Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-27-2018, 10:51 AM   #155
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
You have a useless dealer I must say...Common sense disappears in most service departments. Fixing the issue is never their concern it seems, they just want you to go away. Makes zero sense. I'd order you a new diff and swap it and see if that changes anything, if it does, you know the problem, faulty diff and warranty it. If it's not, likely could work a used part deal and lose minimally. Worth it for keeping such a customer.

Anyways, hope you get this sorted out. Keep us posted. I got on mine yesterday from 0 MPH and from a 50 roll and car drives straight as an arrow, zero wobble, perfectly planted.

How much is a new rear end/diff? Anybody have the part number?
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:51 AM   #156
tomster
RedLine

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
dealer did that no change when it was pulling left I don't know if they tried that now that it pulls right
so what changed that caused the pull to change directions?
2022 GMC 2500 "Blue"
2022 ZL1 1LE 6spd "Rapid Blue"
2023 ZL1 1LE Auto Rapid Blue (ordered)
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:51 AM   #157
jjgi5150

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
Hi all...

Watching this issue closely...and hoping for the best. l haven't experienced any of this...yet, and hoping l don't. l can say l believe that the 3.91/Torsen combo from my '15 Z/28 was a MUCH better setup....

JJ
2023 Hyundai SF Calligraphy
jjgi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:03 AM   #158
itsadryheat79

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE (2)79Z28 72RS 67SS 69Z
Send a message via Yahoo to itsadryheat79
I'm watching this thread closely - with over 10K miles on my ZL1 1LE I don't want it sitting in the dealership while they scratch their head. Been there done that many times - often I go to them with a informed warrantee fix request not a problem. Thanks to all that contribute here!!
Old 04-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #159
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
You have a useless dealer I must say...Common sense disappears in most service departments. Fixing the issue is never their concern it seems, they just want you to go away. Makes zero sense. I'd order you a new diff and swap it and see if that changes anything, if it does, you know the problem, faulty diff and warranty it. If it's not, likely could work a used part deal and lose minimally. Worth it for keeping such a customer.

Anyways, hope you get this sorted out. Keep us posted. I got on mine yesterday from 0 MPH and from a 50 roll and car drives straight as an arrow, zero wobble, perfectly planted.

How much is a new rear end/diff? Anybody have the part number?
I have been involved every step of the way the dealers hands are tied by GM Tech reps and have to follow step by step process of elimination.

I am just venting my frustration as they won't take my word where to look for the problem.

If something is in the top drawer I don't care how hard you look in the bottom drawer you're not going to find it.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:52 AM   #160
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I have been involved every step of the way the dealers hands are tied by GM Tech reps and have to follow step by step process of elimination.

I am just venting my frustration as they won't take my word where to look for the problem.

If something is in the top drawer I don't care how hard you look in the bottom drawer you're not going to find it.

Ted.
My whole family and I own GM dealers. You're getting the rule-book-run-around. Their hands are not tied, the dealer can choose to report whatever they want, and there should be a GM representative out there to verify within days of a reported issue. If that representative shows up and the dealer says "Faulty diff" you'll have a new one in days. Your problem is your dealer isn't saying "faulty diff" or anything it seems, they're just being given the go-around from GM reps who don't want to deal with it. I've had stuff like this before, the owner or general manager of the dealership should be going to bat for you, they know the numbers to the Chevy representatives and regional managers. That's where the real power comes from. They (Dealer executives) should be calling them, telling them they have a high profile customer with a big issue that needs to be resolved. Stuff will start to happen. Service managers are great and all but they usually are just "ok" at walking around and making sure the techs are meeting the labor hours. Not the greatest with communicating with GM.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:05 PM   #161
Johnny Camaro

Drives: 13 ZL1vert,19 ZL1 vert A10 10/24/18
It must be the E dif because I couldn't find any convertible with the same problems, you know why ? Because they don't have the E dif, GM stated that it wouldn't fit in the verts !!
Ordering my new 2019 ZL1 vert.
Johnny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:20 PM   #162
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
My whole family and I own GM dealers. You're getting the rule-book-run-around. Their hands are not tied, the dealer can choose to report whatever they want, and there should be a GM representative out there to verify within days of a reported issue. If that representative shows up and the dealer says "Faulty diff" you'll have a new one in days. Your problem is your dealer isn't saying "faulty diff" or anything it seems, they're just being given the go-around from GM reps who don't want to deal with it. I've had stuff like this before, the owner or general manager of the dealership should be going to bat for you, they know the numbers to the Chevy representatives and regional managers. That's where the real power comes from. They (Dealer executives) should be calling them, telling them they have a high profile customer with a big issue that needs to be resolved. Stuff will start to happen. Service managers are great and all but they usually are just "ok" at walking around and making sure the techs are meeting the labor hours. Not the greatest with communicating with GM.
Thanks for your insight, I will put some pressure on my dealer.

Ted.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #163
Bill_76

Drives: Camaro ZL1 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Camaro View Post
It must be the E dif because I couldn't find any convertible with the same problems, you know why ? Because they don't have the E dif, GM stated that it wouldn't fit in the verts !!
Ordering my new 2019 ZL1 vert.
2018 A10 and the same in situations under full throttle it moves the front to left, not a comfortable situation, I hope someone can get the solution
Bill_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #164
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_76 View Post
2018 A10 and the same in situations under full throttle it moves the front to left, not a comfortable situation, I hope someone can get the solution
Mine goes right on mid throttle.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:37 PM   #165
rjacobs

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I hope GM can help you. But I wonder if making the Ediff standard on the ZL1 was a good idea. I want that 40 pounds back. Most of us do not have skill or will ever learn to drive the ZL1 @ 8-9/10s on a race track to realize the benefit of the diff. The diff makes good sense on the ZLE

My theory is the SS diff is just as strong as the ZL1 version. What do you think Ted? If mine acts up after the warranty I would look into the SS diff.
The SS diff is WAY WAY smaller than the ZL1 diff. I also believe its 100% aluminum where as the ZL1 diff is nodular iron(at least the center section is). There is no way the SS differential is as strong as the ZL1 piece.

The actual ELSD portion of the diff is a small box that hangs off the back to command hydraulic fluid into the ELSD actuator. The ELSD does NOT add 40lbs to the car...the nodular iron center section that is WAY WAY beefier than the SS parts adds the weight.

AND I can almost guarantee without the ELSD present the car will obviously throw a bunch of error codes and the stabilitrak may or may not operate correctly since its missing the ability to control the rear diff.
rjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:39 PM   #166
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
The SS diff is WAY WAY smaller than the ZL1 diff. I also believe its 100% aluminum where as the ZL1 diff is nodular iron(at least the center section is). There is no way the SS differential is as strong as the ZL1 piece.

The actual ELSD portion of the diff is a small box that hangs off the back to command hydraulic fluid into the ELSD actuator. The ELSD does NOT add 40lbs to the car...the nodular iron center section that is WAY WAY beefier than the SS parts adds the weight.

AND I can almost guarantee without the ELSD present the car will obviously throw a bunch of error codes and the stabilitrak may or may not operate correctly since its missing the ability to control the rear diff.
I agree.

One thought, though......someone clever might be able to convince the car it's a convertible...
Old 04-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #167
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
I would think the Christmas lights would light up fast. No?
sure...but it certainly will give some clues to if the e-diff is to blame
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:31 PM   #168
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I agree.

One thought, though......someone clever might be able to convince the car it's a convertible...

Following this thread closely.