Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 07-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
BluePhoenix

Drives: GMC Sierra AT4
Questions I have about buying a used 5th gen SS

I'm currently in the market to purchase a used 5th gen SS. I have found a few cars that pique my interest and especially one in specific that really is grabbing my attention the more that I check out the installed options along with the color. The problem is that this vehicle along with several others I've checked out that they have had at least 2 or 3 previous owners, and the one that I'm the most interested in has had 3 previous owners which I think is odd for the model year being 2011 however it only has 17k miles on it and it is priced at $31k. I checked out the Carfax's on these vehicles and they do seem clean other than having multiple previous owners. Should this be an automatic red flag to walk away from that car? Or are the numbers of previous owners on a certain car irrelevant if the carfax checks clean and the car APPEARS to be mint condition when I look at it in person? Whatever car I buy will be a garage kept car and will probably only see about 5k-7.5k miles per year and my plan is to keep the car for the long term future.
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePhoenix View Post
I'm currently in the market to purchase a used 5th gen SS. I have found a few cars that pique my interest and especially one in specific that really is grabbing my attention the more that I check out the installed options along with the color. The problem is that this vehicle along with several others I've checked out that they have had at least 2 or 3 previous owners, and the one that I'm the most interested in has had 3 previous owners which I think is odd for the model year being 2011 however it only has 17k miles on it and it is priced at $31k. I checked out the Carfax's on these vehicles and they do seem clean other than having multiple previous owners. Should this be an automatic red flag to walk away from that car? Or are the numbers of previous owners on a certain car irrelevant if the carfax checks clean and the car APPEARS to be mint condition when I look at it in person? Whatever car I buy will be a garage kept car and will probably only see about 5k-7.5k miles per year and my plan is to keep the car for the long term future.
BluePhoenix,

We're definitely glad to hear you're considering a Camaro! That is a splendid vehicle choice. Have you owned a Camaro previously?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-09-2013, 04:01 AM   #3
pincoin
Camaro owner since 1982

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS-RS Conv IBM L99
I'd look around a little more
pincoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
scnhra

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS White
Send a message via ICQ to scnhra
My one owner is at Les Stanford in Dearborn, MI. Came up from Texas. Talk to Dennis Tap if interested let him know I sent you. They work great deals.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePhoenix View Post
What are the options? 17K is low mileage. My 2011 has 31K but I am the only owner. Three owners seems a little strange. Did you ask the seller why they are selling?

Good luck.
Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
BluePhoenix

Yeah I was thinking cars only a couple of years old with 2 or 3 previous owners is probably a bad thing, but just wanted to see some others opinions on it just to make sure I wasn't over reacting on it.

All the cars I've been looking at have been through Chevy dealerships, the car with 17k & 3 previous owners is an 2SS/RS A6, Imperial Blue with Cyber Gray rally stripes, it has accessory splash guards, SLP heritage SS badging, HUD, etc, no sunroof, and custom 6.2L badges on the sides of the cowl. I figured 17k miles was pretty low mileage for a 2011. Everything really interested me about the car except the 3 previous owners part, lol.

Thanks for the responses guys!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Maybe a Lemon....
Old 07-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

So, did you get anything yet?

Bill
Old 07-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Some people but on a whim and I always wanted one, then afterwards they realize maybe it was too hard to see out of or maybe it didn't have enough room inside or even their situation changes and it no longer fits into their needs.
3 owners are a lot for a 2011. If its a Chevy dealer he can check what warranty work has been performed on the car. That may give you a clue to if its a lemon or not.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
2014v6

Drives: 2014 black 2 LT
That car should be certified used if its worth the trouble... if its not certified somethings gotta be wrong
TPW 7-22-13(6-14-13)
3300 status 6-28-13
3400 status 7-18-13
3800 status 7-20-13
4200 status On its way home
6000 status 7-31-13 first camaro ever...
Sold 7-5-14.. thank you oshawa assembly
2014v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
CamaroTard

Drives: 2011 Camaro1LT/RS SGM
Hi, my name is Tony and I live in Ontario, Canada...there is a sweet Imperial Blue 2SS/RS 2010 model year with 980 km on it! The dealer is called Legendary Motor Car ltd. It is listed on autotrader.ca for 34,000 or so. It was purchased and stored by a collector from new, so no stories or hassles...they have a great reputation from what I hear and ship to the states frequently...just fyi[URL="legendarymotorcar.autotrader.ca
CamaroTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels

Drives: '17 Jet Black ZL1
If you have the VIN, call or take it by your local service department and tell them you're thinking of buying it, and ask them to run a service check on it for you. Any work that may have been done to at any GM service department should come up which should either put your mind at ease or raise a red flag. I've did this when I was shopping for my C5 Z06. I found a low mileage silver w/red interior Z06 at a good price, but when I ran the VIN, it came back as being in for a "stuck" transmission (replaced), leaking differential, and broken half-shafts and torque coupler .....needless to say, I passed on that one!

Having a few owners isn't necessarily a problem. Sometimes when cars are traded in and don't immediately sell, the dealerships will sell them to an auction house who then may sell it to another car dealership or individual. Some people have the means to get a new car every year or two, someone may have been laid off right after they bought their car......who knows?

If the Carfax comes up clean, the maintenance history from Gm doesn't show any indication of it being a "lemon" or abused" and it passes your visual inspection, I personally wouldn't rule it out just because of multiple owners.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
BluePhoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlingSS View Post
So, did you get anything yet?

Bill
Two cars I was very interested sold before I got to go look at them, so I'm playing a waiting game to find the right car now.

I appreciate the helpful info guys. Too bad the one w/ three owners was one that sold Friday before I was going to take a ride Saturday to look at it.