#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Apple quietly removes virus immunity claims

I own an Apple, and my first Mac (Mac +) was the first computer I ever had with a virus.

Though I've owned many Macs over the years, I've never been happy with Apple's marketing, especially on the claims that they never get virus'.

Seems their marketing department has finally gotten the memo.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/25818...ml#tk.rss_news
Old 06-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Always found that claim funny.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Ice Demon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS

Ice Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Envy
Bully Proof

Drives: C5 COTW 1/31/2011
I still use my G2 Mac almost daily and it has never had a virus, nor has my G3 which I still use all the time and my iBook and G5 have all been virus free too. My three PCs, on the other hand, are loaded down with virus protection yet constantly get infected anyway so I don't even use the d*mn things. No matter how you word it...a Mac has always been built to be safer and a PC will always be a frickin' money pit...lol.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Tessa
Mischief Managed

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT with silver rallys
It's a numbers game - more PC's equals more opportunity for people who create virus's to get the highest number of systems down. Broader range, less work.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
It's a numbers game - more PC's equals more opportunity for people who create virus's to get the highest number of systems down. Broader range, less work.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
good to see the claim be changed.

I much prefer PC's and have only gotten virus in very rare occasion (a trojan a couple years ago, and another trojan about 5-6 years ago when I started building computers). Apple just doesn't offer me the expandability or price-effectiveness I can get from a PC. A new video card/processor/etc. came out? I grab up the previous model (now price-slashed) and interchange parts in computers, etc.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I always thought those claims were funny too...
Old 06-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
I still use my G2 Mac almost daily and it has never had a virus, nor has my G3 which I still use all the time and my iBook and G5 have all been virus free too. My three PCs, on the other hand, are loaded down with virus protection yet constantly get infected anyway so I don't even use the d*mn things. No matter how you word it...a Mac has always been built to be safer and a PC will always be a frickin' money pit...lol.
a PC, a money pit? Have you purchased a Mac recently? Talk about a money pit. My custom built PC blows away a Mac Pro that costs twice as much. That's including speakers, mouse, keyboard & an IPS LCD. None of those you get when you buy a Mac Pro.

It's all about browsing habits & educating yourself when you're on a PC. I've been using a PC on an almost daily basis for 14 years, I only got one virus during that time. But hey, I was only 10 when that happened.

So it's not really that a Mac is safer, that's a false claim. It's the fact that code monkeys don't care enough about that 6%. Why target the 6% when you can target 85% of the computers out there?

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/oper...e.aspx?qprid=8
Old 06-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

I've used both for years. Each has it's place. I currently have a 17" MacBook Pro and a PC I bought through Falcon Northwest. I've also built many of my own computers.

You know what causes virus'? Some of you won't like hearing this...but...

IT'S STUPID USERS OF THE COMPUTERS is what causes virus'. What this means is 80% of people using computers have no idea how to be secure and just click "yes" on any window that pops up.

Though humorous, this video isn't too far off from many people who I've supported in IT in the past. Seriously, Sales & Marketing people are frikking idiots when it comes to safe computing.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Calling a PC a money pit is laughable. I sunk so much money into buying this damn MacBook Pro. Looking back, I could've gotten a much more powerful, much more capable PC for the same price or cheaper. And I wouldn't have had to deal with compatibility issues.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Calling a PC a money pit is laughable. I sunk so much money into buying this damn MacBook Pro. Looking back, I could've gotten a much more powerful, much more capable PC for the same price or cheaper. And I wouldn't have had to deal with compatibility issues.
My PC is a money pit, but I think I'm a special case

I'm usually on the bleeding edge when it comes to hardware.

I just bought a EVGA GeForce GTX-680 to upgrade my current GeForce 295s I currently have. It's been 2-1/2 years since I bought it.

I called in to Falcon Northwest to double check some things about getting this card, and the salesman looked at my computer and said "That thing is beastly". Now...for someone from Falcon-NW to call a computer "beastly" is pretty funny.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I'd use Linux if there was enough mainstream software support for it. But since there is not, I chose a mac because I can still get my terminal fix if need be. I used to use Linux as my only work PC when I was in college. And from a tool perspective, it is a lot easier to work with than PCs. I hate automating anything with Windows. My current job is a Windows only house and trying to automate stuff with Windows is always a bear or very expensive because you have to buy 3rd party sw to do just about anything on a large scale.

Since Windows makes me want to pull my hair out daily @ work, I enjoy using anything that is not Windows for leisure these days.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post

I've owned nothing but a PC and a few Linux boxes. I will never own a Mac because of the expensive proprietary of it.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote