Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-01-2015, 06:40 PM   #29
suplex

Drives: 2011 Coupe, 1LT, A6, No RS Package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
CT6, not CR6.
Thanks, sorry for the mixup.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #30
ardailsmith

Drives: 2012 2LT LFX A6 RS Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Lots of assumptions going on in this thread.
In this thread? This entire forum is us talking about a car that none of us owns.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #31

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I have experience with start/stop....A gas powered golf-cart....lol....It actually works pretty good!...lol..

.My guess is if it comes in Camaros and it works as advertised as a gas saver in stop and go traffic, it will become another famous forum non-issue...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:30 PM   #32
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardailsmith View Post
In this thread? This entire forum is us talking about a car that none of us owns.
Not only none of us own but few of us have seen in person much less have driven.....
Old 06-01-2015, 09:49 PM   #33
AkaiDoragon

Drives: 2003 Mazda Protege ES
I personally wouldn't mind if the feature does end up being in the Camaro. I just wonder how much gas the start/stop feature actually saves, it really doesn't seem to be much unless people are frequently caught in terrible traffic.
AkaiDoragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:51 PM   #34
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
When I bought my 2015 Malibu. the standard 2.5 4 cyc NA engine DID come with Start/Stop, but the optional 2.0 4cyl turbo does NOT have start/stop, and this is the same turbo 4 that'll be in the new Camaro.

I have no idea about the 6cyl or 8cyl.
Oh God no....

I hated this so much in my 15' Malibu I disconnected the hood switch sensor to disable it. I'd rather live with the check engine light vs. the Start/Stop feature...
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:26 PM   #35
ardailsmith

Here are my thoughts or some may say assumptions. All cars have two millages for MPG CITY and HYW and then there is the average.

Now the Stop/Start technology should only affect your CITY numbers and the AFM will only affect your HYW numbers. Now the question that everyone has is how much will this help and or hurt the car over all.

I own a 2012 LFX that has a claimed combined number of 30 MPG that it never reaches. On the 2013 and 14 GM dropped that combined to 28 MPG. My prediction is that with the weight loss, AFM and Stop/Start (GM calls it Stop/Start because Start/Stop makes no sense: your driving and you come to a stop so the engine Stops you take your foot of the break and the engine starts. You don't start and it Stops and then you stop and it Starts). Anyway with those three factor I believe that the V6 2016 Camaro will easily hit the 30 MPG mark. I think it will be listed at 32 MPG.

Now if you recall this Camaro has a driver control switch that lets you chose the mood you want. I believe that if the car comes with AFM and Stop/Start switching the car to Sport mode will disable both features. And you will see your numbers drop to under 30 MPG.

These are my assumptions and I am sticking to them until I feel that wheel in my hand ad the pedal under my foot.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #36
Kahdir

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
No thanks... heck, I don't even want cylinder deactivation
Kahdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:38 PM   #37
ardailsmith

HICAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidian View Post
I don't know how it is currently implemented, but that idea is pretty dated. Nissan and Honda were doing it late80's/early 90s. My 1990 Nissan 300zxTT has it, it's called HICAS on those cars. There was a big discussion on whether it actually HURT your handling, possibly causing you to spin out faster in a curve. Hopefully the modern versions of it are better.
This is from the Z32 Wiki -HICAS https://z32.wikispaces.com/HICAS
https://youtu.be/tSqT_8vxgHk

HICAS activates at about 55mph and self-disables at 125mph. When quickly entering a turn, the rear wheels briefly turn in-phase with the front wheels. As soon as the driver counter-steers (to straighten or enter the next turn), the rear wheels shift and turn counter-phase to the front wheels. By allowing the rear to turn counter-phase to the front wheels in a controlled manner, it helped to prevent the rear from stepping out and fish-tailing. Because the system could continue to turn the rear wheels counter-phase, it made the Z32 handle exceptionally well through a slalom (or quick, connecting opposite turns), which was considered an important feature of many publication's driving tests during the time of the Z32's release.

Early Style
From 1990 to 1993, HICAS was hydraulically actuated by means of the power steering system. Two solenoids in the engine bay were connected to two hydraulic lines that ran to the HICAS steering rack at the back of the car. The HICAS rack was a cylindrical rack with a tie-rod on either side, like a conventional steering rack. Internally, it had a large diaphragm (connected to the tie rods) in the center, with a springs on either side pushing towards each other (to keep the rack centered). When the solenoids in the engine bay opened, they allowed hydraulic pressure through the lines to either side (left or right) of the HICAS rack. With the additional pressure, one side would "overpower" the spring in the other side of the rack, and allow the rack to move to one side, bringing the tie rods with it. The rack would turn the wheels up to one degree in either direction. By controlling the pulse width of the actuation solenoids, the HICAS control unit could change the amount of fluid pressurizing in the lines and thus the steering angle of the rear wheels.

Criticisms
For day-to-day commutes, most drivers never even notice the HICAS system. Nissan was able to justify it due to the added safety in preventing fishtailing during emergency maneuvers, and while it arguably helps the Z32 handle slightly better, those who take their Zs to the track often complain of a "vague" feeling from the rear end, due to HICAS trying to keep the rear wheels planted. Some even say that the HICAS system adds an element of unpredictability that actually makes the car more dangerous, and difficult to control during hard cornering. For these reasons, many owners delete the HICAS system from their cars. This can be done by using a HICAS Elminator Bar and removing/capping the power steering lines (on 90-93 cars). Some go so far to convert the power steering pump and lines to use parts from an NA, for added simplicity.

My other car is a 1992 300zx TT with HICAS
Old 06-02-2015, 06:27 AM   #38
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Here are my thoughts or some may say assumptions. All cars have two millages for MPG CITY and HYW and then there is the average.

Now the Stop/Start technology should only affect your CITY numbers and the AFM will only affect your HYW numbers. Now the question that everyone has is how much will this help and or hurt the car over all.

I own a 2012 LFX that has a claimed combined number of 30 MPG that it never reaches. On the 2013 and 14 GM dropped that combined to 28 MPG. My prediction is that with the weight loss, AFM and Stop/Start (GM calls it Stop/Start because Start/Stop makes no sense: your driving and you come to a stop so the engine Stops you take your foot of the break and the engine starts. You don't start and it Stops and then you stop and it Starts). Anyway with those three factor I believe that the V6 2016 Camaro will easily hit the 30 MPG mark. I think it will be listed at 32 MPG.

Now if you recall this Camaro has a driver control switch that lets you chose the mood you want. I believe that if the car comes with AFM and Stop/Start switching the car to Sport mode will disable both features. And you will see your numbers drop to under 30 MPG.

These are my assumptions and I am sticking to them until I feel that wheel in my hand ad the pedal under my foot.
Just to be clear, the S/S wont impact the highway number. AFM may get 30 or 31 in the V6 but if it does, the L4 better get 35 which is crazy.

AFM is good or 1 or so. Aerodynamics are a huge impact Cd should be lower just because the car is smaller.

But I'm curious how the Camaro, which had a top highway number of 30 in the LS could reach a combined 30. Combined is a number that includes highway and city. Today it's 17/28 so combined is 22 or 23.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:00 AM   #39
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:

The only LFX that had a 30mpg rating was the 2LS, the manual had a 28 mpg Rating and the LT automatic had a 29 mpg rating on the HWY. a couple weeks ago on a trip to Richmond Va I averaged 31.6mpg on mine. I used the cruise control set on 72 mph. Your car can go over 30mpg under the right conditions. In fact every car I have owned I have been able to beat the Hwy numbers. Now the city I can't beat, probably because I like to accelerate faster than they do in the tests.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:28 AM   #40
Bassment

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS M6
I would not be surprised if the automatic v6/v8 transmissions have stop/start, since they have AFM. Very unlikely the manual has stop/start.
Bassment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:44 AM   #41
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
I don't see stop/start technology being used on this generation of camaro. Maybe on the next Gen MAYBE but serious doubt it. I don't wanna see start/stop technology on a performance car and I don't see it happening anytime soon or ever.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #42
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:

I own a 2012 LFX that has a claimed combined number of 30 MPG that it never reaches. On the 2013 and 14 GM dropped that combined to 28 MPG. ...
Not combined...that is highway mileage. Combined it is in the 22 - 24 range.