Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-06-2015, 03:53 AM   #1
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Camaros attract the wrong attention sometimes

It's 1am and i'm driving home from work down a wide open 3 lane street, there's not a car near me at all (no headlights or taillights for miles). I approach a green traffic light, and there was a police officer on the road crossing waiting for his light to turn green, in the middle lane. I pass him going maybe 55 in a 50 (though in his defense it may have been 45, but that street I was on turns to 50 near there anyway), so after a few seconds he takes an illegal right turn and starts following me. Literally 3 seconds after he took that turn my radar detector started screaming. Once he found out I was doing 55 he turned his radar gun off and hauled axx to get behind me (he was wayyyy behind me, so I know he was going above 60mph to catch up). He then rode the left lane (I was in the middle) right behind me for the next mile or two, til after the 2nd light he then sped to get in front of me (i have no idea why) and made a u turn.

Dude really? Who am I hurting by going 55 on a wide open road at 1am?
Thank you, other officer who I sped past moments before this guy, for trusting me and not trying to catch me on anything.

What are your guys's stories? Do cops treat your Camaro's like we're a bunch of speeders?

(EDIT: This story is in no way written to disrespect LEO's. I just thought it was an interesting one you all may wanna hear. Please don't take it the wrong way. Of the many direct and indirect encounters I've had with the excellent law enforcement officials of my city, this was out of the ordinary. For more clarification see my next response on page 2)

Last edited by guerrillakilla13; 08-06-2015 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Had to add disclaimer
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:16 AM   #2
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Seriously? You feel victimized? First off... a technicality: there is no such thing as "a green stoplight". Secondly... you may have been speeding (55 in a 45 or 50 - you don't know) in which case, he cut you some slack and didn't stop you. Third point... cops can't make "an illegal right turn" when they are in the process of running down a potential violator.

Lastly... I suspect you were speeding, probably 10 over the limit, and he just tailed you for a while to see if you were driving okay (not swerving, etc.). It took him a couple of miles to run your plate. After all, it was 1AM and virtually no one else out at that time. You could have been drunk. It's what they do. It's their job. He wasn't picking on you because you drive a Camaro.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:20 AM   #3
jimlem

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
When you work graveyards it gets slow after midnight and you have to make your own fun. For all you guys who get stopped (especially late nights) for a few miles over the speed limit or a burned out bulb, or a lane change w/o signaling, It's not the Camaro it's the game. You're being fished. No cop wants to spend a night shift writing petty tickets, they want to take a bad guy to jail. It's called fishing. You jet all over your area, sometimes w/o lights just looking for a moving car. You see one and look for any legal reason to stop it. Then you contact the driver hoping you'll see or smell something illegal so you have PC to search the car and hope to find some dope or an illegal weapon etc. If nothing else you run the driver's DL and hope for a big warrant. Anything to get away from the monotony of driving in circles all night. If you cannot find anything, you throw the fish back with a warning and jet out of there to get the next car before you're area partner does.
jimlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:28 AM   #4
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlem View Post
When you work graveyards it gets slow after midnight and you have to make your own fun. For all you guys who get stopped (especially late nights) for a few miles over the speed limit or a burned out bulb, or a lane change w/o signaling, It's not the Camaro it's the game. You're being fished. No cop wants to spend a night shift writing petty tickets, they want to take a bad guy to jail. It's called fishing. You jet all over your area, sometimes w/o lights just looking for a moving car. You see one and look for any legal reason to stop it. Then you contact the driver hoping you'll see or smell something illegal so you have PC to search the car and hope to find some dope or an illegal weapon etc. If nothing else you run the driver's DL and hope for a big warrant. Anything to get away from the monotony of driving in circles all night. If you cannot find anything, you throw the fish back with a warning and jet out of there to get the next car before you're area partner does.
And that's the way it is. Right on the money.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:29 AM   #5
RDBURNR

Drives: 2016 Camarro 2SS
So I guess you want to write the cop a citizen's ticket because he made "an illegal U-Turn" and "Hauled Axx" to get behind you! What are you one of those U-Tube self empowered wanna be Lawyers that scream out "Are You Detaining Me" because you think the 4th amendment was specifically written to protect YOU from any Law Enforcement contact, even though your actions provided reasonable suspicion, nay probable cause for a traffic stop? What a tool!
RDBURNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:29 AM   #6
jimlem

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Palmer GA,

You too huh?
jimlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:07 AM   #7
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
So far, the local cops seem to like my car. The very few times any local policemen have been near my car, they always come over and check it out. Got to remember, just behind that badge is a guy.. and most guys like cool cars. I try not to speed in town, especially late at night.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:14 AM   #8
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
lol indeed the car draws attention. to say otherwise would be naive. especially the 1LE it kind of screams write me a ticket, please.
luckily many police, fire and military are big Camaro fans so not all of the attention is negative.
my large department city police, large department county sheriffs and large department highway patrol generally don't bother or have the time for pester patrol. but if you dare venture into an outskirts municipality just say hello to the bored guys with nothing better to do.
as long as you are obeying the law and are not a minority (lol) they will turn off after they run your tag or when you exit their jurisdiction.
it helps to be an old guy and not a kid. sorry, but that's the way it is.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:30 AM   #9
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarky View Post
it helps to be an old guy and not a kid. sorry, but that's the way it is.
lol... yes, this is very true. Unfortunately, I know first hand.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:49 AM   #10
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Ive never been messed with by police unless it was deserved. I live in MA, one of the most intense state police you can imagine.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:04 AM   #11
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
I have to agree with most of the responses above. It's late at night, you're the only car on the road and you're speeding... It's not the Camaro, it's just you...
You should feel lucky he didn't pull you over and ticket you.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:07 AM   #12
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
So far, the local cops seem to like my car. The very few times any local policemen have been near my car, they always come over and check it out. Got to remember, just behind that badge is a guy.. and most guys like cool cars. I try not to speed in town, especially late at night.
Same here.. I seem to get respect from my local LEO's. But I live in a small town where they will get you for going 5 mph over at 1am.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:14 AM   #13
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Seriously? You feel victimized? First off... a technicality: there is no such thing as "a green stoplight". Secondly... you may have been speeding (55 in a 45 or 50 - you don't know) in which case, he cut you some slack and didn't stop you. Third point... cops can't make "an illegal right turn" when they are in the process of running down a potential violator.

Lastly... I suspect you were speeding, probably 10 over the limit, and he just tailed you for a while to see if you were driving okay (not swerving, etc.). It took him a couple of miles to run your plate. After all, it was 1AM and virtually no one else out at that time. You could have been drunk. It's what they do. It's their job. He wasn't picking on you because you drive a Camaro.
You nailed it !
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:51 AM   #14
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post

100% agree
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote