Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #71
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
So, according to the online ordering guide, there is a rear differential cooler standard on the 1SS and 2SS. So that means there are:

1. Three radiators for engine coolant with added capacity.
2. A separate radiator for transmission cooling.
3. An oil cooler attached to the side of the oil pan that uses engine coolant on the secondary side.
4. A rear differential cooler (no details on how that is achieved).
5. Brake cooling ducts from the front lower grille.

Looks like Chevy is making a serious effort to meet their claim of the SS being track ready.

Yes GM has put is some serious thought into tracking the SS camaro. Gonna be an awesome Car on and off the track

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #72
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
If they're all for the engine, the ONLY reason to break up the main radiator into 3 smaller ones would be to allow for a lower front profile of the car, ...
That is not the only reason. Another reason is for increased capacity for track use. Remember, in a moder car, the engine will pull timing when the car gets hot so you don't have preignition. And when you pull timing, you are giving up HP. When tracking the car, you don't want heat issues reducing your HP.

Another reason is when you add an oil cooler that uses engine coolant, you are putting more heat into your coolant. If you put more heat in, you should take more heat out, unless you have extra capacity, or don't mind pulling timing.

Another reason is so the main radiator can be narower, allowing for big brake cooing ducts to run from the front lower grille to the brakes.

I am totally sure the auxilliary radiators are for engine coolant. Here is an excerpt from the online order guide:

Y4QHeavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package, includes (KC4) external engine oil cooler, (V03) extra capacity cooling system and (J55) Brembo 4-piston front performance, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc brakes; also includes (V18) auxiliary engine coolant cooler with (LTG) 2.0L Turbo engine
1 - Requires (WRS) RS Package.A1A1-- --

JL9Brakes, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel discS S -- -- J6GBrakes, Brembo 4-piston front and rear, performance, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc-- -- S S J55Brakes, Brembo 4-piston front, performance, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc
1 - Included and only available with (Y4Q) Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package.A1A1-- -- KC4Cooling, external engine oil cooler
1 - Included and only available with (Y4Q) Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package.A1A1S S V03Cooling system, extra capacity
1 - Included and only available with (Y4Q) Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package.A1A1S S V18Cooler, engine coolant, auxiliary
1 - Included and only available with (Y4Q) Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package when (LTG) 2.0L Turbo engine is ordered.A1A1S S KNRCooler, rear differential-- -- S S KD1Cooler, transmission oil-- -- S S

If you will notice, you can get a "Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package" on non-SS models. Take a look at reference only RPO code "V18". It is listed as "Cooler, engine coolant, auxiliary". Also note that on LT models, you can NOT get a rear differential or transmission cooler. All of which is standard on the SS.

Also, if you look at the picture I posted above, you can see one of the oil cooler lines is connected, and it runs under the A/C compressor, and right to the engine coolant line from the water pump.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:31 PM   #73
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:

That is not the only reason. Another reason is for increased capacity for track use. Remember, in a moder car, the engine will pull timing when the car gets hot so you don't have preignition. And when you pull timing, you are giving up HP. When tracking the car, you don't want heat issues reducing your HP.

Another reason is when you add an oil cooler that uses engine coolant, you are putting more heat into your coolant. If you put more heat in, you should take more heat out, unless you have extra capacity, or don't mind pulling timing.

Another reason is so the main radiator can be narower, allowing for big brake cooing ducts to run from the front lower grille to the brakes.

I am totally sure the auxilliary radiators are for engine coolant. Here is an excerpt from the online order guide:

Y4QHeavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package, includes (KC4) external engine oil cooler, (V03) extra capacity cooling system and (J55) Brembo 4-piston front performance, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc brakes; also includes (V18) auxiliary engine coolant cooler with (LTG) 2.0L Turbo engine
1 - Requires (WRS) RS Package.A1A1-- --

JL9Brakes, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel discS S -- -- J6GBrakes, Brembo 4-piston front and rear, performance, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc-- -- S S J55Brakes, Brembo 4-piston front, performance, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc
1 - Included and only available with (Y4Q) Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package.A1A1-- -- KC4Cooling, external engine oil cooler
1 - Included and only available with (Y4Q) Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package.A1A1S S V03Cooling system, extra capacity
1 - Included and only available with (Y4Q) Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package.A1A1S S V18Cooler, engine coolant, auxiliary
1 - Included and only available with (Y4Q) Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package when (LTG) 2.0L Turbo engine is ordered.A1A1S S KNRCooler, rear differential-- -- S S KD1Cooler, transmission oil-- -- S S

If you will notice, you can get a "Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package" on non-SS models. Take a look at reference only RPO code "V18". It is listed as "Cooler, engine coolant, auxiliary". Also note that on LT models, you can NOT get a rear differential or transmission cooler. All of which is standard on the SS.

Also, if you look at the picture I posted above, you can see one of the oil cooler lines is connected, and it runs under the A/C compressor, and right to the engine coolant line from the water pump.
I didn't know the online ordering was already available. Do you have the link? It's hard to tell from what you posted but it looks like the V18 option is a special cooling package just for the turbo 4.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:32 PM   #74
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I didn't know the online ordering was already available. Do you have the link? It's hard to tell from what you posted but it looks like the V18 option is a special cooling package just for the turbo 4.
Check the Ordering and Pricing section of the forum. One of the stickies is the online order guide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:05 PM   #75
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
So, according to the online ordering guide, there is a rear differential cooler standard on the 1SS and 2SS. So that means there are:

1. Three radiators for engine coolant with added capacity.
2. A separate radiator for transmission cooling.
3. An oil cooler attached to the side of the oil pan that uses engine coolant on the secondary side.
4. A rear differential cooler (no details on how that is achieved).
5. Brake cooling ducts from the front lower grille.

Looks like Chevy is making a serious effort to meet their claim of the SS being track ready.
I'm still curious if the manual gets a trans cooler? I hope so!
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #76
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Online ordering is not available, but the online ordering guide is up. Follow the instructions on this thread:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416538

Here is the part I was talking about, sorry about the formatting issues. Hope this is better.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2015, 09:50 PM   #77
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
I'm still curious if the manual gets a trans cooler? I hope so!
This is a tough one, but I am going to guess yes by the guide, but my gut reaction would have been no. Here is why I think the guide is suggesting yes. Take a look at GW6 and GT4. They have an S (for standard) with a superscript 1 with a note telling you that this RPO is only available for a certain transmission. BUT, if you look at KD1, there is no such notation. Seems to be with either transmission.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2015, 04:56 PM   #78
libertyforall

Drives: '01 Camaro SS 'Vert; '02 Camaro RS
Ok, this thread needs some photos of said coolers! Did anyone snap some at Camarofest? All of them, not just the 3 radiators... TIA!
Old 01-09-2016, 05:23 PM   #79
E-Ray

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Nightfall Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
Ok, this thread needs some photos of said coolers! Did anyone snap some at Camarofest? All of them, not just the 3 radiators... TIA!
I agree, I would like to see there location. I recently had to tow my 2016 2ss to the dealership due to loss of coolant. There excuse was a rock hole in the axilary radiator. I would like to see if this is even possible.
E-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:28 PM   #80
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ray View Post
I agree, I would like to see there location. I recently had to tow my 2016 2ss to the dealership due to loss of coolant. There excuse was a rock hole in the axilary radiator. I would like to see if this is even possible.
There is 1 radiator that is actually right there on the under tray laying flat. Not sure if you can see it via looking through the grill but you DEFINITELY CAN see and even feel it when you just lay down in front of the car and put your hands on the undertray.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:30 PM   #81
hadkins2

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE Hyper Blue
I took my 2SS to the tire shop this morning to swap out the summer tires for a set of All Seasons. When they took the front wheels off, there is a radiator grille stuff in the front of both wheel wells. I should have take pictures and I apologize for missing that opportunity.

Howard

2005 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
1987 Camaro IROC-Z White T-Tops

Instagram @Gen6ZL1
hadkins2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:44 PM   #82
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ray View Post
Just look through the front grill and you can see the main center radiator and two smaller vertical radiators on both sides.

The horizontal one is the trans cooler.
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 01:36 AM   #83
SIXINFANTRY
xxSIXINFANTRYxx

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro19 View Post
Yes that's what I meant each one is for a different component. One for the engine, one for the trans and one for rear end. Most cars and trucks now already have separate radiators or coolers for engine and trans
I know what your saying there. To answer your question, it still has all those other ones, in addition to the three for the engine coolant. So there's actually a total of more than three all together. There's three for the engine, then your trans and oil, then a heat exchanger for the differential. A little late to the show here, but just in case some comes across this still looking......
SIXINFANTRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:47 AM   #84
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXINFANTRY View Post
I know what your saying there. To answer your question, it still has all those other ones, in addition to the three for the engine coolant. So there's actually a total of more than three all together. There's three for the engine, then your trans and oil, then a heat exchanger for the differential. A little late to the show here, but just in case some comes across this still looking......
Really went digging I see, I for one can’t wait to see the unveiling of the new 2016 SS up close and personal
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote