Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 11-10-2017, 11:00 PM   #1
Cameron27

Drives: 2015 2SS
V6 owners with good ears: How much unwanted 'normal' engine noises do you get?

. in terms of performance.

Last edited by Cameron27; 06-06-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Cameron27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #2
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron27 View Post
I'm wondering what engine noises you get, that you live with as normal.

I've asked about these before, but I've driven the car longer now, and can describe them better. I'm wondering if any are worth bringing up at my next appointment.

Specifically I get:

- The direct injection tick sound when it's cold, while car is warming up, for about 3 minutes. Sounds normal to me. Curious if this happens with others?
- Another sound which I've been told is the direct injection, but I'm curious how that's possible as it's different from the tick. It sounds like it originates from one of the two left air vents. The sound is precisely like if the car had a long thick metal tube, and someone was pouring at a slow rate coarse sand down the metal tube. Occurs when on throttle, can't hear if windows are down, if music is on, or if revs get loud enough, but easily hear it when driving at a moderate pace.
- This one isn't a sound, but engine vibrations. How much vibration do you get at idle after driving for a couple minutes, sitting at a stop light? I get a small amount. Almost identical amount to a well kept '06 Acura a family member drives, the car has a comparable v6 engine in terms of performance.

the vibrations vary a bit, and vary in different weather conditions. but its a rotating engine, so I chalk it up to that factor. until we go full electric, anything with a rotating assembly is gonna have some vibration. the other option is to get motor mounts made (cause stock is what we currently have) that have a lower durometer bushing, or adapt gel filled unit from a luxury car. this obviously will be a decent amount of cash doing so.... and more flex in the drivetrain is less performance to the wheels.

the drivetrain tick, normal. keeping the injectors cleaned and lubricated as it states in the owners manual with occasional fuel injector cleaner helps.

the other thing may be the sound tube...

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

I've asked about these before, but I've driven the car longer now, and can describe them better. I'm wondering if any are worth bringing up at my next appointment.

Specifically I get:

- The direct injection tick sound when it's cold, while car is warming up, for about 3 minutes. Sounds normal to me. Curious if this happens with others?
- Another sound which I've been told is the direct injection, but I'm curious how that's possible as it's different from the tick. It sounds like it originates from one of the two left air vents. The sound is precisely like if the car had a long thick metal tube, and someone was pouring at a slow rate coarse sand down the metal tube. Occurs when on throttle, can't hear if windows are down, if music is on, or if revs get loud enough, but easily hear it when driving at a moderate pace.
- This one isn't a sound, but engine vibrations. How much vibration do you get at idle after driving for a couple minutes, sitting at a stop light? I get a small amount. Almost identical amount to a well kept '06 Acura a family member drives, the car has a comparable v6 engine in terms of performance.
These are all very similar to what I hear on mine and consider them normal.

The vibration is also nothing out of the ordinary, we have a Traverse as a family car, and I'd say the idle vibration in the Camaro is marginally more tangible, but it's low amplitude with no annoying eigenfrequency resonances. But hey, it's a sports car after all, it's gotta have more noise than a luxury sedan and not just at the exhaust, heh.

I also still have a very faint gurgling noise at 40+ mph, but it's probably coming from the driver side mirror and not the engine, as some manual fixing around the mirror body helped reduce it.
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:43 PM   #4
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:

Specifically I get:

Remove the sound tube and seal up the intake hole left behind and seal up where you detach it from the firewall. I have a manual V6, no vibrations at all, smooth as a you know what. I even have all the covers off the intake and the insulation, no undesirable noise and I have a critical ear.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #5
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
I haven't noticed any of this in my car either.
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:49 PM   #6
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post

X2
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #7
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post

x3

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:02 PM   #8
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack46 View Post
x3

X4
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:15 AM   #9
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
As a vert owner all I hear is the wind on my almost nonexsiting hair. That plus music blasting.
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote