Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-08-2017, 08:56 AM   #43
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Jinxed myself, 2-4” forecasted tonight, ugh.Time to pull out the cover.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:32 AM   #44
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue SS 1LE
I put mine up since the end of October. I'd opened it up one last time when it hit 60 degrees in MI. I think it was around December 4 or 5th of this year. After that last good day it started being 30 degrees or less so I'll wait till spring..Plus I consider it a bonus for me cause the money I am saving on car insurance by not driving it I can use it for MODS like adding the PowerStop brakes, Front Splitter, and Spoiler and so forth..

IG: BLUPRINT_1LE
YT: BLUPRINT_1LE

----------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmonba6Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #45
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burly View Post
Jinxed myself, 2-4” forecasted tonight, ugh.Time to pull out the cover.
Send it my way lol. Still haven't had a solid test for my new snow blower I bought last year. Snowed 3 times last year, most we got was maybe 3 inches of powder.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:10 PM   #46
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
While I am sure if I had the financial means to have the car as a toy I would do the same as you but I couldn't imagine buying a new car and stuffing it in the garage for 4-6 months out of the year.
I'm not sure where you live, but for myself, no way I can drive a 1LE with those tires through the winter. It's not advisable and at times simply dangerous. As for the 'toy' comment, you don't necessarily need to have the means. I make good money, but I also can't afford two new cars for myself. I have a 'winter beater' which is actually a 4 cylinder, four door, automatic, all around dependable 17 year old car that I bought for $2,000 and put a couple more hundred in to improve. I paid for the Camaro with full intention of using during fair weather. It's all about what you want, and what you prioritize. I wanted a toy, so I'm stuck with a beater for daily driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmonba6Gen View Post
I put mine up since the end of October. I'd opened it up one last time when it hit 60 degrees in MI. I think it was around December 4 or 5th of this year. After that last good day it started being 30 degrees or less so I'll wait till spring..Plus I consider it a bonus for me cause the money I am saving on car insurance by not driving it I can use it for MODS like adding the PowerStop brakes, Front Splitter, and Spoiler and so forth..
Did you buy the car outright?
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:57 PM   #47
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
We're having snow here today. They are supposed to send the salt trucks out tonight. Supposed to quit by tomorrow afternoon. Then I will have to wait till it rains to wash the salt off the roads before I bring the camaro out again.
Magnum922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:08 PM   #48
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
I'm not sure where you live, but for myself, no way I can drive a 1LE with those tires through the winter. It's not advisable and at times simply dangerous. As for the 'toy' comment, you don't necessarily need to have the means. I make good money, but I also can't afford two new cars for myself. I have a 'winter beater' which is actually a 4 cylinder, four door, automatic, all around dependable 17 year old car that I bought for $2,000 and put a couple more hundred in to improve. I paid for the Camaro with full intention of using during fair weather. It's all about what you want, and what you prioritize. I wanted a toy, so I'm stuck with a beater for daily driving.

Did you buy the car outright?
When I had my Mustang I drove it year round. Should have worded my original post better, having a third car just as something for fun right now is out of the equation for me right now is what I meant to say more or less. That and I can't imagine making payments on something sitting there for 5 months lol
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:11 PM   #49
franksredhot

Drives: 2016 Red Hot Camaro 1SS A8
Has anyone here actually experienced damage to the summer tires from using them in the winter? I've been driving muscle cars for 30 years and remember how bad summer tires were in the cold. The stock tires don't seem too hard even in cold temps. Of course I'm avoiding snow, ice, and salt. Otherwise NYC roads are crappy all year round so there's no point to keeping my car locked up all winter. NYC roads damage your car all year round!
franksredhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:58 PM   #50
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Iv seen it. read about a few people who have too. Local dealer to me put new Good Year F1 Supercar tires on a 13 Zo6 I wanted to buy then it sat in the lot unmoved all winter. All 4 were all cracked up. Sean plenty of kids around here that put their cars in the ditch because they were on summer only tires. Usually on the interstate. I looked up my Michelin Pilot Super Sports. One guy said his cracked after the 2nd year of winter storage.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:45 PM   #51
Lerch98

Drives: 2017 2SS black on black on black.
I had my Black SS out on Sunday the 3rd. Car went into storage today. It is supposed to snow tonight and still be cold and nasty for a week at least. Hard to say what the weather will be like. But maybe I can get the car out for Christmas and lay some Christmas burners.

Last Year, I got the Camaro out in February, and then back into storage for March (Winters return).

Here in Milwaukee (Rust capitol of the world), anything can happen. If it snows they put 2 inches of salt down for every inch of snow. and if the word snow is mentioned they will even dump salt.
Salt ****s up cars.

P.S. I use a battery tender, the car has a cover and sits in a heated garage (Yes this car is spoiled)
Lerch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:54 PM   #52
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
I wish I didn't have to park my SS for the winter either, and honestly, most winters (last winter excluded) we don't get enough snow to keep the SS in hibernation more than a few occasional days of snow or ice, if it were my only car. However, these summer tires are no good once the temps get into the 40s and below, and I can't imagine what they'd be like on borderline freezing rain temps.

Fortunately, I have the LT to fall back on for the winter duty with a new set of Blizzak winter tires that are about as good as it gets for most winter driving.

The worst part of winter driving around here is the crap they put on the roads to fight ice. I call it potato slime since I've heard its made from potato skins or something, but, even though I guess it helps with ice, it turns your car black when it gets thrown off the tires. Washes off and doesn't seem to hurt the paint, but sure makes a mess out of your car!

So, while the Blue Beast rests comfortably in the cozy garage, Raging Red gets to fight the slop, slime, salt, and rocks of the winter roads!
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #53
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue SS 1LE
No I didn't buy the car outright, but I do owe a fairly small amount on the car. I know others will say that cant imagine paying monthly payments on a car to sit for 5 months but think about the people who drive supercars and only drive the for 4/5 months and most owners finance them as well. This also depends on what side of the country your on as well. In regards to the summer tires cracking.. I will let you know after winter is over because I have car cover on mines outside currently and I was wondering about that too but again I dont think it will be a big deal as well when dealerships leave they cars outside all year around. Just my 2 cents.

IG: BLUPRINT_1LE
YT: BLUPRINT_1LE

----------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmonba6Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #54
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksredhot View Post
Has anyone here actually experienced damage to the summer tires from using them in the winter? I've been driving muscle cars for 30 years and remember how bad summer tires were in the cold. The stock tires don't seem too hard even in cold temps. Of course I'm avoiding snow, ice, and salt. Otherwise NYC roads are crappy all year round so there's no point to keeping my car locked up all winter. NYC roads damage your car all year round!
The higher performance your summer performance tires are, the more this is going to be an issue.

Luckily, it's just been raining here in Alaska for the last few weeks :(
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote