Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Question about insurance and core charge on new wheel

Hey guys, recently my car was hit and the back rear wheel is going to be replaced.

Note that the other guy is totally at fault and that his insurance has accepted liability and is paying.

Now my bodyshop is telling me there is a core charge of 50 dollars for the new wheel. I researched this and it's true.

So now the question comes, I want to keep my wheel as it really isn't in all that bad shape, so who has to pay the core charge: me or the insurance?

I think I have to pay and that's what the body shop says but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the input!

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
Chiefish

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Ok heres the deal, the only insurance company that will buy a brand new wheel from the dealer every time is New Jersey Manufacturers, every other ins. company will make the body shop get a reconditioned wheel and use that in the repairs. There is always a core charge for the body shop from the vendor of at least $50, but we will let someone have the old wheel if they are willing to cover the $50 we have to pay for the core. Its only fair. So to sum it up if you want the old wheel you have to cover the $50 core charge.
Chiefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefish View Post
Ok heres the deal, the only insurance company that will buy a brand new wheel from the dealer every time is New Jersey Manufacturers, every other ins. company will make the body shop get a reconditioned wheel and use that in the repairs. There is always a core charge for the body shop from the vendor of at least $50, but we will let someone have the old wheel if they are willing to cover the $50 we have to pay for the core. Its only fair. So to sum it up if you want the old wheel you have to cover the $50 core charge.
thanks, that's exactly what I'm doing. I figure my wheel is worth at least 50 dollars so I'm going to pay that much for it.

appreciate the input

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote