Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #15
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro19 View Post
Yes that's what I meant each one is for a different component. One for the engine, one for the trans and one for rear end. Most cars and trucks now already have separate radiators or coolers for engine and trans
Not certain but my understanding is that the three radiators are interconnected to increase cooling. Standard on SS as V03, cooling system extra capacity (option on LT). There is also a engine oil cooler KC4 and transmission cooler.

Look at lower left corner of this image
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #16
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Haven't you guys heard ? It's bad engineering and a band aid.
I could be wrong but I believe this statement comes from the horizontally mounted auxiliary radiator mounted behind the main radiator in C7 Corvettes with automatic 8 speed transmissions. There is still a question if this horizontally mounted design will work to keep the A8 transmissions cool during track use. The small radiator in the rear quarter panels is not enough during track use in C7 Corvettes.

It is my understanding that the three radiators in the G6 Camaros are vertically mounted and more exposed to cool air to help during track use. I am glad that they did not use a horizontal design under the car like the Corvettes.

**EDIT** - I just read that the G6 Camaro WILL have a horizontally mounted transmission cooler. For myself, I am going to wait until the design on the G6 is tested on many tracks for many miles before I make my decision. Remember, the A8 Z51 Corvette was supposed to be "track tested" but it is not turning out to be that way. An additional horizontal cooler was added behind the main radiator on 2016 Corvette A8's (same as on the new G6 Camaro). It has not been proven yet if this design will work on the track yet.

Last edited by OldJedi; 07-11-2015 at 07:48 PM.
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #17
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
I remember reading somewhere that there are a total of four radiators; 3 engine radiators in the [ bracket configuration, and then a horizontally mounted lower radiator for the trans

may have totally dreamed that though
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:38 PM   #18
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Haven't you guys heard ? It's bad engineering and a band aid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Another insight from that Mustang site?
Quote:
Of course
If 6th gen Mustang had three radiators at launch that whole site would be changing their underwear.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:09 PM   #19
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
The only downfalls are weight and how much it may or may not cramp up the engine bay. But I guess after turning wrenches on 4th gens for 6yrs anything is an improvement.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #20

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
What a gift and awesome track goody from the factory to have those radiators and coolers come with the car....Look around and anyone who has tried to do this on their own went through major headaches, trial and error, ton of money and questionable results...lol...

It's a fantastic feature, and I hope by some miracle they may be workable for the 5thGens....Whatever they charge for them, it will be a bargain...don't pass it up.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:33 PM   #21
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
I think the three radiator set up might be to allow for more air flow to the front brakes. If you look at the playbook at the page with the Blue SS shown from the front, there is an arrow to the side of the lower grille that states "SS front fascia with integrated brake cooling ducts". The smaller main radiator may allow more space for the brake cooling ducts. I want to take a look under the hood....
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:10 PM   #22
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
I know the new ZL1 is going to need a hell of a lot more air intake to compete with the Hellcat
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #23
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Yeah, I always worry about fluid leaks after an accident. Poor design. They should have when with air cooled.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #24
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
I went through 3 different set ups and cut up my car to get better cooling then the fifth gen offered stock. Hope their extra thought to this with the sixth gen is a better start.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:56 AM   #25
Ernest T

Drives: 2014 RS
The C7 is experiencing overheating auto trans issues on the track. The 2016 is getting an extra tranny cooler in an effort to reduce the heat. You can't have enough cooling when you are dealing with high horsepower engines. You can't create power without creating heat. It looks like they have learned from the C7 experience and are putting that to work in the Camaro.
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #26
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
If you're going to do it right for a track car (road course), you need a radiator to cool engine water; a radiator to cool engine oil; a radiator to cool transmission oil, and a radiator to cool differential oil. Since all those fluids are different from each other, you would need 4 radiators. Including 3 radiators on the SS shows the Camaro team "gets it" and is addressing engine water temp, engine oil temp, and trans oil temp. They didn't include one for the differential but that's a reasonable compromise for what's essentially a street car that could be run on the track reliably.

For the Z/28 however that's a different story; I would expect that 4th radiator for the diff since the oil in there gets mighty hot too. In fact GM recommends you change the diff oil for every 6 hours of track time which gives you an idea of the beating the oil takes in there. Does that add some weight and complexity? Yes, but that's preferable to break-downs and things blowing up. It IS supposed to be a track car that's street legal so track use is it's main purpose. This is an area where creative channeling of airflow under the car could be used to guide air to a rearward cooler with short piping to the differential.

The 3 radiators on the SS is a good thing. Just don't be cheap with the fluids; use high quality fluids and you should see years of high performance enjoyment for those who choose to use their cars in that manner.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #27
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
If you're going to do it right for a track car (road course), you need a radiator to cool engine water; a radiator to cool engine oil; a radiator to cool transmission oil, and a radiator to cool differential oil. Since all those fluids are different from each other, you would need 4 radiators. Including 3 radiators on the SS shows the Camaro team "gets it" and is addressing engine water temp, engine oil temp, and trans oil temp. They didn't include one for the differential but that's a reasonable compromise for what's essentially a street car that could be run on the track reliably.

For the Z/28 however that's a different story; I would expect that 4th radiator for the diff since the oil in there gets mighty hot too. In fact GM recommends you change the diff oil for every 6 hours of track time which gives you an idea of the beating the oil takes in there. Does that add some weight and complexity? Yes, but that's preferable to break-downs and things blowing up. It IS supposed to be a track car that's street legal so track use is it's main purpose. This is an area where creative channeling of airflow under the car could be used to guide air to a rearward cooler with short piping to the differential.

The 3 radiators on the SS is a good thing. Just don't be cheap with the fluids; use high quality fluids and you should see years of high performance enjoyment for those who choose to use their cars in that manner.
You know all 3 are for engine coolant only don't you?
Old 07-14-2015, 12:32 AM   #28
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
You know all 3 are for engine coolant only don't you?
Where did you see that? The snapshot on the previous page lists "engine coolers and transmission coolers" so at least one of those has to be for the transmission, right?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote