Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Drives: Mostly Stock
So does the extra engine modification class focus heavily on carbs, EFI or try to do both equally? What are you plans when you complete all of your schooling?

From my experience, having a DD/project car in school sounds like a good idea, but not too many guys I went to school with actually had good results though. Mostly was due to empty pockets,no place to work on it and lack of time.
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #16
Lowtan

Drives: Don't have my Camaro YET
Not sure what the engine class focuses on. I did hear that the class is mostly theory with very little hands on. Not what I like but its a good thing to learn regardless. After all my schooling is finished I plan to open a shop with my father. He's going through the same classes as me minus the engine mod class. He knows the stuff but needs the school to get that ASE certification.

I'm pretty sure the shop won't happen right after school. So until it does I want to work in a Chevy dealership. I'll do grunt work if I need to. Just want that experience, get that time under my belt.
Lowtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #17
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Even if it is a lot of theory, it should be an very interesting class, good to see you've got the right attitude for it. Good luck to you and your dad opening a shop when the time comes!

If you're going to focus only focus on Chevy vehicles with you future shop, I'd recommend a dealership. However, since you're going to be fresh out of school, I'd go private repair. They most likely would pay you hourly, techs/owners would teach you things personally if you needed help and you can learn from them a lot of tips that affect small businesses. The biggest things dealership experience helps you with is getting a job at another dealership, which it sounds like you aren't planning on, or being specialized in a certain brand.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #18
Lowtan

Drives: Don't have my Camaro YET
Thanks for the tips!

Corvette update: I walked by after school and saw that the driver side front tire was flat. Wasn't close enough to see if it was slashed or not but in this part of town its highly likely. Didn't want to go in and talk about the car then. Figured it would be a sore subject at this time. Hope it wasn't vandalised though.
Lowtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #19
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

No, now is the perfect time to go talk. You go in and say, walking by and noticed you had a flat. Didn't want you to find out at the end of the day if you didn't know already. Then the guy will go off on a rant about the flat, how it happened or how he thinks it happened. You listen to the rant, and help if you can if you're serious about buying the car. Prove you're a good guy/car guy to the owner, and price neg. will be a lot easier, and he'll tell you more about the history.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #20
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
That model is one of the best looking Corvettes they ever made. I would assume it is worth 18,000 if it just runs at all.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote