Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
velocity149

Drives: 2014 2SS RS LS3
When Do Police Stops Become Profiling?

Back in the days of the 2LT RS, I had a few speeding tickets, nothing big, but I learned my lesson. The police used to stop me every once in a while, and just ask where I was going, or who's car it was. I was always polite, and had no problems going on my way after they were done checking my license. Last night, 11:00 PM, driving up the road to Mac's and Petro Canada, and I pass an intersection with a police car on the left side (going straight). As soon as I am through the intersection, he puts his lights on, and turns left on a red light, to pull me over. Keep in mind, I was doing 50kph in a 50 zone. He stopped me, asked who's car this is. I told him it was mine, and he snickered. Then he asked what I had to sell to get the car...

That is when it became too much for me, so I got slightly sarcastic, and said "machine parts, why?". At this point, he asked me where I was going, and I told him I was getting gas, and some chips and a drink and going home. He took my license and insurance/ownership, and went to his car (for 7 minutes). Came back, and asked me if I knew why he stopped me. I told him that I was doing the limit, and was unsure. He told me that my car is too loud, and that he could have given me a ticket. Then, asked me "how would you like that?"

I asked him how loud the car was, and he replied "loud enough", and asked what I had done to the car. I told him it was stock, 1 week old. and I also asked him how many decibels the car was, and he told me that it was too many.

I wasnt even being loud, and this is starting to happen more often. Is there something I can do? this is my only car, and I havent done anything to it to make it loud.

Sorry for long post, and I respect police officers a lot, but am sick of their discrimination towards young people with nice cars......

Thank our veterans for peace today, Support our troops for peace tomorrow. RIP Dad, 1962-2012 SYOTOS
velocity149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Do you have NPP?
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
Gillis

Drives: Car
I don't know what to say with this story. This goes beyond profiling to harrassment. I believe there's some important facts being left out. Either that or cops in Oshawa Ontario are Nazis.
Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #4
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I'm going to go over this again. It's profiling/harassment after the third baton swing.

I don't know man, don't know anything about cops up there. Down here I've got headers and my fuse pulled and I drive past probably 10 cops a day with no issues. I also drive like an old fart most of the time, that doesn't hurt.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #5
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
Some cops are just jerks. If you've done nothing wrong and your car is stock, you can take his badge # and make a complaint. If they get 3 complaints against them, then the officer has to go to an internal affairs board and start explaining.

I had my '66 Impala in Orange County in the 90's. I remember driving in a rich area in Irvine and getting pulled over. Cop walks up sees me in my shirt and tie and then just says something like nevermind and leaves. I know he was profiling me.

For 1, they have to have a legit reason to pull you over. If they don't, then I say it's profiling. But if they let you go right away without being a smart ass, I'd let it go. Same time, I wouldn't argue with the cop when he stops you... if you're PO'd file a complaint afterwards. I'm sure their department will get the message and stop harassing you.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #6
Skemer
SoCal HT5

Drives: 1lt Victory Red Camaro
Wow u serious? He probably got jelous that you own a badass camaro. But seriously thats nonsence asking you what you did to get a camaro. Wow.
Skemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
K_B_InfernoSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
Some cops are just jerks. If you've done nothing wrong and your car is stock, you can take his badge # and make a complaint. If they get 3 complaints against them, then the officer has to go to an internal affairs board and start explaining.
This is not necessarily true, it would vary from department to department.

Quote:
I had my '66 Impala in Orange County in the 90's. I remember driving in a rich area in Irvine and getting pulled over. Cop walks up sees me in my shirt and tie and then just says something like nevermind and leaves. I know he was profiling me.
He was profiling your car, not you.
K_B_InfernoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #8
45th4ken

Drives: 45th Anniversary
Fortunately in So Cal Camaros are dime a dozen so profiling the car is not existent. Honestly and sadly I see more field workers who are just making ends meet pulled over, you could call that profiling. In general most cops could give a sh** about you and your car. The excuse is were doing you and the public a service by pulling you over. Uh, sure, then let me go with a warning, which very rarely happens. Unless you're female, crying and carrying children. My wife an example back in the day.

OP sorry for all your troubles, the truth is our world Is a daily roller coaster.
45th4ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #9
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
For 1, they have to have a legit reason to pull you over. If they don't, then I say it's profiling. But if they let you go right away without being a smart ass, I'd let it go. Same time, I wouldn't argue with the cop when he stops you... if you're PO'd file a complaint afterwards. I'm sure their department will get the message and stop harassing you.
"A legit reason" is all up to the officers discretion. He could say that he thinks the car is too loud, or it looked like you're speeding, thought he saw a headlight out, your window tint looked too dark. these are all "legit reasons". Kinda hard to argue the officers opinion when it comes to "Do you know why i pulled you over?".

now granted, if its constant and theres nothing more to this story than the OP is telling us...then yea, its a little much i think lol
Old 04-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
I'm young and I have never been pulled over in the 3 years of ownership (knock on wood). Then again, I don't act like a jackass when I'm driving.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
"A legit reason" is all up to the officers discretion. He could say that he thinks the car is too loud, or it looked like you're speeding, thought he saw a headlight out, your window tint looked too dark. these are all "legit reasons". Kinda hard to argue the officers opinion when it comes to "Do you know why i pulled you over?".

now granted, if its constant and theres nothing more to this story than the OP is telling us...then yea, its a little much i think lol
"Legit reason" has to be at least "reasonable suspicion", and that is pretty clearly defined. I have never stopped anyone for loud exhaust in my life, but as an example, last night, I was on the freeway, and a guy went by me doing 90 in a 55, cut me off, then cut off 3 other cars before I caught up to him. I pulled him over and he was drunk, and didn't even see me when he passed me. What I observed gave me more then "reasonable suspicion" since he already committed a criminal act in front of me, so at that I time had probable cause to stop and make an arrest just based on what I saw. The fact that he was drunk once stopped just adds another charge.

Profiling is making a stop based solely on someone's appearance, race, religion, creed etc. However, at times, profiling is appropriate, but it has to be supported by case law, or the criteria used for that specific profiling incident has to be clearly established by current law enforcement standards and practices. For example, especially in AZ, and I'm gonna assume Texas and California, we have the ability to profile people as "Sinaloa Cowboys". If you see a vehicle, occupied by a Hispanic male, with clear indicators of cartel affiliation (Crossed AK47s sticker on the back window, CDS with skull and bones sticker, La Santa Muerte hanging off the rear view etc or a combination of multiple indicators of said affiliation), you can assume that guy is not here to just make a nice living for himself and his family using legal means. Even in that case, we still wait for a traffic violation before a stop is initiated, just due to the fact if anything does come of the stop, it will make for a stronger case in court.

Getting pulled over for a car being too loud is chicken shit and a waste of time. There are worse things going on out there....well maybe not in Canada
Old 04-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #12
Gillis

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
"Legit reason" has to be at least "reasonable suspicion", and that is pretty clearly defined. I have never stopped anyone for loud exhaust in my life, but as an example, last night, I was on the freeway, and a guy went by me doing 90 in a 55, cut me off, then cut off 3 other cars before I caught up to him. I pulled him over and he was drunk, and didn't even see me when he passed me. What I observed gave me more then "reasonable suspicion" since he already committed a criminal act in front of me, so at that I time had probable cause to stop and make an arrest just based on what I saw. The fact that he was drunk once stopped just adds another charge.

Profiling is making a stop based solely on someone's appearance, race, religion, creed etc. However, at times, profiling is appropriate, but it has to be supported by case law, or the criteria used for that specific profiling incident has to be clearly established by current law enforcement standards and practices. For example, especially in AZ, and I'm gonna assume Texas and California, we have the ability to profile people as "Sinaloa Cowboys". If you see a vehicle, occupied by a Hispanic male, with clear indicators of cartel affiliation (Crossed AK47s sticker on the back window, CDS with skull and bones sticker, La Santa Muerte hanging off the rear view etc or a combination of multiple indicators of said affiliation), you can assume that guy is not here to just make a nice living for himself and his family using legal means. Even in that case, we still wait for a traffic violation before a stop is initiated, just due to the fact if anything does come of the stop, it will make for a stronger case in court.

Getting pulled over for a car being too loud is chicken shit and a waste of time. There are worse things going on out there....well maybe not in Canada
What is your view/opinion/personal experience with the "Who's car is this?" "Where are you going?" type of questions? Would you ask these kind of questions or have you ever experienced your fellow officers asking people these kind of questions?
Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #13
K_B_InfernoSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillis View Post
What is your view/opinion/personal experience with the "Who's car is this?" "Where are you going?" type of questions? Would you ask these kind of questions or have you ever experienced your fellow officers asking people these kind of questions?

I ask these sorts of questions all the time. We are stupid with meth out here, so asking simple questions in succession quickly gives us indicators if someone is being honest or not. If the people are coming from out of town to my city, that is odd and makes me press more into their visit. If your answers to our questions make sense and you are honest nothing more comes of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
K_B_InfernoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #14
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
If you get pissed about being pulled over do not drive a camaro at night... Get a honda. Let the police officer do his job and thank him for doing so. Now continue with the internet lawyer debate.