Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-24-2016, 07:11 AM   #1
The_Driver
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
AFM in the new LGX A8....

If you read the forums about how people felt about the L99 with AFM, it seems a lot of owners disliked it. However, since that was a fairly large displacement V8, how well does the smaller displacement 3.6L V6 LGX handle it?

In other words, is it something that you would like to disable in the future?
The_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:31 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
It works fine, but Google range AFM if you want to get rid of it...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
I don't think I wanna disable it fully per say. It helps with startup and getting to operating temps quick. For myself, in the winter, that will be a welcome addition.

Once they open up, it's cool as far as less restrictive goes.

Just read some info on the crimped pipes... apparently they flow the same from mishimoto testing on the dyno. Wondering if the second cats keep the flow hot enough to keep the flow and velocity up...

Outside of that, just need the basic boltons parts and a tune

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 06-24-2016 at 11:32 AM.
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:47 PM   #4
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
trifecta tune gives you the option to disable it in sport mode and have it available in the other modes.

You dont really notice V4 mode, at least with stock exhaust, since exhaust noise is minimal when cruising at the speeds that the cylinder deactivation occurs.

You will notice the difference in fuel saving if you do a lot of highway driving. City tends to put your engine in all the ranges that V4 will not activate so you probably wont notice any difference there.

Curiously, it doesn't activate at all when just idling. Guess there's a reason for that but meh. I like the Trifecta option. Best of both worlds.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:08 PM   #5
bdar66

Drives: 2016 camaro lt2 rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
trifecta tune gives you the option to disable it in sport mode and have it available in the other modes.

You dont really notice V4 mode, at least with stock exhaust, since exhaust noise is minimal when cruising at the speeds that the cylinder deactivation occurs.

You will notice the difference in fuel saving if you do a lot of highway driving. City tends to put your engine in all the ranges that V4 will not activate so you probably wont notice any difference there.

Curiously, it doesn't activate at all when just idling. Guess there's a reason for that but meh. I like the Trifecta option. Best of both worlds.
side note do you have the tune?
bdar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:30 PM   #6
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdar66 View Post
side note do you have the tune?
yes. Been driving around with it for around a month now.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:05 PM   #7
csulto

Drives: Car
Quote:
yes. Been driving around with it for around a month now.
I am curious, but how do you like the Trifecta tune now a year after this post? Did you notice much difference? Do you still consider it worthwhile?
csulto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #8
cellsafemode

I have no way of really comparing it to a stock V6 since i've had the tune for so long and I dont know anyone else around me with one. It's been performing very well and it either works or it forces me to drive very aggressively all the time.

If you're not going to get professionally dyno-tuned or if you're not gonna get the supercharger setup then I'd say go for it.

It will be noticeable. Just how noticeable I can't really tell. I only had the car with the stock tune for maybe a couple months at most. K&N had my car for basically the first month i owned it.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:37 AM   #9
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
I want to add something that most of you probably never really knew... Both the 3.6L V6 and the 6.2L V8 make the exact same HP per cylinder. In other words, It will feel EXACTLY the same between a V8 and a V6 once in V4 mode.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #10
cellsafemode

That shouldn't be too much of a problem since it only activates when engine load is extremely low and switching between is very fast. Though probably less smooth for gaining 4 cylinders than for gaining 2.

So you can't really feel anything in terms of power when in v4 mode because any attempt to accelerate to feel the difference will knock you out of v4 mode.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #11
Natro33

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT2 v6 A8
feedback to AL

for those that were in on this thread, please +1 on this one in the feedback to AL forum, thanks. we need more light on this

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510888
Natro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:50 AM   #12
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natro33 View Post
for those that were in on this thread, please +1 on this one in the feedback to AL forum, thanks. we need more light on this

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510888
the A8 for the V8 is not the same as the one in the V6. Are people in the V6 feeling this issue?

my AFM seems to be working perfectly fine with over 1.5 years in.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:03 PM   #13
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
the A8 for the V8 is not the same as the one in the V6. Are people in the V6 feeling this issue?

Only 3 months and less than 1000 miles in, but it works perfectly with my A8 V6. The other day I deliberately watched and triggered V4 <-> V6 transitions for a few minutes, and they were all smooth, noticeable only when someone is actively listening (and even then it might have been placebo, since I also watched the display change to make sure the transitions did happen).

If there are any general issues with the A8 V6 AFM, they probably need more miles to develop and/or surface.
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:09 PM   #14
Natro33

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT2 v6 A8
Quote:

That's probably because you have a trifecta tune. Trifecta improved tcc slip tables. Yes, folks with the lgx are having this issue. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on trifecta
Natro33 is offline   Reply With Quote