Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 11-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #1
lgxvertowner

Drives: Black 1ss Convertible
Making V6 as loud as possible

Hello, as the title suggests I am wondering the most cost effective way to make the v6 louder. I have pulled the NPP fuse and it is quite loud but I would like louder. I have heard the Borla Atak is a good route to go but have not found good footage comparing that with the Fuse pulled v6. Thanks in advance.
lgxvertowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #2
keysersoze

Drives: 16 Camaro
straight pipe it
keysersoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #3
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgxvertowner View Post
Hello, as the title suggests I am wondering the most cost effective way to make the v6 louder. I have pulled the NPP fuse and it is quite loud but I would like louder. I have heard the Borla Atak is a good route to go but have not found good footage comparing that with the Fuse pulled v6. Thanks in advance.
You bought NPP and want to buy a Borla instead? I personally wouldn’t waste my money but I guess if you want to. I highly doubt the Borla is going to be any louder, you’re just replacing a muffler with a muffler and Borla makes the NPP exhaust as far as I remember. I’d probably start with deleting the secondary cats and seeing how much volume that gives you. If that isn’t good enough just chop off the muffler and straight pipe it.

My personal feelin is it’s a V6 it’s not supposed to be loud. If it is it usually sounds like total crap, just a loud single droning tone.
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:01 AM   #4
dgriff14
waddupdgriff

Drives: Supercharged 2016 2LT RS
I have the Borla Atak, and I'm very happy with it. The cold start is significantly louder, and when you get on it it's much louder and aggressive. However, the idle isn't too much louder. It is deeper though. I want mine to be a lbit louder too, but idk if I want to sacrifice having no drone for loudness by deleting the 2nd cats.
dgriff14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #5
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Add more power to it. Most people rule out this option because it takes work.

Power makes noise, noise doesnt really make power.

If you just want a loud obnoxious car with drone and have most look at you like the car is broken. Just start cutting out mufflers, resonators, and next cats and replace it with straight pipes until you get to desired loudness.

If you prefer use of mufflers, the borla attak is cool. Mrt has a good setup as well as magnaflow.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #6
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Add more power to it. Most people rule out this option because it takes work.

Power makes noise, noise doesnt really make power.

If you just want a loud obnoxious car with drone and have most look at you like the car is broken. Just start cutting out mufflers, resonators, and next cats and replace it with straight pipes until you get to desired loudness.

If you prefer use of mufflers, the borla attak is cool. Mrt has a good setup as well as magnaflow.
How much louder is the V6 when supercharged?

I love my car but I want some rumble. I have considered trading for an SS but I love my car, and I'm not trying to be the fastest car on the street. I just want to entertain myself. Thinking maybe in spring I will drive down to Overkill. I also love to mod my vehicles, i have a diesel truck running on waste veggie oil and water/meth. So I am having trouble deciding which way to go.

My options are : a) supercharge my V6, b) trade for an SS, c) keep my V6 and buy a 5th gen to mod and maybe track.

PP what's your opinion please?
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:13 PM   #7
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
How much louder is the V6 when supercharged?

I love my car but I want some rumble. I have considered trading for an SS but I love my car, and I'm not trying to be the fastest car on the street. I just want to entertain myself. Thinking maybe in spring I will drive down to Overkill. I also love to mod my vehicles, i have a diesel truck running on waste veggie oil and water/meth. So I am having trouble deciding which way to go.

My options are : a) supercharge my V6, b) trade for an SS, c) keep my V6 and buy a 5th gen to mod and maybe track.

PP what's your opinion please?

dustya can prob comment more on that, as I believe its installed on his. Storm, is also on the forums and has it. I've also seen a Benjamin and a Bradley that have it on the 6th gen Camaro FB site.

while I'm not huge on youtube vids....
that's a stage 2. its the blue one of I think 3 that have been posted. Drive by:

Just remember, your computer speakers or the mic used are prob not as HD as possible. so sound quality is most always lost. sounds decently loud to me though. and naturally, with more power, you have bite to back up the bark.

Honest, i'd see where ya at , and how ya feel about it by spring. the winter gives anyone lots of time to weigh options, and possibly come up with a solution that fits you. worst comes to worst, during the winter, you can save up the loot you need to trade up, or mod up. so come spring, you're set.

I always advise people to first factor in their MAIN GOAL before throwing money at any mods.

where do you feel "entertaining yourself" falls into (track, quick street, drag, etc)? that's mostly where you'll know where to go, once you settle on that.

one thing I will note, the suspension and drivetrain are surely a step up from the 5th gen....a 5th gen surely can be competitive, no doubt. but unless you opt for the additional 2 cylinders 5th gen offering, you'll be taking a step back performance wise, before you move forward to surpass a 6th gen. mostly, the lighter platform and transmission gearing, etc...

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 11-07-2017, 06:20 PM   #8
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
.a 5th gen surely can be competitive, no doubt. but unless you opt for the additional 2 cylinders 5th gen offering, you'll be taking a step back performance wise, before you move forward to surpass a 6th gen. mostly, the lighter platform and transmission gearing, etc...
Yes I would definitely get a 5th gen SS to mod. They are ridiculously cheap. I've seen them with under 50,000 miles for $15,000.

Entertaining myself is being quick on the street and if I did get a 5th gen SS, it would be for track or drag.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #9
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Just buy a V8, you’ll never get the rumble you desire out of a V6. I’ve been there, a V6 is a V6.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:28 PM   #10
Reximus

Drives: 2lt rs lgx
Quote:
dustya can prob comment more on that, as I believe its installed on his. Storm, is also on the forums and has it. I've also seen a Benjamin and a Bradley that have it on the 6th gen Camaro FB site.

while I'm not huge on youtube vids....
that's a stage 2. its the blue one of I think 3 that have been posted. Drive by:

Just remember, your computer speakers or the mic used are prob not as HD as possible. so sound quality is most always lost. sounds decently loud to me though. and naturally, with more power, you have bite to back up the bark.

Honest, i'd see where ya at , and how ya feel about it by spring. the winter gives anyone lots of time to weigh options, and possibly come up with a solution that fits you. worst comes to worst, during the winter, you can save up the loot you need to trade up, or mod up. so come spring, you're set.

I always advise people to first factor in their MAIN GOAL before throwing money at any mods.

where do you feel "entertaining yourself" falls into (track, quick street, drag, etc)? that's mostly where you'll know where to go, once you settle on that.

one thing I will note, the suspension and drivetrain are surely a step up from the 5th gen....a 5th gen surely can be competitive, no doubt. but unless you opt for the additional 2 cylinders 5th gen offering, you'll be taking a step back performance wise, before you move forward to surpass a 6th gen. mostly, the lighter platform and transmission gearing, etc...
something to keep in mind, that particular v6 has the catback mbrp exhaust for the v8. One of the reasons why his exhaust sounds more distinct and aggressive.
Reximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:10 AM   #11
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reximus View Post
something to keep in mind, that particular v6 has the catback mbrp exhaust for the v8. One of the reasons why his exhaust sounds more distinct and aggressive.
I wouldnt expect anything less. Once you boost a car a n/a setup for that engines natual ability isnt the most optimal most times. More than naught boost actually puts volumetric efficiency numbers OVER 100%

Thats why you see alot of s/c and turbo cars running 3 inch exhaust on avg.

The ss v8 exhaust in stock form is 2.75.

Ours is 2.25. So once you add a supercharger/boost, its a given its beneficial to go to an exahust that allows you to flow as much as you put in the engine, out the engine.

In human terms think of it as however much you eat, make sure your backside is capable of expelling it. Constipation is just another word for restriction.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:51 AM   #12
dinosaur13

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS
My current setup is the Borla ATAK NPP (w/ Valves), removed the secondary cats and place a x-pipe where the resonator used to be. ZERO DRONE. No CEL. It is unbelievably loud.

It costs $220 to remove the cats and for the xpipe and around $1800 for the ATAK.
dinosaur13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #13
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur13 View Post
My current setup is the Borla ATAK NPP (w/ Valves), removed the secondary cats and place a x-pipe where the resonator used to be. ZERO DRONE. No CEL. It is unbelievably loud.

It costs $220 to remove the cats and for the xpipe and around $1800 for the ATAK.
Post a video
Old 11-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #14
MyneS
STORM

Drives: 2021 Satin Steel Metallic 2SS
So I’m running the Stage 1 Overkill Supercharger w stock NPP. It sounds good to me when I get on it.
Here’s a video of Will’s latest tune:

https://youtu.be/35Qn69L7wes

Check out: The creation of STORM
American Authority Front Bumper, ACS Rockers, GM Dark taillights, ZL1 Carbon Fiber interior dash, Engine Bay “red hot” Dress Up, 6LE Skorpion hood, Borla ATAK w Xpipes (TRADED)
MyneS is offline   Reply With Quote