Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
You say there are no dumb questions.......

So here you go.... What is the difference in disconnecting the negative battery cable as opposed to disconnecting the positive battery cable?
Wouldn't unhooking either accomplish the same thing? In reference to mods on our cars.
thanks in advance
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
By unhooking just the negative cable you risk accidentally grounding to something else... so now everything is alive again. Unhook the positive cable and there is no chance of that.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
By unhooking just the negative cable you risk accidentally grounding to something else... so now everything is alive again. Unhook the positive cable and there is no chance of that.
I'm not arguing your point, but why do most instructions for things say "disconnect negative cable"?
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
10forty2

Drives: 1992 Chevy K5 Blazer
By disconnecting the negative cable, you don't stand the risk of striking a ground with your metal wrench or pliers while touching the positive post, thereby causing an arc and/or shorting out electronics and possibly even starting a fire.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
twmotox

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT RS
It honestly makes no difference but I think the reason is so that when you are removing the cable if you use the negative side it wont matter if you strike your wrench on something
Old 11-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
bhall82
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10forty2 View Post
By disconnecting the negative cable, you don't stand the risk of striking a ground with your metal wrench or pliers while touching the positive post, thereby causing an arc and/or shorting out electronics and possibly even starting a fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twmotox View Post
It honestly makes no difference but I think the reason is so that when you are removing the cable if you use the negative side it wont matter if you strike your wrench on something

THIS
bhall82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Oh, I kind of misunderstood your question.

Beats me .

I always disconnect both. I never even notice they tell you just disconnect the negative. If you do just disconnect the negative, wrap it in a rag or something so it can't end up touching a body panel or trunk floor or whatever.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by twmotox View Post
It makes a HUGE difference! If the neg is still attached and you have a tool on the positive side if you touch any grounded metal while the tool is touching the positive lead you will be putting a dead short across the battery and it will blow/melt the end of the tool off and scare the ever lovin' XXXX out of you. ALWAYS remove the negative first so if you slip on the positive no circuit can be completed and no tools melted or battery fires/explosions started.

Once watched a guy instantly melt off half of the end of a pry-bar this way, molten metal and sparks shooting everywhere. Whole lot of current in a car battery!

http://askville.amazon.com/dangerous...uestId=4217899

"You mentioned the danger of a wrench or other short circuit across the battery terminals. This is a real danger. Car batteries have tremendous current capabilities, and a short circuit can produce a huge, white-hot electric arc. It's hot enough to melt steel and inflict severe burns, and to set the car on fire. Always use caution when working with metal tools around the battery. If you must work on it, disconnect the negative (ground) cable first, so that the positive terminal no longer has potential to the vehicle ground. It is not dangerous to touch the positive terminal with your bare skin, because 12V is not a hazardous voltage. But it is made of lead, which is not good to touch if you can avoid it."

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 11-29-2012 at 10:31 AM.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
If you do just disconnect the negative, wrap it in a rag or something so it can't end up touching a body panel or trunk floor or whatever.

The negative battery cable is already bolted to the engine block and all sheetmetal in the car. Won't hurt if it touches anything since it's already connected electrically to them.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
Caswell239

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
You unbolt the negative because web you go it with a positive, there's a little spark when it makes contact which could cause the battery to explode because the gasses it vents off. Our cars having it in the trunk have to have the battery vented to outside so there won't be any gasses just laying around as compared to a vehicle with one under the hood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapat
Caswell239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Agreeing with most on here, that it mostly has to do with the act of removal of ONE terminal clamp: While doing so, the wrench might touch something else, and performing the clamp removal on the negative terminal poses only the very slight risk of touching the positive terminal. If you are disconnecting the positive terminal first, touching just about anything else on the car will cause the fireworks. (And the fireworks is what causes battery explosions, if there is any leakage of gasses from the battery (sparks are the ignition source). I've seen it happen a couple of times, and an exploding car battery ain't no joke... I saw shrapnel bash the inside of a Mercedes hood out to the point of being unrepairable. Just the idea of acid flying everywhere is scary, too... had a battery explode in a John Deere lawnmower one day, and in addition to the shell shock, it destroyed all of the clothing I was wearing... ate holes through everything).
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #12
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
You're better off removing the negative terminal, then removing the positive terminal, then removing the battery from the car and setting it a safe distance (50-ish feet) away from whatever you plan on working on.

Better safe than sorry

Said with a not-so-straight face...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #13
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
a few years ago, I made the mistake of trying to take the positive off first (not thinking), and my wrench just barely tapped my aluminum radiator. Nothing horrible happened because it was an extremely slight tap. But it scared the **** out of me, jolted my hand a bit. And I had to explain why there was a discolored little spot on the radiator when I sold the car. Learned my lesson to always keep my head in the game when working with electricity...
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #14
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
I left a small silver ring welded to the engine block of a 1980 Chevy Monza that I was attempting to adjust the distributor on...got the wrench across the wrong thing..
Yeah, scares the s#!t out of you and burns like hell.

Had to reach in with the other hand and cut the ring with side cutters...that was fun.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote