Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-25-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Found my constant coolant smell - Radiator leaking from top

Have any of you had one of these radiators fail? After my engine swap I constantly have the smell of hot coolant. I recently washed under hood, the fan assembly, and radiator thinking it was spillage from when it was filled that lingering or cooking off hot parts. Nope.

Ran it to temp today and found this. It is hard to tell in the pics, but it is definitely a very slow leak along the passenger side top of radiator where the plastic top is crimped to the main body. It is right at that joint. I could see a very slow bubble at times.

Time for a new radiator I guess.
Attached Images

2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:14 PM   #2
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
I personally would drop a couple GM sealing tabs into the system. They work great without making a mess. You could try crimping the tabs a bit more but If I remember I believe there is a gasket under that plastic tank that may have deteriorated from old coolant etc.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:27 PM   #3
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
That’s the stupidest advice you could give someone. Might as well just take the radiator out and loop the upper and lower rad hose.. I remember reading somewhere that you gain a few extra HP from running the engine a little hotter.

Change the radiator and call it a day.. at least they are relatively easy to change in the Camaro. You can always have a certified radiator repair center take a peak at it and see if it’s cheaper to repair it.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:29 PM   #4
CamaroBarb
Banned

Yeah its dumb enough nothing leaves the GM factory without the tabs in the coolant......

opps I didn't see you are a GM tech. I stand corrected, NOW I KNOW I"M RIGHT HAHA HA
Old 12-25-2019, 05:44 PM   #5
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
you arent going to fix one of these new half plastic radiators.just replace it and call it a day.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:08 PM   #6
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Time for an upgrade
Old 12-25-2019, 06:27 PM   #7
InFiD3ViL

Yeah, I'm going to change it. This engine has 800 miles on it. I don't want any stop leak running through it. I'm sure it would be fine, but I am weird like that.
I mainly posted the pics for others that don't know that may be a possible failure/leak point.

No need to argue guys, it's Christmas. Wait until tomorrow lol.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
Old 12-25-2019, 07:00 PM   #8
CamaroBarb
Banned

The GM sealing tabs are number 1 though. Every engine GM spits out gets at least 2-4 depending on the vehicle. My old 98 Camaro 3800 had 6 tabs in it and it worked fine no clogging issues. Most dealers live by them if ya know what I'm saying hint hint

Actually you can buy the tank seal and tools to replace that tank, is it worth it....NO
Old 12-25-2019, 07:19 PM   #9
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
The GM sealing tabs are number 1 though. Every engine GM spits out gets at least 2-4 depending on the vehicle. My old 98 Camaro 3800 had 6 tabs in it and it worked fine no clogging issues. Most dealers live by them if ya know what I'm saying hint hint

Actually you can buy the tank seal and tools to replace that tank, is it worth it....NO
That’s one more reason the dealer doesn’t touch my stuff...
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:34 PM   #10
CamaroBarb
Banned

Aluminum is porous if they didn't use them they would have constant coolant leaks internally. Its actually very safe, you wouldn't even know they were in there from looking at the coolant. What you may notice if there are small leaks that stopped are small areas that look white like something dripped there at some time. I use them in every time I change coolant. 1 tab per gal and GM recommends 6 per system believe it or not.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:39 PM   #11
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Aluminum is porous if they didn't use them they would have constant coolant leaks internally. Its actually very safe, you wouldn't even know they were in there from looking at the coolant. What you may notice if there are small leaks that stopped are small areas that look white like something dripped there at some time. I use them in every time I change coolant. 1 tab per gal and GM recommends 6 per system believe it or not.
Barb, this what you talking about?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...waAkhoEALw_wcB

"Chevrolet Performance coolant system seal tablets are organically formulated and designed for use in radiator systems to seal or prevent leaks due to casting porosity in engine components.

Coolant system seal tablet details:

* Non-toxic
* DEX-COOL compatible
* Engine application is based on liters of volume in cooling system
* Formulated for automotive use"

To be honest, I have never seen these before. You learn something new every day.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:08 PM   #12
CamaroBarb
Banned

Thats them, I've used them a very long time in every car I've owned. Saved alot of bs small repairs and heads off big repairs like leaky heater core before they become unsealable. I had a old TA that had a porous head, always used a small amount of coolant. I put 1 tab in and it never used a drop after and you could not tell it was in the coolant. Same with those plastic side tanks start seeping, 1 tab will probably seal it. Thing is GM puts them in every thing they make but when you flush the coolant you don't put them back in so you loose that protection. Cheap insurance and every dealer that knows anything swears by them , saves a lot of work fixing bs leaks.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:23 PM   #13
CamaroBarb
Banned

250 reviews here https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-GM-12.../dp/B000QIH3C4
Old 12-25-2019, 08:57 PM   #14
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
I’m familiar with them, they first came out in the mid ‘80s if I’m not mistaken for the aluminum head tpi 350’s the vettes of the day had. I’ve used them before. No real harm was done when using them for me. What I was getting at is the fact that I could see a dealer monkey adding them in to “fix” a more serious problem.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote