Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
How To Detail and Protect Your Fabric Top with RaggTopp

The sun on your body, the wind in your hair. Driving a convertible is the ultimate in motoring freedom... When the sun becomes hidden behind ominous clouds or the temperature is too cold to enjoy we rely on that top for protection from the elements. But what is protecting your top from them?

A quick drive around a parking lot quickly reveals that answer: In most cases nothing is protecting the top as the majority are stained, soiled, or faded.

Proper car care involves proper detailing on your convertiable top, to keep it looking great and to keep it protecting you.

A Clean Top Is a Happy Top

The first step in extending the life of your top is to keep it clean. Wash your top with when you wash your paint using the same quality car soap, wash mitt, and dry with a high quality microfiber towel by blotting surface. If your car has been sitting for a while with the top up and it is covered in dust, dirt, or grime, it is a good idea to give the top a light vacuum before putting it down.

The reason to keep the top clean is because dirt and grit are abrasive. As the top is opened and closed any dirt on the surface will act as a fine sandpaper which, overtime, will fray and wear the surface. Keep your top clean to keep it happy!

Regular Washing Isn't Enough

Just like your paint requires additional deep-cleaning to remove what regular car soaps won't you fabric top requires specialized cleaning to remove heavy soiling, road soot, and stains.

With paint we use clay part or light polish to ensure it is perfectly clean. With a fabric top you need a specialized fabric cleaner, and one of the best on the market is RaggTopp Fabric and Vinyl Convertible Top Cleaner.

RaggTopp Convertible Top Cleaner safely removes tough soiling and mild mildew stains quickly.

It is a good idea to wash your top using RaggTopp Convertible Top Cleaner when you plan on washing the rest of your automobile. This way you can wash off the residue completely. It only takes a few extra minutes to use.

Start by rinsing the top thoroughly to remove any loose soiling and debris. Then spray RaggTopp Convertible Top Cleaner on to the top in even motions.

Use a soft brush to spread and lightly agitate the cleaner until it foams. You can use a Natural Horse Hair Brush or my personal favorite, the Montana Boar's Hair Brush. You don't want to use a stiff brush that will fray the fabric and give it a fuzzy appearance.

Continue brushing over the whole top. Any areas with clean will immediately foam.

Any 'bald' spots that don't foam haven't received enough cleaner.

Mist a little more RaggTopp on to any bare spots and continue to work until the entire top is covered in foam.

Now rinse the cleaner off the top completely.

Continue rinsing until the water runs completely clear.

Now wash the rest your automobile as normal.

Protect Your Top Against the Elements

RaggTopp Fabric Top Protectant is an easy-to-use aerosol that provides valuable protection for your fabric top. Fabric Top Protectant creates a hydro-phobic surface that resists moisture and dramatic increase the tops resistant to staining and soiling. Built in UV protectors will increase sun-fade resistance as well.

Note: Always clean your top first with RaggTopp Convertible Top Cleaner to ensure maximum results.

Make sure your top is completely dry before application.

Towel dry your top using the blotting method and an absorbant soft towel like the Guzzler HD. Blotting (instead of wiping) will reduce any abrasion that could cause the fabric to become fuzzy.

You want the top to be completely dry before applying the RAGGTOP Fabric Convertible Top Protectant. This could take several hours (or more) depending on temperature and humidity. You could park the car in the sun to speed to process. There is a better option.

The Metro Master Blaster has been a favorite car drying tool for a long time, and for good reason. In addition to developing 8 horsepower of drying power it all features heated and filtered air. The heat developed by this product dramatically speeds the drying process.

In 10 minutes I had a completely dry top, although I waited an additional 30 minutes (as I dried the rest of the car) in order to ensure the surface was completely dry.

RaggTopp Fabric Convertible Top Protectant is an easy-to-use aerosol. I have gotten 20 coats (or more) from a single bottle.

For best results "paint" the top using smooth, overlapping passes. Make sure to cover the entire top. Any over spray on the windows and paint removes with ease, but try to avoid as much as possible.

Remove any over spray from windows and paint using a soft microfiber towel such as the Ultra Plush 600. It wipes away with ease. Do not let the over spray dry as it will become difficult to remove.

You can add a second coat 30 minutes after applying the first coat to ensure even coverage. Avoid getting the top wet until the surface is completely dry.

One last step to complete you top detailing. Most automobiles will allow you to open the top half-way. Clean the bottom of the top (where it seals against the paint), lubricate any hinges or joints, and vacuum and clean the storage compartment.

I applied Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick to the weather stripping/seal to keep it conditioned and working well. Now lower the top and enjoy the wind in your hair. Should the temperature drop or rain clouds appear you can be confident that your top will be as protected against the elements as it protects you.

BEFORE Raggtopp Treatment: The water beading is flat and the top is prone to sun fade, staining, and moisture

AFTER Raggtopp Treatment: The water beading is tight and runs from the top. The top is protected against moisture, staining, and sun fade.

Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
Vengeance Graphix

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Great write up
Old 07-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Todd@Autopia

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
CarolinaEd

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS Dusk Edition
Just what I was looking for. Thanks!
CarolinaEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
caramaro1969

Drives: 69,82,84 & 10 camaros,87 GMC,07z06
nice. i already did mine a long time ago wish i had this beforehand. are you doing the corvette caravan again next year? if so i'll see you in little rock at bale chevrolet!i have the yellow 07 z06 with black stripe with power tour and magnaflow stickers on back glass
caramaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
ericgoul

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS IBM L99
Does it work on the new jeep premium soft top (twill) from jeep or bestop ?

Last edited by ericgoul; 04-16-2013 at 07:30 PM.
ericgoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Nice write up
Old 10-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgoul View Post
Does it work on the new jeep premium soft top (twill) from jeep or bestop ?
Yes!