque curve is better. Power from bottom to top. The lt1 is no slouch in the curve either matching the ls7 to around 4500 rpm.
Conditions will also play a factor just like any other strip comparison. The camaro and ats will need to be tested same track same day same drivers to know the true differences. Which won't happen id guess.

But just guessing I'd put the camaro at 12.3-4 1/4 mile and around 4.0 0-60 in mag tests. Traps should be at least 114 or so...

Way more than enough to put the pony out to pasture. Conversation will be averted to price after the official beat downs begin. And some might even cry conspiracy.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:22 PM   #23
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
All I'm sayin' is, if the Camaro SS performs like this caddy, I'm placing an order immediately and doing back flips into the dealership when it comes in. That would be incredible for a factory SS Camaro. Definite home run for Chevy and nobody would be able to argue that. Not even the biggest mustang nut swinger.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #24
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
All I'm sayin' is, if the Camaro SS performs like this caddy, I'm placing an order immediately and doing back flips into the dealership when it comes in. That would be incredible for a factory SS Camaro. Definite home run for Chevy and nobody would be able to argue that. Not even the biggest mustang nut swinger.
Ha.... Trust me they will no matter what.

When all else fails they fall back on price or a higher end model. And the real nut cases cry conspiracy.

In all fairness the 16ss is a good 4k more expensive. You get what you pay for.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:55 PM   #25
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Alpha, mag ride, HUD and mid to low 12's. Recall Mark Reuss's comment last February. After watching that ATS-V video it sounds like it will be close

Quote:
think about the satisfaction that a ZL1 offers you today off of current Zeta. Think about that satisfaction moved down from an accessibility and model-range standpoint. Think about that. If you like the ZL1 today, you're going to love the SS tomorrow. Think about that from a philosophical standpoint

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 09-03-2015 at 03:17 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:35 PM   #26
bdavies11

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
One of them over on M6 just tried to argue that the Camaro wont run as well as the ATS-V because not all athletes with the same build as Usain Bolt are as fast as he is. Where do they come up with this stuff?

Also to answer "garagelogic's" question in the "Usain Bolt" post, some of us have tried to post over there under the same name but have been shadowbanned, I guess, since we don't participate in other parts of the forum... I signed up over there to try to correct misinformation that was being sprayed. None of my posts were disrespectful in any way, just trying to chime into the debate and be respectful but none of my posts ever make it through so I gave up. Only thing I could try is to sign up with another name (although I haven't done so yet). Perhaps that's happened to many others as well.

Last edited by bdavies11; 09-03-2015 at 03:51 PM.
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:45 PM   #27
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
The ATS-V starts at 61k msrp, your going to end up paying around 70k for it.

With everything the SS is around 50k. With that being said I think its fair to assume the ATSV is going to out preform the SS. GMC is known for better chassis and suspension ect...

I would bet a good amount of money that the SS is going to do 12.4-12.6 in the quarter mile.

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:55 PM   #28
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
To lazy to look, isn't the CTS-V all wheel drive?