#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #43
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
Thank you for your support. This system will be a game changer.
Hmmmm "game changer"

Can't wait... Not buying a intake until I see yours....

-Bobby
Old 08-28-2017, 03:40 PM   #44
djfury05

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
Thank you for your support. This system will be a game changer.
What's taking so long? You're pretty late to the party.
djfury05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:11 AM   #45
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Rotofab and Cold A. I. are y'all leaving HP on the table by not increasing the so called cold air scoop that feeds fresh air or the term ram air to the stock or after market box?

Clearly that little slot can't supply enough "cold air" on a 362 CU motor added with 1.7 cubes from blower?

I have no doubts at all they add power but it seems they are designed more towards aesthetics..

I remember the old days of GEN IV of cutting the lower portion of your box adding a RAM air scoop, and a K&N filter..

looks like you have done the leg work to where the box can supply the motor but nothing to increase cooler air?

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #46
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1z350 View Post
The thing I like about the other roto fab intakes is the sealed system the lid and not cheap looking wall trying to seal to the hood like the k&n or air aid style from the trucks. Now they run exactly that and airaid/Holley/afe are enclosed systems and honestly for the money spent looks like they spent more time designing them. I haven't seen numbers on them all yet so maybe the open just works better on this car. I know on my supercharged tahoe the volant which is enclosed made the most power out of like 12 systems they tested and was one of the only that had a lid and kept iat down. So will be curious to see what this cai design is if it's as good as they claim. Out of the ones available the afe looks pretty good and on the ss it made 10 hp and 12 tq across the whole board not just peak where others on the ss were lucky to see 2 hp on a lot of other tests. So the afe could be promising on this car too if they design one specific to the zl1.

Many people like the look of an enclosed air box with a lid, but we only use that type of design when we can't effectively seal to the hood.

A system that seals to the hood makes use of all of the space possible, while maximizing the air box volume around the filter. Our ZL1 air filter comes within a half inch of the hood. If we added a lid to that intake design, we would have no choice but to use a smaller filter, which would compromise the performance of the system.
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:36 AM   #47
Roto-fab 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
Rotofab and Cold A. I. are y'all leaving HP on the table by not increasing the so called cold air scoop that feeds fresh air or the term ram air to the stock or after market box?

Clearly that little slot can't supply enough "cold air" on a 362 CU motor added with 1.7 cubes from blower?

I have no doubts at all they add power but it seems they are designed more towards aesthetics..

I remember the old days of GEN IV of cutting the lower portion of your box adding a RAM air scoop, and a K&N filter..

looks like you have done the leg work to where the box can supply the motor but nothing to increase cooler air?
That is a great question!

This is not to say that there is no benefit to an air scoop mod on the 6th gen Camaro, however we have seen outstanding gains while utilizing the stock scoop. Our Camaro SS CAI has put down multiple gains of 40 hp on highly modified Camaros, while our ZL1 CAI gained 26 hp on our otherwise stock ZL1!

So there may be some benefit to an OEM scoop mod, but we chose to leave it as is for ease of installation. If you do wish to change or replace the OEM scoop to explore any possible gains, that would definitely be possible with the Roto-fab CAI
Old 10-01-2017, 02:03 PM   #48
FASTNUF

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 White Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post

I believe you mentioned on another post that you are helping Vararam with testing of theirs which make me wonder if this is why you stated above? BTW, I agree with your statements. On my C6 vette, Vararam had a system like you describe above and it required tuning as well as notorious of sucking water into the intake area, so it would trigger the ECU. I'm sure people will state otherwise, just speaking from my experience and a few buddies that had similar experiences only. Due to this, I ended up buying a Halltech as it didn't require a tune or trigger anything. I realize that the trade off is that if you want to tune, you will obviously get more performance. I don't, I just want a better and easier to service intake than stock.

My belief is that Roto Fab, K&N and others that advertise no tune required meets the demand from the masses out there. Whether or not a dealer will void warranty for a CAI, I find that they usually let that slide, but if you perform a tune, you stand a extremely high chance of voided warranties from my experience.
The best thing is that we all will have choices and sure, there will be favorites too. Each has their pros & cons, lets all be glad that we have choices from manufacturers willing to perform the expensive R&D it takes...still in the market for a CAI and I can wait to see what others come out with before diving in.

BTW, nice rides! My 16 Z06 was Corvette Racing Yellow and it was rare to see another one (Z06) of the same color around H-Town, I wanted a yellow ZL1 Vert, but could not find one at the time I bought my white one.
FASTNUF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:12 PM   #49
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Interesting discussion and debate. Subscribed.

I truly appreciate the manufacturers chiming in. I also appreciate the opinions of members that are running various CAI's with and w/o TB's. Thanks.

I will be in the market for a CAI in the next few weeks. My plan is to install CAI with a ported TB with no tune. Also looking at catch cans. No other mods planned until broken in and I have run the car for a while.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #50
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTNUF View Post
I believe you mentioned on another post that you are helping Vararam with testing of theirs which make me wonder if this is why you stated above? BTW, I agree with your statements. On my C6 vette, Vararam had a system like you describe above and it required tuning as well as notorious of sucking water into the intake area, so it would trigger the ECU. I'm sure people will state otherwise, just speaking from my experience and a few buddies that had similar experiences only. Due to this, I ended up buying a Halltech as it didn't require a tune or trigger anything. I realize that the trade off is that if you want to tune, you will obviously get more performance. I don't, I just want a better and easier to service intake than stock.

My belief is that Roto Fab, K&N and others that advertise no tune required meets the demand from the masses out there. Whether or not a dealer will void warranty for a CAI, I find that they usually let that slide, but if you perform a tune, you stand a extremely high chance of voided warranties from my experience.
The best thing is that we all will have choices and sure, there will be favorites too. Each has their pros & cons, lets all be glad that we have choices from manufacturers willing to perform the expensive R&D it takes...still in the market for a CAI and I can wait to see what others come out with before diving in.

BTW, nice rides! My 16 Z06 was Corvette Racing Yellow and it was rare to see another one (Z06) of the same color around H-Town, I wanted a yellow ZL1 Vert, but could not find one at the time I bought my white one.

Exactly Patrick at vararam really got me thinking and his explanations of why and how these work and under sized boxes and feed scoops makes sense especially since he has the data to back it..

I realize its just a filter but any real or extra hp that can be gained is very welcome!

Yes I asked about warranty he is very cautious to where and how the MAF is located and readings it looks for. A general rule of thumb would be take it of before visiting the dealer for any type of work.

These are cramped compartments there is not a lot room to do much water could be a problem especially in Houston..

But unless i'm stuck in the rain by a freak accident my car never goes in the rain I think our SS was in the rain 1 time on the way to All Girls Garage to film the show. The tires are so wide I don't care how good rain channels are anyone that goes over 45 with these cars in the rain are idiots.. personally I hate cleaning my car another reason I don't drive but some don't have other vehicles I get it.

I fly electric ducted fans.. the fan units a have lip.. wonder way no ones made a lip for the TB yet. that would be the best source to feed the motor..

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:38 PM   #51
Harry320

Drives: 2017 Camaro Zl1
This is a real question for you guys. If there is HP and torque gain from a modified air box,(C AI)why doesn’t the manufacturer just do this? This seems like inexpensive hp for the car markers if this truly works. The big 3 are in a horsepower war after all.
Harry320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #52
67Builder
White knuckled & smiling

Drives: '17 ZL1 AKA Perfection!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry320 View Post
This is a real question for you guys. If there is HP and torque gain from a modified air box,(C AI)why doesn’t the manufacturer just do this? This seems like inexpensive hp for the car markers if this truly works. The big 3 are in a horsepower war after all.
The factory likes to run the cars a little on the rich side because richer is safer. Most gains from new intakes are due to the volume of additional air essentially leaning the mixture out a tad. The big 3 all have an AFR number they use as a safe place. That number isn't a performance metric for them, it's more of a how much horsepower is enough vs. how many engines problems could come in if they tuned it a little stronger.
6000 - 04/05/2017 - Delivered!
67Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:18 PM   #53
Harry320

Drives: 2017 Camaro Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Builder View Post
The factory likes to run the cars a little on the rich side because richer is safer. Most gains from new intakes are due to the volume of additional air essentially leaning the mixture out a tad. The big 3 all have an AFR number they use as a safe place. That number isn't a performance metric for them, it's more of a how much horsepower is enough vs. how many engines problems could come in if they tuned it a little stronger.
Thanks for the reply. I know your right about the gain versus warranty claim/ reliability.
If you moved more air would the system not just sense the increased mass air flow and become more rich?
Or is this why tunes are done because factory limits will not be enough?
Thx
Harry320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:14 PM   #54
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
As far as catch can I spoke with Tracy directly and said the clean side of the stock setup works very well. If haven't really looked it does have some what of a system. It's the dirty side that needs the catch. In order to do that you have to remove the supercharger to get to the fitting under it which again the warranty thing. I have 1000 miles on mine now and no oil in intake yet so hopeful it doesn't get bad like many other vehicles I have owned. Those that have questions on it just email Tracy Lewis and he will be more then glad to speak to you about how his system works. I know if I have to pull my supercharger even just lift it up to get to it I am going to want to pull it completely and port it and change a pulley lol so for now it stays in place.
The fact you can easily remove a cold air or potted throttle body before heading to the dealership for service is why I wouldn't even chance it and let them know was on the car. Yes it sucks but better safe then sorry when comes to warranty and maybe your going I for a big they all have say a sensor issue or trans delay something totally unrelated to your mods but why chance them voiding it. Why I had a second tuned computer for one of my other cars and swapped them on trips to the dealership. Nothing a mdi2 can't take care of but that's for another thread. Lol
Thanks for your response and for the the warranty and cc info.
I'm mostly concerned about gumming up intake, intercooler and intake valves long term. I was not aware that I had to remove the supercharger to catch the dirty side. To me that is not worth the risk to voiding my warranty.
I'll shoot Tracy an email.
Thanks again, I appreciate your insight.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #55
Roto-fab 1

Quote:
So on 8-14 they say 45 days it's now 10-16 and was just told another two weeks for it. No pictures no claims not a shred of info. Sounds like just dragging feet now as they cannot get it right or would have seen something and this date not keep getting longer. Done waiting as I had said I bet rotofab put it right on edge of where a tune would be needed. I will have one on mine for the pony wars event in Georgia this coming weekend. Just going to find the best deal from a vendor now as so many are selling it.
First, thanks for your interest in our CAI! As you can see below the dyno graph, the AFR with our intake runs very close to that of the stock intake. This is a detail that is often left out during cold air intake testing and discussion, however we feel it is very important to show our customers that they can safely and confidently run our CAI on their stock calibration.

With that said, our intakes also put down huge gains on highly modified cars! We have seen 40 HP gains on multiple FI 6th gen builds.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:16 PM   #56
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
I took my Rotofab CAI off, and put the stock air box back on. I loved the whine of the supercharger, but I’ve always had a stumble off idle that makes low speed acceleration annoying. I put the stock air box on, and the throttle response goes back to normal. I’m not willing to throw the warranty out by tuning it. I got one for sale, if anybody wants one.