Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-02-2015, 05:09 PM   #57
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Sorry to hear about your car OP.

This makes me wonder how many people ever managed to put out an engine fire with an extinguisher. I keep seeing stories like this, and after everyone chimes in saying they should have had an extinguisher you find out they did in fact have one or more.

For what it's worth you mentioned it was too hot to open the hood, but that is the last thing you should do anyway. That would just feed more oxygen to the fire. If you can get close enough you should spray from the grille, wheel wells, or underneath.

I'm not too worried about my slightly modified Camaro, but I have an old Roadmaster which probably has hundreds of components that could fail anytime and start a fire. I have a small extinguisher in the trunk, but it sounds like putting out a fire with that might be wishful thinking.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #58
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuf Cruz View Post
Just curious!
It's obvious that its modified and most likely due to the owners modification of the fuel system to support the N20 etc...

Would insurance have any obligation to pay this? I would think not!

Most important is that everyone got out OK!
Why wouldn't they? Unless he purposely damaged it to make a claim they would have no reason to deny him. Clearly that isn't the case. The car was damaged the same as if he was in a big accident. If non stock parts were an issue with insurance companies they wouldn't be so quick to replace them with aftermarket ones themselves...

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:29 PM   #59
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I am so sorry for your loss. Very happy you & your kids got out okay. Scary stuff right there. Hope you get yourself a new permagrin maker very soon!
Old 03-02-2015, 08:34 PM   #60
simon.w
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS RS 6M Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post

This makes me wonder how many people ever managed to put out an engine fire with an extinguisher. I keep seeing stories like this, and after everyone chimes in saying they should have had an extinguisher you find out they did in fact have one or more.

For what it's worth you mentioned it was too hot to open the hood, but that is the last thing you should do anyway. That would just feed more oxygen to the fire. If you can get close enough you should spray from the grille, wheel wells, or underneath.

I'm not too worried about my slightly modified Camaro, but I have an old Roadmaster which probably has hundreds of components that could fail anytime and start a fire. I have a small extinguisher in the trunk, but it sounds like putting out a fire with that might be wishful thinking.

I've done it ... three times with an extinguisher believe it or not. BUT you have to get to it VERY quickly - and of course it depends on the intensity of the fire. Some electrical and oil are not so intense. I don't think anything would have helped here however.

If your extinguisher is within easy reach, and you can pull over quickly, it is possible. That's why the extinguisher bracket I make goes at the front of the drivers or passenger's seat. If you had to get it out of the trunk, or from behind the seat ... it's all over. Especially crazy in a Camaro putting it in the trunk ... that's where the battery is ... a common source of fires.
simon.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:43 AM   #61
RobWH

Drives: Silverado
Good thing everyone got out. That's what really matters. The car can be replaced easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11TexaSS View Post
My dad is a TV repair man...he's got an ultimate set of tools. We can fix it!! ��
About 3 people have a clue here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnturboray View Post
My bother is gonna shit, he's gonna kill us!

So would that now be burnt orange????
and we may be them! If ya weren't around prior to 1970, you probably just "got lucky" to see that hilarious flick.. FT@RH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
What would insurance do in that case? Would they just deny it and send you back to GM and point at the warranty?
GM has nothing to do w/ it at this point, unless it's the battery that caused it and nothing extra has ever been bolted to those wires. It's all about the insurance company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricksta View Post
This is why i will be investing in a fire extinguisher
Not for nuthin' because I support the use and have carried one since about 1993. I've had only 1 fire and used my own extinguisher to successfully put it out, but... I was expecting it because my car had a carburetor I'd been tuning and even though I had my 5pt harness on, I was going 0mph just as it popped(quietly) and able to un-clip and get out. All that said, an extinguisher is almost never of value for a fuel line break while running and @ 10psi or more and these cars, any EFI engine, will be over 30. Just shut off what you can and run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
they'll pay it as a comprehensive claim.
Exactly. That's why we pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Utah View Post
To a few of you that asked, I did have a fire extinguisher in the car. In the few seconds it took me to grab it, and get the kids out of the car.. it was too hot to even get the hood up (I had popped the release before getting out) so there really wasn't anywhere to spray...

The cash wash employees had two large extinguishers, but they faced the same problem. We couldn't get to the engine bay.

And frankly I was concerned about it hitting the trunk. I have a nitrous tank, and a 3 gallon tank of methanol. So I chose to back everyone away and wait for the professionals...
Correct move. Nitrous would've been no problem, but METHANOL... no, not to be trifled w/ in it's least volatile form. It burns, period. You did what you could and should have. Congratulations on getting everyone out safely.

The only surprise to me is that this was a fuel line rather than a battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuf Cruz View Post
Just curious!
It's obvious that its modified and most likely due to the owners modification of the fuel system to support the N20 etc...

Would insurance have any obligation to pay this? I would think not!!
As long as the policy is "normal" and paid up to date, he's 100% covered beyond deductible. If there's some sort of oddball rider or stipulation, that could be different. However, I've simply never heard of any such policy.

Insurance is purchased to pay for scenarios exactly like the one we're looking at here. Unless they can prove arson or some other purposeful illegal act on the part of the owner or on his behalf, they pay it and move on... it's probably the law in all of America. Okay, enough ranting from this newbie.
RobWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:57 AM   #62
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.w View Post
I've done it ... three times with an extinguisher believe it or not. BUT you have to get to it VERY quickly - and of course it depends on the intensity of the fire. Some electrical and oil are not so intense. I don't think anything would have helped here however.

If your extinguisher is within easy reach, and you can pull over quickly, it is possible. That's why the extinguisher bracket I make goes at the front of the drivers or passenger's seat. If you had to get it out of the trunk, or from behind the seat ... it's all over. Especially crazy in a Camaro putting it in the trunk ... that's where the battery is ... a common source of fires.
Good to hear it can be done. I should probably keep one more accessible in my old car. It's at least good to think about what I would do now, no seconds to waste if it happens.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:11 AM   #63
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
Why wouldn't they? Unless he purposely damaged it to make a claim they would have no reason to deny him. Clearly that isn't the case. The car was damaged the same as if he was in a big accident. If non stock parts were an issue with insurance companies they wouldn't be so quick to replace them with aftermarket ones themselves...
Insurance policies are pretty specific about what they cover and when the insurance company must be notified if the owner significantly increases performance. They cover certain kinds of aftermarket equipment, but sometimes only up to a specific dollar value.

Hopefully the OP has 'crossed his t's and dotted his i's' with the insurance company on his car, because those are some pretty significant modifications.

I'd be interested in hearing how all this plays out...
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #64
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Always carry a fire extinguisher in your car if you done any power performance mods....

Go see Simon here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=extinguisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Utah View Post
To a few of you that asked, I did have a fire extinguisher in the car. In the few seconds it took me to grab it, and get the kids out of the car.. it was too hot to even get the hood up (I had popped the release before getting out) so there really wasn't anywhere to spray...

The cash wash employees had two large extinguishers, but they faced the same problem. We couldn't get to the engine bay.

And frankly I was concerned about it hitting the trunk. I have a nitrous tank, and a 3 gallon tank of methanol. So I chose to back everyone away and wait for the professionals...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post

I have read that a gallon of gasoline is the same as 60 sticks of dynamite. Add in NOS, meth and battery acid...

The OP did the right thing, the smart thing. He got out of the car and kept a safe distance.

If you are really concerned about fire safety, install an automatic fire suppression system. I am not recommending this system. It is just for illustration.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=2426
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:24 AM   #65
LTRS777

Drives: 2014 Saleen 620 White Label #14-011
I am sorry if I missed it, but was it a fuel line or connector that broke? Was it an aftermarket fuel line / connector or OEM under too much pressure? (just thinking about my future plans for my car as well)
'14 Saleen 620 White Label #14-011
ADM LSA Stage 1 Kit, ADM 2.75 Pulley, DEKA 63lb injectors,
ZL1 Fuel Pump, JLT 123MM Big Mouth intake, TSP 2" LTHs,
BW TB, 2.5" Catback, Scott Culbert/GEN3PERF tuned!
573WHP/557WTQ @ 10psi.
Build Thread Here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390708

LTRS777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:31 AM   #66
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.w View Post
Simon, I installed your extinguisher bracket today. It is perfect. Fit beautifully, and is basically hidden under the front passenger seat. Just so you know, it does work with Recaro seats too. Hopefully, I will never need it, but thanks for sending me one. It is a little peace of mind!.. Good luck developing it. It is something that every Camaro should have. Here are a couple of pictures. Install took all of five minutes.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2015, 11:28 AM   #67
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I have read that a gallon of gasoline is the same as 60 sticks of dynamite. Add in NOS, meth and battery acid...

The OP did the right thing, the smart thing. He got out of the car and kept a safe distance.

If you are really concerned about fire safety, install an automatic fire suppression system. I am not recommending this system. It is just for illustration.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=2426
We always had a fire extinguisher in the '69 (NHRA Rules). On one pass, the cabin filled with smoke at about the 1000 foot mark. I got the car slowed down a bit, off the track, harness unbuckled, and before the car was stopped, I was over the roll bar and out of the car. Trying to save the car was the last thing on my mind. It was a blown engine with little to no fire, and the car was saved. The track folks thanked me for not oiling the whole track, but suggested I wait until the car was a little more stopped before I bailed. I am with Pete here. OP did the right thing. He got himself and his kids out and to safety. The car is not worth getting hurt over.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #68
xcfhxcgh

Drives: m1
Thank GOD you got out and you and your kids are safe. You can always get another car.
xcfhxcgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:48 AM   #69
simon.w
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS RS 6M Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
Simon, I installed your extinguisher bracket today. It is perfect. Fit beautifully, and is basically hidden under the front passenger seat. Just so you know, it does work with Recaro seats too. Hopefully, I will never need it, but thanks for sending me one. It is a little peace of mind!.. Good luck developing it. It is something that every Camaro should have. Here are a couple of pictures. Install took all of five minutes.
Thanks Jamie ... glad you like it and you found the install easy.

There is a whole lot of piece of mind in know there is an extinguisher within easy reach isn't there!

I've always thought about it like this ... even if the fire is too advanced to put out ... the extinguisher may help me keep the fire at bay long enough for my kids to get out of the back seat. Can't put a value on that.

Once they're safely out ... walk away. No possession is worth serious injury or death.
simon.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:04 PM   #70
Ernest T

Drives: 2014 RS
When I was in the Air Force a young guy who worked for me had a '72 Nova that was all tricked out. He was messing with it in his garage one day and caught it on fire. They didn't have a fire extinguisher, but he and two other guys managed to push it out of the garage before it caught the house on fire.....with the emergency brake on. Adrenalin is a awesome thing.
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote