Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
smegal417

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
factory hid bulbs "burning out"

so I've had this car about 4 months and ever since I got it it has had a flickering issue that goes from one side or the other on the lights. both bulbs have went out and were replaced 3 months ago and now one went out again last night. it does have led fog lamps, and I'm wondering if that is causing the issue? I don't think it is both ballasts. maybe it is but that'd be terrible luck. Im leaning towards a ground issue as well. I've tried searching for a diagram and haven't been able to find it. does anyone know where the actual ground for the headlights are? also the fog lights din when the turn signal is used. which is why I'm thinking maybe they have something to do with it maybe it isn't sending the bulb and pushes more voltage to the ballasts? idk. I'm at a loss.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
smegal417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:35 PM   #2
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Your over thinking this.

Firstly LED fog lights or DRL’s in your case have nothing to do with your headlamps flickering or your bulbs failing. Second, to my best of knowledge each headlamp has its own separate ground, the odds of having two bad, loose grounds is very unlikely unless the car was in a severe front end collision and wasn’t repaired properly. Was your car factory equipped with OEM HID/halo style headlamps or did someone retrofit this kit in the car?

I recall the headlamp ballasts being non serviceable and are replaced with the lamp assembly... Don’t quote me on this but I recall the bulbs being available separate but everything else is serviced as a unit. If you used aftermarket bulbs chances are those bulbs are shit and went out on you. There’s also a good chance your ballast could be going out but without having spare parts to swap out and use as trial and error to diagnose your condition you’ll be spending money blindly.

This isn’t a high voltage issue from the ballast or a wiring issue within the lamp. I doubt you have two bad grounds causing the exact same thing intermittently from side to side. Your best bet is to find a quality replacement aftermarket bulb and ballast kit and swap both out and your condition will most likely be repaired.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:48 PM   #3
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Btw most Camaros do not come with Fog's the Drl's there were most likely replaced of course by someone with LED's and then the wiring cross wired with the side markers…(Vendors sell a jumper wire for a kit to do this , or diygen5.com), the side effect is to keep the halos operational from feedback, and the Drl's constant on with the head lights like a fog light with the 2ss and halo's. I personally used just Cross wiring myself as T-Taps on kits......to accomplish this power jumping loosen and short.... Unless you actually have a circular knob on the dash on the left side of steering wheel you do not have the optional fog lights which would be rare and non LED.... usually a 13w Led is just replacing the DRL bulb.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #4
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Ya I didn’t take in account this car may have that Halo/DRL harness type thing installed on the car.. either way it doesn’t/shouldn’t affect the operation of the headlamps HID bulbs.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #5
smegal417

my car is a factory 2SS/RS car. They're not technically fog lights. they are the drls and I called them fogs. I have had the front nose off during a cam install. all the wiring is untouched and whoever had it before me installed the led bulbs. you can buy the ballasts and replace them. they mount to the bottom of the headlight assembly. the first hid to go out was the passenger side. it was the factory bulb. I then bought 2 hids from summit racing and had no issues until last month when the passenger side yet again went out. since I had the driver side bulb that was still good I just put it in until I could figure it all out. last night the other aftermarket one, this time on the driver side went out. so today I went and bought 2 factory style osrams to replace them both.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:08 AM   #6
FrankNstein1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
2010 2SS/RS, passenger headlight is fading for the third time. I’m going to replace the ballast.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:11 AM   #7
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
what bulbs are you using to replace them with?

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:55 PM   #8
smegal417

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9fordkiller View Post
what bulbs are you using to replace them with?
factory osrams from gm

Old 01-26-2020, 11:22 PM   #9
JohnnyComeLately

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
My drivers side just shifted to a reddish color. What ended up fixing this for you?
Old 01-29-2020, 09:52 PM   #10
smegal417

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyComeLately View Post
My drivers side just shifted to a reddish color. What ended up fixing this for you?
It was faulty hid bulbs.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2023, 06:11 AM   #11
Sbutcher2
Blue Ray

Drives: Camaro 2SS 1LE, Blue Ray
In my research there's a lot of different types of Fog Lamp replacements. SO far I like the Diode Dynamic lamp replacements. A few posts have had a long run on the life and there made in the USA.